VOGONS

First post, by peklop

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

wikipedia article about Adlib Gold emulation:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ensoniq_AudioPCI

The AudioPCI DOS driver included Ensoniq Soundscape 16-bit digital audio and sample-based synthesis support, along with support for Sound Blaster Pro, AdLib Gold, General MIDI, and MT-32. However, without actual hardware for FM synthesis, FM music and sound effects were simulated using samples, often with unacceptable results.

Can Ensoniq AudioPCI emulate Adlib Gold? is it right or wrong?

if yes, what chip (ES1370 or ES1371) and what driver is used?

thanks

Reply 1 of 6, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Even if it does work, it is most likely going to sound like poo compared to a real Adlib Gold because, as the article says, there is no real FM hardware on those cards.

Since it is talking about the Ensoniq branded card, I would guess it would be ES1370, although I would also guess that the 1371 would probably work as well.

I take it you don't have either of those cards. I should have both and can check and post back here probably this evening.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 6, by peklop

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

FM compatibility is not so interesting because Adlib Gold use same OPL3 as comon SBPro2/SB/16/clones.

Interesting is only if some card can emulate 12bit(?) wave sound output.
i think it was no reason for emulate Adlib Gold by AudioPCI. AudioPCI was released 1996/97, almost five years after AdLib bancrupt. There wasn't any reason for emulate dead and unused standard.
Is logical if card emulate Sound Blaster standard. And ISA SoundScape because card was designed by Ensoniq.

Reply 3 of 6, by peklop

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Found old website at archive.org
Soundscape, Adlib, SBPro2 emulation yes, no info about Adlib Gold
Wikpedia is wrong again.

https://web.archive.org/web/19980118113308/ht … :80/a_specs.htm

Supported Standards

The AudioPCI hardware is 100% DOS legacy game compatible supporting the following standards:

ENSONIQ Soundscape
Microsoft Direct Audio (DirectX)
AdLib Sound Blaster Pro (2.0)
General MIDI
MT-32
FM (software emulation)
MPC 1,2,3
Drivers

DOS
Windows 3.1x
Windows 95
Windows NT 4.0
Multi-language Installation "Wizard" for easy setup.

Reply 4 of 6, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
peklop wrote:
Supported Standards […]
Show full quote

Supported Standards

The AudioPCI hardware is 100% DOS legacy game compatible supporting the following standards:
MT-32

Yeah, I don't think so.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 5 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not 100% sure, but I once heard the SoundScape was MT-32 "compatible" in the means of having a fake intelligent MPU-401.
It had to do whith ACK sequences beeing reported back to the games by the card or so. Sorry, can't remember the details. 😅

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 6, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

"Compatible" was used often by the Marketing folks. A ton of cards claimed to be MT-32 compatible, sometimes it means that a default MT-32 map can be loaded, so games such as Monkey Island sound nice, others see it as "well sound plays, so that's good enough".

The Ensoniq guys did indeed add some intelligent mode features to their cards, enough to make games such as Wing Commander work. Works with the AudioPCI too. Again, "sound will play", but wrong instruments of course. Still, it's more than most other cards can do 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website