VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 100 of 120, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

GTX 750Ti and GTX 660 will be the retro GPU of the future just due to the sheer number of them made. Those two models probably have more in existence than the rest of NVIDIAs 6xx/7xx line up. I think the rare GPUs will end up being stuff like the GTX 590 and the OG Titan that overheated and failed so often.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 101 of 120, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

GTX 750Ti and GTX 660 will be the retro GPU of the future just due to the sheer number of them made. Those two models probably have more in existence than the rest of NVIDIAs 6xx/7xx line up. I think the rare GPUs will end up being stuff like the GTX 590 and the OG Titan that overheated and failed so often.

No. Looking at how many GF2 MX400s, etc we have now I think the 620 and cards like it will be the more modern equivalent.

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 102 of 120, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xplus93 wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

No. Looking at how many GF2 MX400s, etc we have now I think the 620 and cards like it will be the more modern equivalent.

Wrong. OEMs used to put actual GPUs in low end PCs at that time frame. Have you noticed how NVIDIA stopped making ultra low end cards? The lowest card in the current lineup is the 1030. OEMs don't buy anymore.

I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 103 of 120, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
xplus93 wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Wrong. OEMs used to put actual GPUs in low end PCs at that time frame. Have you noticed how NVIDIA stopped making ultra low end cards? The lowest card in the current lineup is the 1030. OEMs don't buy anymore.

I simply was pointing out how common cards like the 620 were for OEMs. Definitely not equivalent in relative performance. The 620 is just a glorified frame buffer.

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 104 of 120, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My opinion depends on where these companies are getting their items.

If they look for cheap hardware on ebay and then just re-sell it with a higher price tag then that's pretty scummy.

If they go through recycling centers or offices getting rid of old inventories, etc. then I have no problem. I actually think it's pretty good, since that way retro hardware that is only available to a very limited group of local people is made available to a much wider market.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 105 of 120, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

...the GTX 590 and the OG Titan that overheated and failed so often.

If we use them for retro games that came earlier than the said GPU's, would they get overheated? Like, if I use, say GeForce 6800 Ultra (a 2004 GPU) to maximize AA and AF on Crimson Skies (a 2000 game), would the GPU get overheated?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 106 of 120, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

...the GTX 590 and the OG Titan that overheated and failed so often.

If we use them for retro games that came earlier than the said GPU's, would they get overheated? Like, if I use, say GeForce 6800 Ultra (a 2004 GPU) to maximize AA and AF on Crimson Skies (a 2000 game), would the GPU get overheated?

In theory any GPU that has absolute shit stock cooling ran under extreme load for long durations of time has a higher chance of failure.

Reply 107 of 120, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Both GTX 590 and Titan have certain TDP limitations, so they will last most likely. Of course if you're not trying to overwrite limits in BIOS and kill VRM with extreme OC.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 108 of 120, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't care at all that some people want lots of money for certain old hardware. It's the free market, you're free to take part in it or not. Classic hardware is not a necessity to live, unlike water, food, clothes, healthcare and real estate. I do laugh once in a while when I see an Atari Falcon, Amiga 4000 or Apple Lisa sell for a 4 digit sum. I remember the early 00's when you could pick any of those up for under € 300 (some of you probably remember picking them up for free in the late 90's). I have had the pleasure to own, restore and play with a lot of those classic systems and I have sold them all because I lost my interest in them and I could get a nice sum of money for them. The ironical thing is that my interest is now in late 90's and early 00's pc hardware, the stuff that I should have kept and taken when it was worth almost nothing a couple years ago (but did not because I thought I would never use it nor did I consider it valuable). Now the prices of some items finally have started to increase. Still, I don't need a fancy Voodoo 5 card to make me happy. Any old graphics card that performs pretty well in NFS is ok for me (don't have time for shooters, strategy and simulator games anymore!). I don't really play with my systems a lot, I'm busy with my work and the part I enjoy most about the hobby is actually just building a system and making it work and look like new (anyone out here who just enjoys that part as well?). Still, you can get a lot of old pc parts for next to nothing, especially if you're willing to take small risks like buying lots from people who don't properly advertise their items. That's also part of the hobby; the thrill of finding something you've always wanted in a lot.

Just a top tip for newbies in this hobby: get those P4 and Athlon XP pc's with matching late CRT monitors now before those too become valuable 😉

Reply 109 of 120, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SpectriaForce wrote:

I don't care at all that some people want lots of money for certain old hardware. It's the free market, you're free to take part in it or not. Classic hardware is not a necessity to live, unlike water, food, clothes, healthcare and real estate. I do laugh once in a while when I see an Atari Falcon, Amiga 4000 or Apple Lisa sell for a 4 digit sum. I remember the early 00's when you could pick any of those up for under € 300 (some of you probably remember picking them up for free in the late 90's). I have had the pleasure to own, restore and play with a lot of those classic systems and I have sold them all because I lost my interest in them and I could get a nice sum of money for them. The ironical thing is that my interest is now in late 90's and early 00's pc hardware, the stuff that I should have kept and taken when it was worth almost nothing a couple years ago (but did not because I thought I would never use it nor did I consider it valuable). Now the prices of some items finally have started to increase. Still, I don't need a fancy Voodoo 5 card to make me happy. Any old graphics card that performs pretty well in NFS is ok for me (don't have time for shooters, strategy and simulator games anymore!). I don't really play with my systems a lot, I'm busy with my work and the part I enjoy most about the hobby is actually just building a system and making it work and look like new (anyone out here who just enjoys that part as well?). Still, you can get a lot of old pc parts for next to nothing, especially if you're willing to take small risks like buying lots from people who don't properly advertise their items. That's also part of the hobby; the thrill of finding something you've always wanted in a lot.

Just a top tip for newbies in this hobby: get those P4 and Athlon XP pc's with matching late CRT monitors now before those too become valuable 😉

I'm already stockpiling both. My main XP build is a ridiculously upgraded Dimension 4600.

Reply 110 of 120, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
SpectriaForce wrote:

fortunaly I already have a very nice Athlon build lying around 😊

currently 286-486 is considerd retro/nostalgic thus prices are at a all time high, pentium I/II is on the march with seemingly increasing prices (i.e. voodoo's have doubled and almost tripled in price compared to last year), motherboards are increasing in price aswell. fortunaly for most of us is the ATX form factor still being used in modern computers still (wondering when this changes tbh).
what I do notice is the rarity of certain GPU though on the AGP market beside the low/mid end class cards which are there for a dime a dozen. IF people really want to start on collecting the early to mid 00's era stuff I think PSU and motherboards are your best investment (especially high end PSU for the athlon computers which required a strong 5V rail, these are already near impossible to find).

Reply 111 of 120, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't see the point in hoarding hardware. It's all homogeneous after 2000 and can be easily run in a virtual machine. I have one super P4, P3, etc. Past that, I only get things that are unique.

I don't miss CRTs. I don't miss 98. But that's just me.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 112 of 120, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Richo wrote:

IF people really want to start on collecting the early to mid 00's era stuff I think PSU and motherboards are your best investment (especially high end PSU for the athlon computers which required a strong 5V rail, these are already near impossible to find).

Nahh, I can still pretty easily find -5V ATX power supplies on eBay (and locally) for little money. You just need to know your brands and models 😀

S462/S478 motherboards are very easy to find and dirt cheap. Even socket 2/3, 5/7 and slot 1 motherboards are plenty. More difficult to find and quite expensive are good S370's, especially with support for Tualatin, S423, SS7, slot A and of course old server (Xeon) boards can be hard to find.

We'll see what today's youth value in the next 10 years 🤣

Reply 113 of 120, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Watch, it will be old cell phones. Even I miss my first smart phone, the G1 (HTC Dream). I can get one off ebay for $20, but it will just be a paperweight. shame really.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 114 of 120, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

Watch, it will be old cell phones. Even I miss my first smart phone, the G1 (HTC Dream). I can get one off ebay for $20, but it will just be a paperweight. shame really.

I think people who grew up with laptops will collect those, and few people bother to save and restore them.

What phone was the first to use wifi? Anything built before that will be useless sooner or later.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 115 of 120, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
SpectriaForce wrote:
Nahh, I can still pretty easily find -5V ATX power supplies on eBay (and locally) for little money. You just need to know your b […]
Show full quote
Richo wrote:

IF people really want to start on collecting the early to mid 00's era stuff I think PSU and motherboards are your best investment (especially high end PSU for the athlon computers which required a strong 5V rail, these are already near impossible to find).

Nahh, I can still pretty easily find -5V ATX power supplies on eBay (and locally) for little money. You just need to know your brands and models 😀

S462/S478 motherboards are very easy to find and dirt cheap. Even socket 2/3, 5/7 and slot 1 motherboards are plenty. More difficult to find and quite expensive are good S370's, especially with support for Tualatin, S423, SS7, slot A and of course old server (Xeon) boards can be hard to find.

We'll see what today's youth value in the next 10 years 🤣

-5 of 5v? I am referring to strong 5V quality PSU with at least 30+A on the 5V rail those are ones required for Athlon builds.
Decent s370 are getting rare except for those Asus boards which are too of the line quality wise though. Took me a while to recourse my s70 build (mobi was hard to find).
Slot A seems to be really rare at least the high end ones, then again those were from a era were Intel was especially bitchy and oppressing the manufacturs.

Reply 116 of 120, by SaxxonPike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SpectriaForce wrote:

For sure. It feels to me that the Pentium 4 era is when manufacturing really stepped up and produced a whole ton of electronics. Then, a lot of us jumped ship when Core 2 was the new hotness. Even good Core 2s cost more than a P4 right now. Even the fastest readily available P4 for both 400 and 533 FSB can be had for super cheap. I really do think the supply for these processors and the boards they belong to will far outweigh the demand for many years to come. They're just so obnoxiously plentiful.

A good S370 on the other hand... that's been a struggle.

Sound device guides:
Sound Blaster
Aztech
OPL3-SA

Reply 117 of 120, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Scalpers are already charging premium for good S462/478 boards. Especially for boards with ISA slots.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 119 of 120, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Scalpers are already charging premium for good S462/478 boards. Especially for boards with ISA slots.

Yes, and they never sell and sit on eBay forever. There are always people who list them for reasonable (IE: $20ish) prices. You just need to look at more than the first 5 results.