VOGONS

Collecting the Right Hardware for your Compatible PC

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 22 of 24, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't care for absolutes and generally don't talk about what I don't know about. I don't know a heck of a lot about the Amigas, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were adaptors for AGA equipped Amigas to enable support for VGA monitors.

What I do know about, is IBM's hardware. Its CGA card, off which every other CGA card was based, had a RCA composite video output jack. This card is not particularly rare, (although MDA cards may be more common), and is instantly recognizable by anyone with knowledge. (IBM, without exception, always made the longest cards for the PC and likely for the PS/2.)

Moreover, Amigas also used analog RGB monitors, like the Commodore 128, Atari ST and just about every arcade game made in color. These are the third type of monitor. (The fourth type is a vector monitor, used by some arcade games and the Vectrex.) These are low fixed-field rate devices, generally rated at 15.75kHz (262.5 lines), whereas VGA monitors are high variable-field rate devices, starting at 31.5 kHz (525 lines).

Reply 23 of 24, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Wow. A bit harsh, no? Shocked […]
Show full quote

Wow. A bit harsh, no? Shocked

I have no doubt that you have quite a grasp of the history of PC's and their components. Many of us do. However, I do find it dubious that anyone would start a thread not with a question or request for help, but with some grand expository about legacy hardware... Only to flame others who may have some misconceptions and aren't as much of a "guru" as yourself.

The truth is, we are all ignorant about certain things, if not many things. Unfortunately, you chose to disparage a member of this board outright. You didn't even attempt to correct his misunderstanding until he *asked* you too.

If you want to post something for the benefit of the whole. Great. Post it and let it be. On the other hand, we aren't really interested in anyone posting for sake of generating praise or some form of guru worship while he/she squashes all the peons. Nobody likes an elitist. Please treat the members of this board w/ a modicum of respect.

I save my respect for those who deserve it. Why should I let some moron, with a dull 5-year-old's grasp of the English Language, challenge go answered? Especially as the hardware knwoledge I previously demonstrated is infinitely superior to his and his idiotic response demanded that I put him in his place. Why should I do more when he didn't even ask in his first response?

Believe me, I don't pursue something I can't attain. I won't get much acclaim for sharing all my knowledge as it is readily available if you know where to look. I would like other people to understand what PC compatible and DOS games were written for and act as a guide for those who want to build retro systems.