VOGONS

First post, by MII-333

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Right now I'm looking to revive my old OptiPlex 170L a little bit by throwing a peppy graphics card in it, but I can't seem to find any concrete answers on what the fastest ones are. Only real things I'm looking for is PCI, low profile, ideally VGA + DVI output (HDMI would be nice but I understand a lot of cards like this not having it), and not breaking the bank.

So far the best contender is the Radeon HD 3450, but I'm open for other cards that are faster and not much more money (card I have my eyes on right now is 20 USD). Thanks for any help y'all can offer.

Compaq Presario 2286: Cyrix MII 250MHz, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, SiS Integrated graphics, SoundBlasterPCI 128 (for cleaner output signal), 4GB Seagate (OS), 40GB Maxtor DiamondMax+ 9 (games and MIDIs)

Reply 1 of 12, by dr.sbaitso

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The Zotac GT 610 PCI comes with low profile brackets and will do HDMI, DVI, and VGA. https://www.zotac.com/ca/product/graphics_card/gt-610-pci-0

Other manufacturers (EVGA, Palit, etc) seem to have similar models.

Reply 2 of 12, by i486_inside

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The 8400gs is faster than the HD3450 from what I can see online, faster PCI cards like the 9500gt and faster are pointless and are massively bottle necked by the PCI bus. I did a review of the 9500gt PCI about a month ago, Jaton 9500GT PCI BENCHMARKS/REVIEW , and I found that the card was bottle necked majorly in benchmarks , and I later found some comparable benchmarks that showed that the 9500gt PCI was not really any faster than the 9400gt PCI and that was using a fast Athlon 64 system. For a Pentium 4 system that only has PCI as the only GPU upgrade I recommend buying what ever you can PCI GPU you can find cheapest, or better yet junk the PCI only board and find a cheap 478 board with AGP, just about any AGP GPU will be an improvement over Intel Extreme Graphics, and you eliminate the PCI bottleneck problem you get with PCI GPUs, I found that any time the HDD was heavily accessed while running a game that my 9500gt PCI would lag badly and it also seemed that the GPU had problems with screen tearing which I theorize to be happening because the GPU can't get new data fast enough do it just has to process what ever it has which results in a torn image.

Reply 3 of 12, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
i486_inside wrote:

junk the PCI only board and find a cheap 478 board with AGP,

Actually, even though this is a Dell, this is still highly possible because the Optiplex 170L Small Desktop uses the same motherboard form factor as the GX2x0 series so you might as well replace the 170L motherboard with a GX260 or GX270 motherboard to get AGP, GX260 motherboards are still pretty cheap (around $19-$30) the last time I've checked.

i486_inside wrote:

just about any AGP GPU will be an improvement over Intel Extreme Graphics,

Not all AGP video cards perform better than the Intel Extreme Graphics GPU used in 845-865 chipsets, AGP has been around since 1997 so this means the Rage Pro and Riva128 are the oldest for AGP and even the Intel GPU has some improvements over those GPUs, performance increase starts to show when you go for something like a Radeon 7x00, a Geforce2, or anything newer than that.

Reply 4 of 12, by i486_inside

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What I meant was just about any dirt cheap AGP card from the era is better, something like a cheap geforce 4mx or fx5200 or those dirt cheap firegl t2 cards that should perform similar to a radeon 9600. Most of the low profile cards use a dms-59 connector but a dms-59 to dual vga breakout is only like 4 or 5 dollars.

Reply 5 of 12, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some cards have LFH-60pin, some DMS-59pin. It's abvious that they are not the same. So how about a ATIfireGL-t2 with LFH60 pin? I can find DMS-59 to DVI connectore (no cable) for 5 USD. But LFH-60 BreakoutCables cost 30 USD. Has anyone ever tested how comaptible these connectors are? In short, does a DMS-59 to DVI connector work, or is the one missing PIN essentiell?

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 6 of 12, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
KCompRoom2000 wrote on 2017-07-30, 20:51:
Actually, even though this is a Dell, this is still highly possible because the Optiplex 170L Small Desktop uses the same mother […]
Show full quote
i486_inside wrote:

junk the PCI only board and find a cheap 478 board with AGP,

Actually, even though this is a Dell, this is still highly possible because the Optiplex 170L Small Desktop uses the same motherboard form factor as the GX2x0 series so you might as well replace the 170L motherboard with a GX260 or GX270 motherboard to get AGP, GX260 motherboards are still pretty cheap (around $19-$30) the last time I've checked.

i486_inside wrote:

just about any AGP GPU will be an improvement over Intel Extreme Graphics,

Not all AGP video cards perform better than the Intel Extreme Graphics GPU used in 845-865 chipsets, AGP has been around since 1997 so this means the Rage Pro and Riva128 are the oldest for AGP and even the Intel GPU has some improvements over those GPUs, performance increase starts to show when you go for something like a Radeon 7x00, a Geforce2, or anything newer than that.

Yah somewhere around OG TNT or Rage II+ things start to outdo it. So basically forget 1st gen AGP, 99 or later is safest..... and btw if you see 3DMark scores putting it level with a TNT2, run it yourself and WATCH the output, frameskips like crazy, huge cheat.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 7 of 12, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr.sbaitso wrote on 2017-07-28, 03:16:

The Zotac GT 610 PCI comes with low profile brackets and will do HDMI, DVI, and VGA. https://www.zotac.com/ca/product/graphics_card/gt-610-pci-0

Be aware that this card is passively cooled and runs very hot. It needs a case with good ventilation.

Alternatively, you can buy a cheap PCIe Zotac from the same era and transfer its HSF to the 610. (There is an unutilized power connector for a fan on the board.)

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 8 of 12, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Errius wrote on 2021-08-18, 08:34:
dr.sbaitso wrote on 2017-07-28, 03:16:

Be aware that this card is passively cooled and runs very hot. It needs a case with good ventilation.

Alternatively, you can buy a cheap PCIe Zotac from the same era and transfer its HSF to the 610. (There is an unutilized power connector for a fan on the board.)

I am waiting for the same card to arrive and I expected such problem. The GT610 of another brand in PCIe format I have, share the same temperature problem on the passive heatsink with GPU internal temp reaching 100°C even on opened case during 3D tests. I suppose I might look for the active cooler of the PCIe card too.

Reply 10 of 12, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

At first I was thinking that might have been the problem but that PCIe GT610 heatsink metal is really "burning" so I always imagined that there was contact between the core and the double slot massive heatsink. I suppose the 40nm GPU process (the same of the older 210 gpu) is the problem here and if I'm correct I think it was some sort of renamed GT520 or whatever.