User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Diagnostic Details
Motherboard: Asus P4S533
Processor Type and Speed: Pentium 4 2.4Ghz
Amount and type of RAM: 1.5Gb 333Mhz SDRAM
Video Board: GeForce 5700MX with 128Mb
Sound Board: SoundBlaster Audigy 2 (PCI)
Operating System: Windows XP Professional SP2
Game Name: Might & Magic I

Description of Problem: DOSBox seems to be configured okay. I mount drive C: after the software loads using "mount c: c:\". The game is installed (via filecopy) into C:\MM1. I haven't made any changes to the default DOSBox configuration since it works for most everything I normally try.

Once I load the software my keyboard either stops working, or input is being ignored by Might & Magic I. The sound plays perfectly (one of the earliest games I've seen without [obvious] timing issues) and the introduction animation plays - but never proceeds past the title screen.

Despite the fact that the screen never moves past the "Secret of the Inner Sanctum" screen, the music continues to play properly. (Does Might & Magic I have the introductory sequences like MM2? I can't remember - it's been years since I've played.)

Reproducibility of problem: Always.
Sound Mode Used: SoundBlaster 16, IRQ 7, DMA 1, HDMA 5
Video Mode: Direct3D, I believe (?)
Version of Emulator: v0.62, v0.63

Steps Already Attempted to Solve the Problem:
* Read the README.
* Checked the DOSBox Guides area for a guide to this game. Found a few for MM2 but the suggested fixes didn't work (and honestly weren't applicable since the issues revolved around MM2 running _at all_.)
* Used Google to search for "might magic original running windows xp" and came up with a few hits, but nothing that solved this tiny glitch.
* Upgraded from DOSBox 0.62 to 0.63.
* Slowed DOSBox down to 1000 cycles, 750 cycles, 500 cycles, and finally 250 cycles.
* Tried treating the directory as a floppy drive using subst inside DOSBox.
* Tried using loadfix as instructed in the FAQ.
* Turned off EMS and XMS support.

Additional Information:
This game is listed as supported 100% by version 0.63 (one of the primary reasons I updated) and was tested by rebel. If anyone knows of anything in particular that needs to be done for this game, I'd appreciate it if you would let me know.

I apologize if I forgot a step somewhere. I'm fairly confident I read all the FAQs, all the stickies, I searched the Wiki, searched Google, etc. 😀

Thanks in advance for any information you can give me, and no matter the results or responses, thank you for DOSBox!

Reply 1 of 10, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow, that's the best first bug report/help request I've ever seen. I haven't tested this game myself, so others may have more specific ideas, but here's some stuff to try:

- Configure the game to run without sound
- Try different DOSBox cores (simple, normal, full, dynamic)
- Try an unofficial CVS build, which contains many new fixes and features since the last official release (0.63): http://cvscompile.aep-emu.de/dosbox.htm
- Try getting a hold of a different copy of the game in case the one you're testing is corrupted

Reply 2 of 10, by talonius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hm, okay, the title screen is supposed to have an animation to it, flipping between a red and a green screen.

I'm going to guess this is some sort of copy protection problem since the files came off the original disks and weren't cracked or modified to run on the hard drive. Searching for a crack now would be fruitless, but then again, so is searching for a 5.25" drive. 😀 (Years ago I imaged all my 3.5" and 5.25" disks using WinImage, and stored them on my fileserver. It's how I access all the old stuff without floppy drives. 😀)

I purchased the game from http://www.trygames.com for $9.95. *shrug* It's too bad none of the original developers will ever see a dime of that, but the entire series is there for download. The version I downloaded wants to slow my machine down to 55% it's maximum speed under DOS Box (0.4% outside of it, heh) but -- it runs!

Same with MM2. I have MM2 running but I can't place the original disk in the drive for it to verify so it won't save my friggin roster. Heh. However, the version from TryGames doesn't have that problem.

Thanks again. 😀

RE: Bug report - thanks to the folks who stickied the "include this information" 😀 I just followed instructions, hehe.

Reply 3 of 10, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You should be given a medal, as nobody follows the instructions around here. I know I'm not the only one who has formed a standard, teeth-pulling-like procedure for incrementally getting required information from people who come here asking for help.

Anyways, you might try tracking down a copy of one of those old programs like Neverlock that has cracks for dozens of old games.

Reply 4 of 10, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I had no problems at all with any M&M game - but it is possible I was using cracked versions (or the versions which came on CD MM 6 Gold - I am not sure now). I certainly have no floppies.

Mirek

Reply 5 of 10, by talonius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I obtained a copy of Neverlock Universal and removed the protection from the original copy of the game. After the copy protection is removed the game - the original game copied from the 5.25" disks - runs perfectly. So, for future reference, if you're trying to run Might & Magic I and the game seems to freeze on the red title screen - copy protection issue.

<g>

Thanks to everyone for their help. It's sad that these older games hold my attention far longer than the newer, glitzy stuff. I just finished replaying every Gold Box game by SSI. My wife had a great time making fun of me for that. 😀

Reply 6 of 10, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's only sad that they don't make new games that are as innovative and fun as the classics. Fortunately we have things like VOGONS and DOSBox as a refuge for those of us who are called "crazy" for still preferring our favorite old games.

Reply 8 of 10, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's because the industry is being taken over by large publishers who don't want to invest in innovative ideas because they're not sure if they'll sell. They'd rather make the "sure bet" and crank out another sports/dollhouse/hunting simulation, plotless first-person shooter, light third-person fantasy action/RPG, etc.

Reply 9 of 10, by fed1943

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes,it is sad,very sad indeed,but not a surprise.Think at the old chess:its rules,its goals (allow me to call that the idea)and the necessary materials.To build the materials,one needs thecnics about clay,wood,fire,coopper,tin,iron,and I don't know more,afterall You are the engeniers,not me.And to "catch" the idea one needs nothing,may be just a minute.So,it seems logical that ideas would come faster and plentier than thecnics.Well,I don't know if is logical,but I know,as you do,that is not the truth.In what good games concerns,seventy years of computer's knowledge are enough to match seven thousand years of civilization.
(I really hope I am wrong).
Best regards,

just younger than computers

Reply 10 of 10, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tried Might and Maguic on the CVS binary and had no problems getting past the intro screen and playing the game. I got my copy from the Might and Magic 6 Collector's Edition CD, which has copies of the first 5 Might and Magic games.

If you paid anything at all for Might and Magic I, you paid too much. That site, trygames is interesting because most of the games they sell are about 10 years ahead of Might and Magic I.

My copy of Might and Magic II, also from the MM6 Collector's CD, does not seem to exhibit the roster problem either.