User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
brassicGamer wrote:
brostenen wrote:

Bought this today.....

Sweeeeeeeet!

True... I was stupid to sell my two 1200's and one 600, back in 2005.
Now I can finally show my children those old Amiga games. 😀

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 17322 of 52822, by DaveJustDave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Picked up this 5150 today. cracked it open and found what appeared to be
-256k on board
- quadram expansion board with 512k on it
- some sort of hard card type device.. can anyone identify it? (at least its IDE!)

vDS9Yxnl.jpg

ItfFbiul.jpg

a8Q1XJil.jpg

gave some bad memory errors (booted with code 2055 201) and found some mangled chips that looked like someone tried inserting them with a monkey.

even though i depopulated banks 2/3 and toggled the dip switches to only look in banks 0 /1 ..

I have no clue what I'm doing! If you want to watch me fumble through all my retro projects, you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDavejustdave

Reply 17323 of 52822, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's not retro yet, but got another thrift store find. Another €10 and another (modern-ish) motherboard, case, CPU and RAM. And SATA optical drive.
CPU turned out to be a 5400+ AM2 65W and the RAM was generic 2x1GB DDR2-800 from kingston (the very low profile stuff that is kinda almost invisible once it's socketed). No harddrive. The PSU was some HKC but it had like 36 amps on the 5v line. Might be worth opening up, even though I don't like that brand.
Board is an ASUS AM2 with support up to AM3 CPUs and 125W CPUs. If only this board supported DDR3, it would've been pretty much awesome! 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 17324 of 52822, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DaveJustDave wrote:

- some sort of hard card type device.. can anyone identify it? (at least its IDE!)

It's not IDE, but XTA. People tend to call it 8-bit IDE, but it's not compatible with ATA, so you can not attach an ATA drive to the controller.

Reply 17325 of 52822, by DaveJustDave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wow I never knew those existed!! Do you know what model this one is?

derSammler wrote:
DaveJustDave wrote:

It's not IDE, but XTA. People tend to call it 8-bit IDE, but it's not compatible with ATA, so you can not attach an ATA drive to the controller.

I have no clue what I'm doing! If you want to watch me fumble through all my retro projects, you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDavejustdave

Reply 17328 of 52822, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brostenen wrote:

Bought this today.....

It has all the cables, the powersupply, mouse, two "the arcade" joysticks, a full box of disks, original manuals and an extra external floppy drive. Really looking forward to play some games on it.

s-l640e.jpg

I've found one last week-end ! However mine has no yellowing at all, not even the keyboard (though it's missing 2 keys). It didn't boot at first, but I figured out on the internet that apparently one of the cap go bad and locks up the computer. I removed it and now it boots (though I will change all of them obviously. There are signs of leaking but no damage at the moment. But I will not wait for some to arrive, I already bought a cap kit and I'm now waiting to receive them to change all of the capacitors)

I never owned an Amiga (I wasn't even born during it's life), but I always wanted to ^^. Too bad I don't have floppy disks for it, this means I can't use it at the moment 🙁 (however I think I'll be able to once I'll receive an IDE cable. I'll just need to write an image with workbench on an hdd and I hope it will boot to it so I will be able to start transfering files through serial port

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 17329 of 52822, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Picked up a 478 Dell XPS motherboard for free from a friend. Came with a 3.2 Prescott. Just have to figure out the Dell front panel pinout.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 17330 of 52822, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ODwilly wrote:

Picked up a 478 Dell XPS motherboard for free from a friend. Came with a 3.2 Prescott. Just have to figure out the Dell front panel pinout.

I'm assuming it's part U2424 from the XPS gen2. You might want to check the caps by the CPU socket.

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 17331 of 52822, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
oeuvre wrote:
NamelessPlayer wrote:
So a friend of mine gave me a $50 Apple Store gift card out of the blue, and I wasn't sure what I'd do with it. […]
Show full quote

So a friend of mine gave me a $50 Apple Store gift card out of the blue, and I wasn't sure what I'd do with it.

I knew some neighbors who most certainly would find a use for it, though, so I just traded the code for a 2005 iBook G4. Original box and accessories, 1.42 GHz, 1 GB of RAM, 60 GB HDD, all in working order except for a dead main battery. Well, that and a random kernel panic when I was passing it along to show something, but I haven't really run through any gauntlet of diagnostic tests yet.

This thing should make a nice companion to my MDD G4, particularly if I have to fix stuff through Target Disk Mode.

They also dug up four Zip 100 disks to go with the built-in drive on the Power Mac 6500 they gave me before. With any luck, I might be able to fit a bootable System Folder on one of those, at least if the dreaded "Click of Death" doesn't bite me with any of these.

...well, turns out the 6500's internal SCSI Zip 100 drive is crap at reading reliably, but the disks themselves are fine, as verified from a USB Zip 100 drive (the later blue translucent bus-powered kind). Perhaps it can be cleaned or something? Oh well, not gonna lose too much sleep over it.

What a great use for an Apple gift card! Seriously.

Hey, at least this stuff's more interesting than their current product lineup!

Said neighbors also still have a Macintosh IIcx and several accessories (Extended Keyboard II, assorted external SCSI drives, Color StyleWriter printer, Connectix webcam, stuff like that), an iMac G3 350 indigo, possibly another 1.42 GHz iBook G4, and if they can dig it out again, a plastic white C2D MacBook with some charging and overheating issues (I'm suspecting partial logic board component failure) on top of the MacBook Air that's in active use... not to mention more vintage Mac software in big boxes and all than I have room for. It's practically a vintage Apple museum in there!

Also, I figured out what caused the one kernel panic earlier; turns out that holding this iBook one-handed around the left palm rest/HDD area and pinching it too hard causes it to panic pretty much every time. Gotta lay off the pressure points before I accidentally give this thing the Kenshiro treatment!

Reply 17332 of 52822, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xplus93 wrote:
ODwilly wrote:

I'm assuming it's part U2424 from the XPS gen2. You might want to check the caps by the CPU socket.

Correct! And they are in good shape. Looks like a solid Mobo, to bad he scrapped the front panel connections with the case. At least it still has the io shield.

Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 17333 of 52822, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ODwilly wrote:
xplus93 wrote:
ODwilly wrote:

Correct! And they are in good shape. Looks like a solid Mobo, to bad he scrapped the front panel connections with the case. At least it still has the io shield.

Also, don't use the heatsink that comes on the board. The one that looks kinda like the shape of an engine block. It only works with the original duct and two GIANT fans that come with the machine. I nearly killed the P4 EE that came with mine.

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 17334 of 52822, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xplus93 wrote:

Also, don't use the heatsink that comes on the board. The one that looks kinda like the shape of an engine block. It only works with the original duct and two GIANT fans that come with the machine. I nearly killed the P4 EE that came with mine.

Makes sense, thanks for the heads up! I may reuse it, have another old Dell case with a similar factory ducting setup but a single fan to use with it. I know the low RPM fan that came with it wouldnt be enough but the 6k rpm screaming Delta out of an old server should do nicely 😊 plus some fresh paste of course.

Reply 17335 of 52822, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mv_cz wrote:
Finally bought (sort of.. :blush: ) a 3dfx card on a local discussion board, the seller didn't want anything for it, only a bar […]
Show full quote

Finally bought (sort of.. 😊 ) a 3dfx card on a local discussion board, the seller didn't want anything for it, only a bar of chocolate, so I bought him two large ones 😁 Got a Creative 3D Blaster Banshee PCI (CT6760) with original drivers CD and with it came also SB Live! CT4670 card (although I have a modern revision CT4830 with digital out, it will come in handy).

DSC02113.JPG

I've only had a Voodoo1 card back then, friend of mine had similar creative banshee card, but it was an AGP version with SGRAM and paired with celeron333 it was quite capable system. Today also came new old stock AMD K6-III+ 400 MHz which I've ordered on ebay for 20 euros. So I have some hardware to complement my socket7 systems.

DSC02114.JPG

Nice. So you've just completed your entire system in a single buy, have you? Banshee is a quite capable card; in single-textured games it's faster than a Voodoo2. The 2D image quality doesn't disappoint either.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 17336 of 52822, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Went to a thrift store. They had a bunch of joysticks for flight games but I didn't buy any. Instead I got these two keyboards and a $2 PS/2 2 button mouse.

Microsoft Natural Keyboard Elite in excellent condition. Works great.

The 2nd one is an IBUYPOWER mechanical (!!!) keyboard. This one https://www.ibuypower.com/IBPStore/Accessorie … ed-Backlit-keys

I don't like it though. I'll probably flip it online and keep the MS one

Attachments

• 20170609_125559.jpg
    Filename
    20170609_125559.jpg
    File size
    786.74 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 20170609_125543.jpg
    Filename
    20170609_125543.jpg
    File size
    487.75 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20170609_125637.jpg
    Filename
    20170609_125637.jpg
    File size
    740.12 KiB
    Views
    File license

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 17337 of 52822, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have a Yamaha SW1000XG on the way.

Nobody needs to point out that it is not meant for gaming although it is possible by sending the midi out from another card to the midi in on the SW1000XG. I will be using it for that and hopefully for some actual music in the not too distant future.

I've also gotten a lot of other goodies for my project(s) lately, but I try only to list some of the highlights.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 17338 of 52822, by andrewreader

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
brostenen wrote:

Bought this today.....

It has all the cables, the powersupply, mouse, two "the arcade" joysticks, a full box of disks, original manuals and an extra external floppy drive. Really looking forward to play some games on it.

s-l640e.jpg

Well done sir.

My Amiga 1200 is alive and well. Here in Swindon, UK is the 'South West' Amiga Meet which I'm attending tomorrow.

My A1200 has a 4GB CF Upgarde, a gotek floppy adapter and the ACA 1221 upgrade with 'round the world' unlock.

Reply 17339 of 52822, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
andrewreader wrote:
Well done sir. […]
Show full quote
brostenen wrote:

Bought this today.....

s-l640e.jpg

Well done sir.

My Amiga 1200 is alive and well. Here in Swindon, UK is the 'South West' Amiga Meet which I'm attending tomorrow.

My A1200 has a 4GB CF Upgarde, a gotek floppy adapter and the ACA 1221 upgrade with 'round the world' unlock.

Thanks.
I would have loved to get an 1200, though the price on them are something that makes them unobtainable.
I can get one here in Denmark for a price between 420 and 510 US Dollars. The cheapest being extremely yellow.
That is more than twice the price of an 600 these days. So I kind of envy you for having an 1200.
The 600 was not cheap at all. I did pay a high price for it, though it is the best I can do at the moment.
So... I am forced to put stuff up for sale now. In order to raise money now. 🙁

BTW... What would an old IBM Thinkpad with a Pentium133 be worth these days? (model: 365x - 2625)

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011