VOGONS

Voodoo2 in a pure MS-DOS PC

Topic actions

First post, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I recently got 2x Voodoo2 which I plan on putting in my pure MS-DOS PC. I've only got a few DOS games that will work with it, but that's okay:
Descent 2
Quake
Screamer 2
Blood
EF2000
Shadow Warrior

I've been googling on how to set things up in DOS config and the PATH variables, but so far all I'm finding is Win9x stuff and a driver installer that I'm not sure will run under pure DOS. Is there setup instructions somewhere for pure DOS?

I guess the next step will be to find special game executables or 3dfx drivers specific to each game config. Looks like Phil has some on his site. I also found an old thread here with links, but the links are expired. 😒

Thanks!

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 1 of 21, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Under pure DOS you don't need any drivers, the supporting games have the drivers embedded. There is a list of the DOS environment variables here: http://www.mdgx.com/3dfx.htm

Have a look here for a DOS glide game list + patches: Voodoo 2 DOS Glide compatibility matrix
and check the "Getting the best compatibility" section here: http://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/3dfx

I don't think there is anything more to it 😎

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 21, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:
Under pure DOS you don't need any drivers, the supporting games have the drivers embedded. There is a list of the DOS environmen […]
Show full quote

Under pure DOS you don't need any drivers, the supporting games have the drivers embedded. There is a list of the DOS environment variables here: http://www.mdgx.com/3dfx.htm

Have a look here for a DOS glide game list + patches: Voodoo 2 DOS Glide compatibility matrix
and check the "Getting the best compatibility" section here: http://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/3dfx

I don't think there is anything more to it 😎

Awesome, that looks pretty simple. 😉 Thanks, keropi!

Reply 3 of 21, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks like the links to the game patches are dead in vetz' DOS Glide Compatibiliy Matrix thread. Any other sources for these patches?

Reply 4 of 21, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have almost all of them (except Fatal Racing, UEFA Champions League and VR Soccer '96 - they are homemade IIRC).
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:65D4125DF4EB7BF456B0FC7E465FF1291308AA8C
The torrent traffic encryption must be on.

And yes, Dropbox sucks. The cloud store idea is defective by desing...

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 5 of 21, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks like GLQuake only works in Win9x MS-DOS mode, not pure DOS 6.22? Can someone confirm?

Reply 7 of 21, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are 2 DOS games with win32 only glide patches. Descent (d1_3dfx) and Quake (glquake).

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 8 of 21, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So far I've only gotten Screamer 2 working in DOS glide. 🤣. I'm not sure how excited I am about these 2x Voodoo2s now. Maybe time to find a buyer, as I don't really use Win9x except for occasional benchmarking.

Reply 9 of 21, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

V2 SLI for DOS 😊

I'm trying to remember how it was back in day. I do remember playing DOS Tomb Raider on a Voodoo 1 on a Pentium 133 and that was awesome. But I also remember playing a lot of 3D games under Windows 95 or 98 on that same machine. Wing Commander Prophecy, Shadows of the Empire, G-Police and many others.

So yea, I think Voodoo gaming for DOS is a very specific thing.

If you like Screamer 2 and Screamer Rally, IMO it looks great in software mode, 640x480 in 16 bit, but you need a fast processor and a good graphics card for DOS.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 10 of 21, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

V2 SLI for DOS 😊

Yeah, Voodoo1 would definitely be a better fit.

Let me rephrase 😀 I have 2x V2 that are SLI-capable. They won't work in my SS7 system (along with almost all other PCI graphics cards). That leaves only my Triton-based Pentium system, which only has one PCI slot. I did try a single V2 and it worked, but I'm forced to use hamstrung onboard Cirrus Logic for 2D. Not worth it for only a couple of games that I rarely play anyway. They would actually be a very period-correct fit in my P2-400, but yeah, I don't ever use that system except when benchmarking.

Reply 16 of 21, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
anthony wrote:

Last Sunday pair of q3d sb50 suitable for sli connecting goes on ebay for a reasonable price (about $200)

Yes, but these were defective prototypes with bunch of wires sticking out... 🤣 Great collectible item for sure, but actually gaming on it - not likely.

mrau wrote:

there was such a thing?

Only Q3D profi cards... aka very rare and expensive stuff http://thedodgegarage.com/3dfx/q3d_obsidian.htm

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 18 of 21, by anthony

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

These sb50 cards are simple and reliable as ak47. No problem to get em to work even if they unworkable

All tricky parts of these cards related to special software on arcades. No problem with glide on pc

Reply 19 of 21, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had a chance to stick the V2 SLI into my HP Vectra P2-400 system. It has onboard Matrox G100. Having Win98 certainly helps make 3d games work more easily on these cards!