VOGONS

First post, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can your recommend Anti-Virus solutions I can get updates for (dont have to be current, but something more recent) for the following OS's:

Windows 3.1
Windows 95C
Windows 98SE
Windows 2000
Windows XP

Like I said, doesnt have to be current as I doubt most, if not all, arent...but some sort of patching to get them updated to when they stopped being supported?

I have these all in a Retro PC Workgroup on my network, with them each having a static IP and their MAC's blocked from any outbound or inbound traffic. But they are on the same subnet as my other, Windows 7 and Windows 10 Home Computers (My Verizon Quantum Gateway doesnt do VLANs and the switches I have connected are dumb switches, so no config available)

Reply 1 of 7, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use Avast 4.x on my Windows 2000 machine. It is lightweight and still get updates.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 2 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

NT4 and above Mcafee 8.5 works and still receives updates.
Think the last version to support 9x was 4.5, and would think updates still work but not sure on that.

Only have AV on my NT4 server as that's got archive of lot of old games don't mind the performance hit over bit of extra security

Reply 3 of 7, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With my Retro PC's (Win 3.1 - Win XP) in a Workgroup, with their IP's reserved and MAC Addresses blocked from outgoing or incoming connections, is AV that big a need for them? They are on the same subnet as my other computers that do have Internet access, but are well protected.

And all computers sit behind a firewall.

Reply 4 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Your doing better then me!
None of my retro PC's have updates, and have internet access.
Only have my ISP's default router firewall rules and AV on my laptop, PC and Server, Laptops been infected once in the last 3-4 years but that's it. But as someone else said which I didn't think about I don't have other family members internet habits to worry about. (mrs likes her computers fruity)

Reply 6 of 7, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

there are also some linux boot cds that AV vendors make for scanning outside of the OS. Useful if you just want to make sure those old systems are clean. Only requirement is that the system be able to boot from CD (might eliminate your oldest systems).

The one I've used that seems to work pretty well is BitDefender RescueCD:
download.bitdefender.com/rescue_cd/

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 7 of 7, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ESET NOD32 is a good lightweight AV that should support XP. It used to have support for 98SE. Kinda doubt it does anymore. I would guess it still supports 2000 though.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK