VOGONS

First post, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm trying to get a 512MB Geforce 6200 AGP card working in a VIA Apollo based Pentium 3 Machine with Windows 98SE. I'm doing it to replace a faulty Geforce 4 MX-440.

The problem in all likelihood is the amount of RAM on the card. Right from the outset Windows 98SE reports a display problem (resource conflict). The drivers install fine, but the display error remains. It looks like it's conflicting with ACPI. There doesn't seem to be a BIOS option which can help. It's not an IRQ issue, it's a conflicting memory range.

Is there a solution to this problem, or should I just try and get hold of another card with less RAM?

The PC itself has 256MB of RAM installed.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

My Retro Gaming PC:
Pentium III 450MHz Katmai Slot 1
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA

Reply 1 of 13, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

512mb VRAM video card with Win 98 is a recipe for disaster.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 13, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote:

512mb VRAM video card with Win 98 is a recipe for disaster.

I am aware, but was hoping for a potential workaround?

My Retro Gaming PC:
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA

Reply 4 of 13, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Probably none with 256mb RAM installed.

Well I could easily reduce the amount of RAM in the machine if that would make a difference.

My Retro Gaming PC:
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA

Reply 6 of 13, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
agent_x007 wrote:

Try decreasing AGP Aperture Size (to 4-16MB range).

Thanks, but I've already tried that. No luck.

Interesting thing is, I've tried the card in an Intel 815 chipset board with Windows 98SE, and it works without any issues.

So I'm guessing this is an issue which relates to VIA chipset motherboards.

My Retro Gaming PC:
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA

Reply 7 of 13, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Totempole wrote:

It looks like it's conflicting with ACPI.

If that's the case, ACPI can be disabled with a little registry edit. There should be a thread around here with details.

I would disagree about the amount of RAM on the card being inherently problematic.

There have been reports that using HIMEMX may be of use in achieving stability with NVidia cards, even if it's not being used to limit RAM. It's easy enough to try, anyway.

Reply 8 of 13, by Voset

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There is a patch for 512mb Nvidia Cards under Windows 9x being sold at http://rloew.x10host.com/catalog2.htm. There is also a demo for the patch to try for free to see if it helps with your problem.

Reply 9 of 13, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had all sorts of problems with my 6800 Ultra AGP in a P4 with 4GB ram and trying the various free tweaks on the net.
Obviously 4GB Ram is the main issue so ended up getting rloew's RAM (not vram) patch, this also fixed blue screens after installing NVidia drivers as well.

Just mentioning it if you run out of other things to try, your system is obviously very different to mine

Reply 10 of 13, by asdf53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Voset wrote on 2017-06-09, 09:42:

There is a patch for 512mb Nvidia Cards under Windows 9x being sold at http://rloew.x10host.com/catalog2.htm. There is also a demo for the patch to try for free to see if it helps with your problem.

This patch was made available for free, here's a link to it on Phil's site: https://www.philscomputerlab.com/rudolph-r-loew-patches.html (PTCHNVSZ.zip in the archive)

It worked great for me. I was trying a 7600 GT 512MB with the modded drivers 82.69 for Windows 98, but I got garbled graphics at the boot screen and then it stopped with a blinking cursor. Also the mouse cursor would freeze. Both of these issues are addressed with the patch. First the "driver patch" (patch nvcore.vxd in Windows/system), then install the FIXINTR patch to fix the mouse cursor. After installing the patch, I could only set a maximum resolution of 1024x768, but after a second reboot, the other resolutions became available as well.

Reply 12 of 13, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Idk what processor OP has, but 6200 doesn’t work very well on 586 so that’s another thing.

Anyway, As posted above. There is now a patch for the memory thing.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 13 of 13, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh, a necro.
With cards up to 128 MB there is no problem,
but with 256 MB a friend of mine (mkarcher) fixed ACPI by writing a little DOS program for that particular system.
So it is likey that turning off ACPI will help.