VOGONS

First post, by Erik765

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there,

I've recently fired up a DX-33 build but have been unsuccessful at getting the cache working (testing with cachechk).

I've set the bios options to whatever size chips I have installed and have tried what was on the board originally (64k) as well as replacing them with a 256k set I pulled from a working 486 system, adjusting the jumper (j12) accordingly.

Haven't had any luck though. Cachechk always states 'this system doesn't seem to have any cache installed' 🙁

The board is- http://th99.classic-computing.de/src/m/E-H/30083.htm

Pretty great board so far, except for this one issue 🙁

Am I missing something, or does anyone have any tips on anything I can try or check?

Thanks in advance

Reply 1 of 10, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't know if I can help, but may I ask if the 64K cache did work originally ?
One of my 386 boards is missing some additional cache controller chips, because the previous owner removed them
(they look similar to cache chips themselves and are socketed, as well).
Because of this, I always got a "cache faulty" warning during bootup until I disabled the whole cache thing in the CMOS.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 10, by Erik765

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The 64k was not working originally, no 🙁

I've been unable to get any amount of cache working at all.

What are cache controller chips, exactly? Is that different than the chips themselves or the tag chip? I wonder if mine are faulty as well, if so.

Thanks.

Reply 4 of 10, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are the sockets at U30, U31 and U43 filled?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 6 of 10, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can you take a picture of the tags?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 8 of 10, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like the tag SRAMs are fine, but you only mention J12. Are JP8-11 open?

"The Big Bang. The ultimate hero of low frequency. The divine intergalactical bass drum connecting the tribes of our solar system."
Yello
"Solar Driftwood"

Reply 9 of 10, by Erik765

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

They are, yes.

I have since given up on this board though since it began freezing entirely after posting no matter what I'm trying to boot from. I managed to find another (better) board since after so many different issues on this one, it was deemed unworthy of further troubleshooting. Probably a bad chipset, is my best guess 🙁

Thanks for all the help and feedback.

Reply 10 of 10, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Erik765 wrote:

They are, yes.

You can't blame me for asking 😀

I have since given up on this board though since it began freezing entirely after posting no matter what I'm trying to boot from. I managed to find another (better) board since after so many different issues on this one, it was deemed unworthy of further troubleshooting. Probably a bad chipset, is my best guess

Sounds like it was having issues, for sure.

Sorry I didn't have the magic bullet!

"The Big Bang. The ultimate hero of low frequency. The divine intergalactical bass drum connecting the tribes of our solar system."
Yello
"Solar Driftwood"