VOGONS

DScaler 4.2.3a

Topic actions

First post, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know if some of you use DScaler for viewing or even recording from old computers or PCs.
I was a bit annoyed that the support for progressive sources was somewhat broken, especially in the latest 4.2.3 alpha release. It took me a few hours to work through the code and fix some issues. I am not in contact with the original programmer(s), so it is not official in any way.

Download link:
Patched version: http://retronn.de/ftp/dscaler_fixed/DScaler423a.7z
Since it is work in progress the archive does not contain a full install package, you have to install the regular 4.2.3 version first, especially if you require the native hardware drivers for e.g. BT878 working.
Old 4.2.3 alpha package: http://retronn.de/ftp/dscaler_fixed/DScaler423.exe

Note: For direct hardware support of BT878 based capture cards in Windows 10 x64 the OS must boot in legacy mode (not UEFI). UEFI boot seems to cause issues that leave the cards in a 'bad state' after boot.

Issues fixed / Changes:
- DirectShow Sources that do not give information if they are interlaced or not are treated as progressive sources now. (was interlaced before).
- Sources with a colorspace different than YUV (like RGB) had a problem that the image was flipping vertically after each second frame, was funny for a brief moment, but it's fixed now
- Progressive DirectShow Sources were treated as interlaced sources internally at various locations, that crashed the program. Also fixed.
- DirectShow Sources that do not give information if they are interlaced or not can now set manually to Frame or Field mode (go to to DShow/Filter Properties/Open the branch of DScaler video renderer/Input/Force Field/Frame Input). When changing to Field mode the Deinterlace mode will also switch from Progressive to the last set Deinterlace mode.
- Source resolution was limited to 1024x768, it is 3840x2160 now (4K).
- The current source resolution is now shown in the Status Bar
- The current output fps rate is shown in the status bar. The output waits for vsync, so if your screen runs at 60 Hz and your source at 70 Hz you will still get only 60 fps.
- Found the reason why the image quality when the D3D9 surface is used on modern systems was blurry. I fixed it and it's now crisp again.
-Resolution of DirectShow Sources can now be changed if they support it. If the source has no interlace information it is defaulting to progressive.

Todo:
-OSD is now readable again but has sometimes the issue that the Texture over the D3D Surface is not exactly aligned to the whole Window.
-When using a DirectShow Webcam with very high resolution which result in very low fps, the program currently thinks it has lost the video mode.
-A full RGB color space swapping chain when using progressive DirectShow Sources that are RGB24 capable.

I tested in Win10 x64 with the Epiphan VGA2PCIe, Webcam and a BT878 based capture card (Hauppauge WinTV). Last one is interlaced by default.

User solution reports:
In Win10 with modern audio codes audio-inputs are only enabled if there is actually something connected to the jack. If nothing is connected the Wave-In selection in the capture dialog stays empty and the DScaler quite when OK is clicked in the capture dialog. Simple workaround: Plug your audio input first, such that the device appears in the capture dialog.
(Seen with Cx2388x cards)

Maybe it is useful for someone.

Last edited by elianda on 2021-09-15, 10:25. Edited 9 times in total.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 1 of 41, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I did use Dscaler before for capturing years ago but stopped because it had bad sound capturing issues. I couldn't get my line-in to work properly. I ended up using VirtualDub for capturing PCs via Svideo.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 41, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oerg pointed me to a thread in the DScaler forums where a 4.2.3 alpha was released. I wasn't aware of that, so I should probably merge or change the versioning.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel

Reply 3 of 41, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Update with more fixes.

Youtube Channel

Reply 4 of 41, by redfox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I am the author of the Dscaler 4.2.3 modifications (also not connected to the original Dev team).
In comparison to 4.2.2, I added some sound fixes for BTx cards and usability changes, like monitor awakening from sleep etc., see http://foxtools.tk/dscnews.htm. No video quality related fixes have been made.

I am glad that you fixed the features mentioned in the first post. If you have time, please make a complete release package, which can be installed, plus the source files, including new changelog and help file. I think that a new release number (4.2.4) would be suitable.

Reply 5 of 41, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello Redfox,

great to hear some developer is still active after all these years of silence.

I can have a look into the driver build (though they should be identical as I haven't changed anything there). Also the installer packaging has to be done...
One thing I noticed recently is that the native BT878 driver fails when e.g. Win10 x64 boots from UEFI. However I'am not sure if there exists an easy fix for the native driver that makes it work with UEFI.

Also be aware that the change in the backend to support 4K might slow the application down on low end systems. Some dynamic allocation that is updated with the source/output resolution is probably a better solution (whichever is larger).

Best regards.

Youtube Channel

Reply 6 of 41, by redfox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Maybe, it would be good to add a "4K switch" into the (GUI) menu, where the CPU and Dsc priority is set, to be able to switch between the old and current code version.

Reply 7 of 41, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elianda wrote:

Note: For direct hardware support of BT878 based capture cards in Windows 10 x64 the OS must boot in legacy mode (not UEFI). UEFI boot seems to cause issues that leave the cards in a 'bad state' after boot.

Where to find some universal BT848/878 Windows 7/10 64bit driver? Because i just have some unknown multimedia adapter present in Device manager and last drivers from vendors are for XP.. I found some universal driver on sourceforge, but it doesnt not seems to work, my Genius card is not listed and wasnt lucky with custom profile.

I tried patched Dscaler, i have some Dshow error right after boot i dunno if related to not working turner, or its some general DirectShow error and i need install some DshowPackage.

Error.png
Filename
Error.png
File size
41.98 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 8 of 41, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As written in the first post, first install the regular 4.2.3 and then copy the 4.2.3a over. The patched version is no installer version, the driver did not change from 4.2.3 to 4.2.3a.
If you still get some message about e.g. 'overlay not supported' switch to Direct3D surface (which should be default anyway on modern Win). Backspace removes the message.

Youtube Channel

Reply 9 of 41, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok thanks, i was in hurry.. and got confused, maybe it would be use different wording.. not patched version xx.xx but patch for version xx.xx.

Otherwise i got it working with Windows 7 x64, Dscaler now recognized my card as Genius Wonter III and Philips PAl codec, recording is working. For driver i used SDI driver downloader and card what there recognized as LifeView FlyTV Prime 34FM and driver was succesfully installed and device looked as working, but because i had Dscaler problem (incomplete install), i installed Philips SAA7134, Hybrid Capture Device driver from SDI tool its from 12.8.2009 - Driver version 1.4.0.3.. its working, i dunno it would work with Lifeview FlyTV driver too..

What is interesting that in WinXP have 2 tv/capture card devices in the Device manager and with Win7 i have only 1 and no any unknow device i tried to redetect new device and nothing.. Im using for recording sound card, card has some line in jack, but in Scaler Audio settings is only TV tuner audion, which i guess is ignored with S-Video, Composite recording.. and classical Line 1 a Line 2 - which i guess are for onboard soundcard, so no TV tuner audio in.. Its big deal? There is no audio header on capture card, so i guess that sound should be handled by software on through pci bus or through tv/capture card audio out / sound card audio in jack male to male cable.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 10 of 41, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Moved here:
Dscaler recording settings recommendation..

Last edited by ruthan on 2018-11-17, 13:52. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 11 of 41, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ruthan wrote:

Are somewhere some recommendation for S-Video Dos Recording? Dscaler has lots of setting.
- in recording option is Height default is 1/2 - 720x288 is dunno why, there is YUY2 / RGB setting.

If your capture computer is slower than an Athlon XP 2400+ you may consider to capture in half resolution. If it is faster it should be able to do full.
The colorspace selection depends on your capture cards capabilities. For analog video usually YUY2 is sufficient, specifically for BT878 as it provides data in that colorspace. (Reduction of conversion)

- there are lots he Deinterlace settings

Yes and each has its use. Note that the deinterlacer is only applying on the viewed image, captured content is always the raw input stream.

- lots of Filters - i dunno if this good or bad way to handle with gamma / brightness

It always depends what the filter algorithm actually does and what you want to accomplish. I use sometimes temporal noise filter, however it is a averaging box filter over two frames. This could lead to other artefacts.

- Setting video adjustment there is Brightness and Gamma too

Here it is important to be aware at which point in the chain it is applied.

- there is video format settings - with PAL / NTFS things i dunno if it has any effect for Dos recording

This should be simply the same format as set on the output of your source.

- there is Pixel Width settits - make sense to set it exactly to game resolution or its better keep it on 720x576? BTW is there some good way how which resolution is game actually using? Im not sure about lots of games if they are using 320x200 or 320x240. How all of this coexist with games which are using multiple resolutions for different parts of game?

Typically the TV output is always either PAL or NTSC and the source resolution is scaled. So 720x576@25 (PAL) or 640x480@30 (NTSC).

Youtube Channel

Reply 12 of 41, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Update: I will move this message later too.

Thanks very much, i will try later to port with info to our online sheet.

Some clarifications:

Deinterlacer:

Yes and each has its use. Note that the deinterlacer is only applying on the viewed image, captured content is always the raw input stream.

Ok and lets say im i have classic DOS s-video 320x200,320x200,x640x480 input, not some old console stuff etc.., what settings is the best?

Filters:

It always depends what the filter algorithm actually does and what you want to accomplish. I use sometimes temporal noise filter, however it is a averaging box filter over two frames. This could lead to other artefacts.

Its again only Dscaler visual thing, it make change for recorded video too? I guess that is better to handle effect with some special tools, later afer recording.. But fix brightness and gamma would be handy at realtime..

Setting video adjustment there is Brightness and Gamma

Here it is important to be aware at which point in the chain it is applied.

You describe it in more detail?

Recording format:

This should be simply the same format as set on the output of your source.

Im sure, if i have videocard with S-Video /Composite output, are there PAl and NTFS, Secam variants too and how to check what format card actually is?

Pixel Width settings.

Typically the TV output is always either PAL or NTSC and the source resolution is scaled. So 720x576@25 (PAL) or 640x480@30 (NTSC).

I care about s-video and composite input not about TV output.. If i dont have to care do special Dscaler setting for recording for soruce res. 320x200,320x240 or 640x480 and quality would for the same, good less hassle better.

Sound:
Other recording thing is a bit annoying, when i use line in as sound input on recording machine, i have duplicity of sounds sources - one form original machine - speakers and second on recording machine. When i turn line in off in Windows mixer recording is mute, its possible to handle it otherwise than turn off speakers on recording machine.. I dont want turn off speakers on source machine and play in windows on recording machine.. and because of machines / speakers orientation, sound from speakers of recording machine is not full substitution.

Reply 13 of 41, by redfox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@elianda: I just tried your 4.2.3a version. The quality of the D3D video playback is very good. In addition, it keeps Aero switched ON in Windows 7. No errors so far.

Since I had to change my hardware to a motherboard that does not have PCI slots, I ordered a PCIE to PCI (Asmedia 1083) adapter from eBay , see https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_tr … +bridge+asm1083.

Surprisingly, it works perfectly with my old ATI TV Wonder PCI card and Dscaler. So, it is possible to use Dscaler and old cards with modern HW. The only problem could arise in the near future (2020?), if legasy mode in motherboad bioses would be discontinued, as announced.

Last edited by redfox on 2019-07-27, 20:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 41, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for the feedback.

Youtube Channel

Reply 16 of 41, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you use a DirectShow device then go to DShow Menu, Filter Properties, choose your Hardware Input device and as sub branches available property windows of your directshow device appear. Usually there is also a source resolution option in that dialogs.

Youtube Channel

Reply 18 of 41, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If your capture card uses DirectShow then when selecting it as Source in the Sources Menu right next to it the menu DShow is added:
file.php?mode=view&id=66561&sid=202c455131cda4efaba9f7da9f786d95

In the DShow menu the last entry is "Filter Properties". When selecting this window appears where your capture device is listed and its own setting dialog that usually allows to set the source resolution. Here as example for a Epiphan VGA2PCIe:
file.php?mode=view&id=66559&sid=202c455131cda4efaba9f7da9f786d95

I looked up the manual for your ATI Theater 550 Pro at https://drivers.amd.com/manuals/tv_wonder_550.pdf and on page 7 "Software Installation" it lists

Other 3rd party DirectShow TV applications

DScaler supports DirectShow, so the ATI Theater 550 Pro is supported.

Attachments

• dscaler2.png
    Filename
    dscaler2.png
    File size
    54.1 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • dscaler.png
    Filename
    dscaler.png
    File size
    97.3 KiB
    Views
    File license

Youtube Channel

Reply 19 of 41, by redfox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

elianda, please, post a link to the source files of the Dscaler 4.2.3a here.

I need to do more modifications, since DSC does not recognize current hardware audio mixer lines.
As a result, it is unable to disable the line-in playback automatically, when composite video signal is lost or when DSC quits. It is very important to be fixed, because if the line-in remains enabled all the time, many interferences come out fron he speakers, when moving a mouse or when HDD is in action.

Thanks in advance for the URL!

P.S. I still use Visual Studio 2005, so if you used a later version and added new source files, maybe the new files may be missing in the file DScaler2005.sln .. I hope not, but .. will see.