VOGONS

440LX and 100MHz FSB

Topic actions

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I bought a Slot 1 mainboard thinking it was a BX but it turned out to be an LX.. How possible is it to run a 100MHz FSB PII CPU (say, a 350) on a 440LX motherboard stable at 100MHz? Do they even have this as an option?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 22, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can go with the top 66 MHz CPUs. I believe the Celeron 433, the Pentium II 333 or with a Slotket the Celeron 533.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 22, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, you are stuck on 66 Mhz FSB. But you should still be able to run 100 Mhz FSB CPUs at 66 Mhz, albeit at slower speeds. Your best options are what Phil suggests above.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 4 of 22, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can't faster celerons be run in these motherboards ? I think the fastest Celeron chip with 66MHz FSB is the Celeron coppermine 766. I've myself a Celeron 733MHz and I'm pretty sure that it could run without any problems in an LX board (maybe it will need some bios Update, maybe even some patching, but I don't see why it wouldn't work)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 5 of 22, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

440LX is capable for 83 Mhz with an overclock so I would suggest checking the Bios for OC options.

I doubt any LX boards can do 100, though.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 6 of 22, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would use a high multiplier celeron and overclock the fsb, performance wise it should be very comfortable for most games of the period and later.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 7 of 22, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That board could be used for a gaming on a budget back in the 90's. How well will it perform! video, Something like that.

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 8 of 22, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Would be one option:

"Grab a Socket-370 to Slot-1 adapter, a Celeron 533, and crank your board up to the 75MHz FSB and you should be good to go."

http://www.anandtech.com/show/449/9

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66

Reply 9 of 22, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had a 440LX board in the day, and while it ran at 75MHz FSB fine, going up to 83MHz would cause HDD corruption, presumably because the PCI bus was running too far out of spec. YMMV.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 11 of 22, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Probably the PCI bus is running way out of spec and so the southbridge is oced as well. Can't you change dividers ?

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 13 of 22, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheMLGladiator wrote:
SSTV2 wrote:

GA-686LX3 supports 100 MHz FSB.

It does, but the system crashes when trying to do anything (like install win98).

And as far as I can see, it is the "EX" chipset ..

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 15 of 22, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rmay635703 wrote:
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

You can go with the top 66 MHz CPUs. I believe the Celeron 433, the Pentium II 333 or with a Slotket the Celeron 533.

I have a celery 766

It's a coppermine Celeron though; does your LX board have the required VRM to go low enough on voltage for that?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 17 of 22, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheMLGladiator wrote:
H3nrik V! wrote:

And as far as I can see, it is the "EX" chipset ..

What makes you say that? I'm finding that the 686LX3 is an LX board.

Specifications on Gigabyte's website: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-686LX3#sp

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 19 of 22, by TheMLGladiator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, the website spec sheet is completely wrong. Just looking a the manual(s) can show that all revisions use the the LX chipset. It does also help that I have the board in front of me 🤣