VOGONS

First post, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

With Voodoo2 SLI. I already applied the 3.22 patch which supposedly fixes Voodoo2 crashes. Prior to the patch, it would freeze in the menus, now after applying the patch the menus work fine, it only freezes when I hit Start to start the race. If I use the -OnlyPrimaryDisplay switch to force my Matrox G100, it works fine. I've tried other switches, but no luck so far. Also tried disabling SLI in the driver, that didn't help. Using the latest official Voodoo2 Win98 driver.

edit: this is weird. The game works great using the Matrox G100. Some stuff (shadows) does not look like it should, but overall it looks better than expected considering it's a G100. I wonder why it freezes with the Voodoo2? Using Patch 3.22 which supposedly fixes all issues with Voodoo2. 😒

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2 of 13, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@Davros - thanks.

Any driver recommendations? My cards are from Creative Labs and are matched. Currently using latest reference driver (3.02.02). I could try official Creative drivers (which are older than what I'm using) or I could go with one of many versions of FastVoodoo2. Any suggestions from anyone?

Reply 3 of 13, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry mate its a bit of a lottery and even then it may not fix the problem
iirc moto racer isnt a glide game so its not a glide problem

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 4 of 13, by Bladeforce

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Moto racer is a d3d game and glide doesn't have a native version as it's only supported through directx
Maybe this link will help?
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filede … s/?id=814853718

I use wine where it runs fine OOTB

Reply 5 of 13, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for the responses. Right now everything else runs great and I don't feel like experimenting with driver versions for one game, especially since it runs well on the Matrox G100. I'll leave it be. 😀

Reply 7 of 13, by AngieAndretti

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Five years later... same exact problem. I can force the game to run on my GeForce card using the -OnlyPrimaryDisplay switch, same as the original poster, but the game isn't smart enough to deal with a 32-bit color depth on the desktop so it crashes out unless we switch to 16-bit colors manually before launching the game. It works but it feels so clunky. Also it would just be so much cooler to have it running on the Voodoo2's!

Please post if you've ever gotten this to work!

... or, as a fallback, is there a way to tell Windows 98 to switch to 16-bit color, launch the game, wait for it to exit, and then switch back, all with one click?
I've tried batching it but I cannot get the batch to wait until the game exits before trying to revert the color settings.

Reply 8 of 13, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

try timeout "X" in your batch file
or
PING localhost -n "X" >NUL (if your dos has a TCP/IP client)
or
CountDown.exe "X"

"X" = a number
(and 1 to the number of seconds you want in ping)

countdown.exe and sourcecode
https://www.robvanderwoude.com/files/countdown.zip

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 9 of 13, by AngieAndretti

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Davros wrote:
try timeout "X" in your batch file or PING localhost -n "X" >NUL (if your dos has a TCP/IP client) or CountDown.exe "X" […]
Show full quote

try timeout "X" in your batch file
or
PING localhost -n "X" >NUL (if your dos has a TCP/IP client)
or
CountDown.exe "X"

"X" = a number
(and 1 to the number of seconds you want in ping)

countdown.exe and sourcecode
https://www.robvanderwoude.com/files/countdown.zip

I appreciate that but don't all those solutions require that we specify a specific amount of time for the delay?
Problem is we don't know how long I'm going to play the game for, so we need a way to detect when the game exits and only then restore the original color depth.

Reply 10 of 13, by AngieAndretti

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Davros wrote:

try different voddo drivers

... I tried this too, out of curiosity. I ran through all Voodoo2 reference drivers in sequence, from 1.02.50 up to 3.02.02. The older drivers show a bit of texture glitching whereas newer ones do not - but they all crash in the same way at the same time, when clicking the "Race" button.

I'm really surprised by that. I mean, there must be some configuration that works... They must have had it working on a Voodoo2 test bench back in the day, in order to specifically mention that the 3.22 patch corrects crashing seen with the Voodoo2. WTH?

Reply 11 of 13, by AngieAndretti

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OMG! I got it to work!! ... on the Voodoo2's!

Here are all the steps that were required:
1. Patch the game to version 3.22 (there's a link to the patch earlier in the discussion)
2. It may be just me, but I also had to install a No-CD hack because after the game was patched it always claimed the CD was not inserted.
3. Launch the EXE with the following switches: -3DFX -NoPal256
The -Alpha switch also helps things look better IMO, as does setting D3D from "ON" to "Filtered" in the game's options screen. I still haven't found a way to correct texture imperfections under the bike's rear wheel, and with skid marks, but the alpha switch makes this less distracting at least.

This was found to work on a Voodoo2 SLI system using reference driver version 3.02.02, 640x480 screen resolution in-game.

Reply 12 of 13, by NyLan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,
for information this trick works for Moto Racer 2 as well !
Thanks !

My Intel SE440BX-2 Intel's website Mirror : Modified to include docs, refs and BIOSes.
Proud owner of a TL866 II
Personal GitHub