VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 17300 of 52757, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Picked up a Tandy 1000SX on Ebay for $39 before shipping.

It arrived today and it's real exciting for me, has a hard card, RTC, and a 286 accelerator card. Not only that, but the seller is an old Radio Shack guy who used it to run his business, so there might be something interesting on the drive (P.O.S. software for Radio Shack, inventory listings, etc. etc.)

V1eaYrHm.jpg

VsPVe4Sm.jpg

Reply 17301 of 52757, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keenerb wrote:

It arrived today and it's real exciting for me, has a hard card, RTC, and a 286 accelerator card. Not only that, but the seller is an old Radio Shack guy who used it to run his business, so there might be something interesting on the drive (P.O.S. software for Radio Shack, inventory listings, etc. etc.)

Hard cards are mental. I hope it works!

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 17302 of 52757, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

An update on the Shuttle ak37 motherboard - I tested the rail health with stock voltage and clock on the CPU:

P_20170606_181325.jpg
Filename
P_20170606_181325.jpg
File size
1.51 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

And then I underclocked and undervolted the CPU and got these results:

P_20170606_181739.jpg
Filename
P_20170606_181739.jpg
File size
1.34 MiB
Views
File license

So when underclocked, the 12V rail started looking better, while the 5V rail stayed the same. Unless someone has any different info on why this happened, I think I just got myself a socket A board that will easily work with modern, weak 5V/Strong 12V PSUs ! 😎

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 17303 of 52757, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got today two new Aztech Washington 16 cards (MMSN824) from a local seller for 20$, Never been used apparently.

Aztech1.jpg
Filename
Aztech1.jpg
File size
1.08 MiB
Views
File license
Aztech2.jpg
Filename
Aztech2.jpg
File size
978.11 KiB
Views
File license

Little birdie also told me that soon you can expect a bunch of those old stock sound cards to be listed on ebay, from some random scalper to rip you off for a pretty penny.

Last edited by The Serpent Rider on 2017-06-06, 19:50. Edited 1 time in total.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 17304 of 52757, by SaxxonPike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Got today two new Aztech Washington 16 cards (MMSN824) from a local seller for 20$, Never been used apparently.

Nice. I've just snagged one of these myself, awaiting arrival. I'm really hoping that it is the ultimate solution for my needs.

Sound device guides:
Sound Blaster
Aztech
OPL3-SA

Reply 17306 of 52757, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Munx wrote:

So when underclocked, the 12V rail started looking better, while the 5V rail stayed the same. Unless someone has any different info on why this happened, I think I just got myself a socket A board that will easily work with modern, weak 5V/Strong 12V PSUs ! 😎

Nice, must be the only KT400 board I've seen with a 12V connector.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 17307 of 52757, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

3Dlabs Wildcat II 5000 - 80MB memory total - traded with GL1zdA.

Attachments

• w5000.jpg
    Filename
    w5000.jpg
    File size
    140.75 KiB
    Views
    File license

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 17308 of 52757, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Munx wrote:

I tried to tell you before.. I think you missed it. But your power supply -IS- within the minimum for the ATX specification. Even 11.77v is completely normal and still complies with ATX specification. There's nothing what so ever wrong with it.

Reply 17309 of 52757, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kithylin wrote:
Munx wrote:

I tried to tell you before.. I think you missed it. But your power supply -IS- within the minimum for the ATX specification. Even 11.77v is completely normal and still complies with ATX specification. There's nothing what so ever wrong with it.

Not much wrong with the voltage but what interests me is why it is that low, I don't like dodgy or low rated power supplies having lost boards to oem units.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 17310 of 52757, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:
Munx wrote:

I'm not interested in the PSU. The reason I did this test was to see if the motherboard used the 5V or 12V rail to power the CPU.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 17311 of 52757, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Man, this is neat!

I love the case design. And I envy you this 286 accelerator - I've been looking for one for some time now to complement my IBM XT.

keenerb wrote:
Picked up a Tandy 1000SX on Ebay for $39 before shipping. […]
Show full quote

V1eaYrHm.jpg

VsPVe4Sm.jpg

Reply 17312 of 52757, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought this Intel Pentium 4 2.2 GHz SL6PL CPU on eBay for only $8.43 incl. tax & shipping.

IMG_1328.JPG
Filename
IMG_1328.JPG
File size
79.67 KiB
Views
File license

It came today so I've just installed this into my Compaq EVO D510 desktop to upgrade from a 2 GHz Celeron to make the specifications closer to my childhood computer, Below is a CPU-Z screenshot of both CPUs.

Evo D510 CPU Upgrade Info.png
Filename
Evo D510 CPU Upgrade Info.png
File size
43.11 KiB
Views
File license
Last edited by KCompRoom2000 on 2017-06-10, 22:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 17313 of 52757, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So a friend of mine gave me a $50 Apple Store gift card out of the blue, and I wasn't sure what I'd do with it.

I knew some neighbors who most certainly would find a use for it, though, so I just traded the code for a 2005 iBook G4. Original box and accessories, 1.42 GHz, 1 GB of RAM, 60 GB HDD, all in working order except for a dead main battery. Well, that and a random kernel panic when I was passing it along to show something, but I haven't really run through any gauntlet of diagnostic tests yet.

This thing should make a nice companion to my MDD G4, particularly if I have to fix stuff through Target Disk Mode.

They also dug up four Zip 100 disks to go with the built-in drive on the Power Mac 6500 they gave me before. With any luck, I might be able to fit a bootable System Folder on one of those, at least if the dreaded "Click of Death" doesn't bite me with any of these.

...well, turns out the 6500's internal SCSI Zip 100 drive is crap at reading reliably, but the disks themselves are fine, as verified from a USB Zip 100 drive (the later blue translucent bus-powered kind). Perhaps it can be cleaned or something? Oh well, not gonna lose too much sleep over it.

Reply 17314 of 52757, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
NamelessPlayer wrote:
So a friend of mine gave me a $50 Apple Store gift card out of the blue, and I wasn't sure what I'd do with it. […]
Show full quote

So a friend of mine gave me a $50 Apple Store gift card out of the blue, and I wasn't sure what I'd do with it.

I knew some neighbors who most certainly would find a use for it, though, so I just traded the code for a 2005 iBook G4. Original box and accessories, 1.42 GHz, 1 GB of RAM, 60 GB HDD, all in working order except for a dead main battery. Well, that and a random kernel panic when I was passing it along to show something, but I haven't really run through any gauntlet of diagnostic tests yet.

This thing should make a nice companion to my MDD G4, particularly if I have to fix stuff through Target Disk Mode.

They also dug up four Zip 100 disks to go with the built-in drive on the Power Mac 6500 they gave me before. With any luck, I might be able to fit a bootable System Folder on one of those, at least if the dreaded "Click of Death" doesn't bite me with any of these.

...well, turns out the 6500's internal SCSI Zip 100 drive is crap at reading reliably, but the disks themselves are fine, as verified from a USB Zip 100 drive (the later blue translucent bus-powered kind). Perhaps it can be cleaned or something? Oh well, not gonna lose too much sleep over it.

What a great use for an Apple gift card! Seriously.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 17315 of 52757, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Scored Abit BX133-RAID today. Very nice overclocking board from late 440BX era. Yes, only one ISA slot, but with SB-Link.

ABIT BX133-RAID.jpg
Filename
ABIT BX133-RAID.jpg
File size
1.71 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 17317 of 52757, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Arctic wrote:

It looks like there is a bulged capacitor

Not yet. Fortunately most of original capacitors were recapped already.

Reply 17318 of 52757, by mv_cz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Finally bought (sort of.. 😊 ) a 3dfx card on a local discussion board, the seller didn't want anything for it, only a bar of chocolate, so I bought him two large ones 😁 Got a Creative 3D Blaster Banshee PCI (CT6760) with original drivers CD and with it came also SB Live! CT4670 card (although I have a modern revision CT4830 with digital out, it will come in handy).

DSC02113.JPG
Filename
DSC02113.JPG
File size
917.51 KiB
Views
File license

I've only had a Voodoo1 card back then, friend of mine had similar creative banshee card, but it was an AGP version with SGRAM and paired with celeron333 it was quite capable system. Today also came new old stock AMD K6-III+ 400 MHz which I've ordered on ebay for 20 euros. So I have some hardware to complement my socket7 systems.

DSC02114.JPG
Filename
DSC02114.JPG
File size
334.27 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 17319 of 52757, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bought this today.....

It has all the cables, the powersupply, mouse, two "the arcade" joysticks, a full box of disks, original manuals and an extra external floppy drive. Really looking forward to play some games on it.

s-l640e.jpg
Filename
s-l640e.jpg
File size
53.19 KiB
Views
File license

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011