VOGONS

First post, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi folks,
as a soundcards collector I need many ISA slots in my socket 7 build. ATX format is also important because CPU socket in AT often collides with longer cards...
So I'm making a list of Socket 7 (and Super Socket 7) motherboards in ATX format with 4x ISA slots. If you have some ideas - please let me know.

So far we have:
1. Gigabyte GA-586ATX
2. Gigabyte GA-586ATX4
3. Asus TX97-XE
4. Asus TX97-X (XE but without simm / only dimm's)
5. Asus P/I-XP55T2P4 (430HX, 4x ISA)
6. FIC PA-2010+
7. FIC PA-2011
8. ITOX 586ITOX (430TX, 6x ISA !!! , onboard S3 Trio64V+ 1MB)

I'm also very curious was there ever a SIS based socket 7 board in ATX format with 4x ISA? That would be perfect for my Cyrix build...

Thanks for help.

Last edited by Batyra on 2017-07-29, 16:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 1 of 12, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've got an HP computer which has a socket 7, 4 isa slots, ATX form factor and a SiS chipset ^^ I don't remember it's full name though

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2 of 12, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

[edit: added more info on the ITOX board]

Asus P/I-XP55T2P4 (430HX, 4x ISA)

DFI/ITOX G586ITOX/D (430TX, 6x ISA, onboard S3 Trio64V+ 1MB)
web page calls it a "586ITOX" but the PDF brochure uses the name G586ITOX/D which I'm guessing is more correct.
my notes had a link to:
http://www.itox.com/pages/products/mothers/It … b/itoxspec1.php
but that page is 404. It's in archive.org though:
https://web.archive.org/web/20120119003120/ht … b/itoxspec1.php

that page links to this PDF:
https://web.archive.org/web/20120328182421/ht … df/g586itox.pdf
Lists support for Pentium 233 MMX, K6-300MHz, and K6-2 266MHz at max.
It says Vcore options are 2.8, 2.9, 3.2, and 3.5v.

It was marketed for "telephony and industrial applications". It says all 6 ISA slots can hold a full length card, and from the picture that's apparently true. I've never used the board and don't know if there are any limitations using it with sound cards.

Last edited by shamino on 2017-07-31, 01:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 12, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Batyra wrote:

3. Asus TX97-XE

There's also the ASUS TX97-X, which is basically the same board, but which traded in the 72p SIMM sockets for another DIMM socket.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 12, by bbuchholtz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey Guys,

I'm working on a similar project and stumbled upon this thread. I would like to use multiple sound cards in a DFI G586ITOX motherboard. Did you have any issues with using sound cards?

Reason I ask... I found this other thread regarding the DFI G586ITOX and 430TX chipset:
DFI G586ITOX motherboard? Opinions welcome!

According to the thread, it's suspected that the 430TX chipset uses 3.3V on the ISA bus, rather than 5.0V. I wanted to confirm if that was true. And if there were any sound cards not happy with 3.3V.

Here's the quote in question:

Since 430TX chipset motherboards work with 3.3 Volts on the ISA bus instead of the classic 5 Volts, some voltage critical cards (e.g. AVM Fritz! ISDN card) may be malfunctioning.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

-Brian

Reply 7 of 12, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Since 430TX chipset motherboards work with 3.3 Volts on the ISA bus

Hah! No.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 8 of 12, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

M-tech R552 is an ATX socket7 board with *five* ISA slots. M-tech was all about the 5 slots, and you could find it on many of their boards for a time.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 9 of 12, by bbuchholtz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm starting to think you have a penchant for M-tech. You seem quite fond of your R418W2 😁

I definitely like that the R552 has 4 PCI slots and the ATX form-factor is super convenient. Did a quick search and seems a little hard to find. I'll add it to my eBay search list.

I'm also considering this board: Mustang Ultra-R547

6x ISA and 2xPCI (1 shared slot). It's AT form-factor... but, I can live with that.

-Brian

Reply 11 of 12, by bbuchholtz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I received my DFI G586ITOX today. It arrived sooner than expected.

So far, I'm really liking this board. I did a quick test with my DMM, and the power rail on the ISA bus is 5.0V. Also, I tested a few sound cards and they seem to work ok. Even my SBPro CT1600 is working just fine.

I updated the BIOS and installed a K6-II processor. So far, I'm having only partial success with K6-III+. The board POSTs ok... but booting to DOS is not so happy.

I have already found a couple of undocumented settings for this board. Officially, the board supports a Vcore all the way down to 2.1V. Which is suitable for K6-II. However, I was able to get this board down to 2.0V.
JP1: 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8

Also, I found some undocumented multipliers. Officially, the board supports 3.5x. I was able to get up to 5.5x. I have this baby running at 366MHz.
JP7: 5-6

-Brian

Reply 12 of 12, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bbuchholtz wrote on 2020-07-09, 18:50:

I'm starting to think you have a penchant for M-tech. You seem quite fond of your R418W2 😁

I wouldn't necessarily say that I have a penchant for M-tech, but I am aware of their products because I owned an R534F when it was new, and I spent a lot of time on their website, ftp server and usenet group trying to sort out my problems. They had a couple of products that were targeted at people who moved components from an older build to a newer one, so that kind of made them cool. But...on other other hand, they also had a few stinkers. I don't think they were around very long before being gobbled up by Soyo.

BTW, my R418 is currently non functional. Bad solder joints on the chipset, and I need to invest in better tools to fix it. R418 is alright for the money, but there are better SiS 496/7 boards for sure.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium