VOGONS

Windows 9x RPG or FPS games

Topic actions

First post, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi people, which g or fps game do you guys recommend me to buy and play?
I enjoy games like diablo 1 and 2(however i hate diablo 3), for rpg style games, and for FPS games i really enjoy half life, performance isnt a problem for my windows 98 build(p4 3.2, radeon 9600, 256mb ddr)
The only problem is dos games( my sb live dont work on dos), so which games you guys recommend me? If is available on gog it would be awesome.
Thank you all

Reply 1 of 20, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Baldur's Gate I and II, Planescape Torment, Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, Thief Gold.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2 of 20, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Final Fantasy VII (The original one, not the remade one on Steam)

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 20, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:

Final Fantasy VII (The original one, not the remade one on Steam)

The pc version is like the ps1 version right?
I will try to find the original one for pc.

clueless1 wrote:

Baldur's Gate I and II, Planescape Torment, Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, Thief Gold.

thank you a lot, the jedi knight II is like the podracer? I mean start really easy but the game turn into a fraking ultra hard hell to finish?

Reply 4 of 20, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No, JK and JK2 are just really really good FPS games. They can be hard, though. They always make me wonder if the Emperor deregulated Imperial safety.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 5 of 20, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

JK and JK2 are really fun games, Id pick them up over just about anything else. And skip FF7 if you don't have it all ready. I just don't see why so many like that game. It's complete trash even by its own standers. FF8 was ok and often over looked.

Also the first deus ex is on my list of must have 9x games.

Reply 6 of 20, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jade Falcon wrote:

JK and JK2 are really fun games, Id pick them up over just about anything else. And skip FF7 if you don't have it all ready. I just don't see why so many like that game. It's complete trash even by its own standers. FF8 was ok and often over looked.

FF8 had absolutely horrible graphics. The character models looked like they were blurred versions of some crappy security cam recordings. Don't think I ever even finished FF8.

FFIX returned to the way better cartoon style characters.

I actually pre-ordered FFVII for the PC and still have it in the original box with the receipt and everything else.

It was a good/great game.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 20, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:

FF VII in my opinion is the best, maybe for nostalgic reasons but i guess i see what you mean.
I will try Deus Ex aswell.
I guess Baldur's Gate I and II, Planetsxape Torment and JK will make me entertainet for a while.
I really dont like games that are too difficult and not too easy(its get boring).
By the way is there anyone that has old version of cheat engine that will run on Windows 9x?
There are some games that i would revisit and do some crazy stuff.

Thief is a nice game on the the beginning of the game, when the supernatural stuff starts it just get me annoyed.

Reply 8 of 20, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
.legaCy wrote:
Hi people, which g or fps game do you guys recommend me to buy and play? I enjoy games like diablo 1 and 2(however i hate diablo […]
Show full quote

I enjoy games like diablo 1 and 2(however i hate diablo 3), for rpg style games, and for FPS games i really enjoy half life, performance isnt a problem for my windows 98 build(p4 3.2, radeon 9600, 256mb ddr)
The only problem is dos games( my sb live dont work on dos), so which games you guys recommend me? If is available on gog it would be awesome.
Thank you all

For games like Diablo, there aren't very many that are exclusive to the Windows 98 era but there are some that overlap the 98/XP era; specifically Dungeon Siege and Divine Divinity spring to mind.

As for true RPGs, there are games like Baldur's Gate I and 2, Planescape: Torment, Fallout 1 & 2 and Might & Magic VI, which are classics. Daggerfall in '96 is a Win95 game technically but more or less made the first person sandbox RPG experience popular, there is also Morrowind from 2002 that is technically an XP game but runs on Win98 fine. Looking Glass masterpieces System Shock 2 and Deus Ex are also from this era.

Moving on to FPSs, there are too many to name but off the top of my head Thief, Sin, Shogo, Jedi Knight, Rainbow Six in 1998, Quake 3, Unreal Tournament, Delta Force 2, Rogue Spear in 1999, NOLF and Soldier of Fortune in 2000 kind of stand out. There is also Daikatana if you feel like sharing in on one of the greatest letdowns in gaming history.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 9 of 20, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
For games like Diablo, there aren't very many that are exclusive to the Windows 98 era but there are some that overlap the 98/XP […]
Show full quote
.legaCy wrote:
Hi people, which g or fps game do you guys recommend me to buy and play? I enjoy games like diablo 1 and 2(however i hate diablo […]
Show full quote

Thank you all

For games like Diablo, there aren't very many that are exclusive to the Windows 98 era but there are some that overlap the 98/XP era; specifically Dungeon Siege and Divine Divinity spring to mind.

As for true RPGs, there are games like Baldur's Gate I and 2, Planescape: Torment, Fallout 1 & 2 and Might & Magic VI, which are classics. Daggerfall in '96 is a Win95 game technically but more or less made the first person sandbox RPG experience popular, there is also Morrowind from 2002 that is technically an XP game but runs on Win98 fine. Looking Glass masterpieces System Shock 2 and Deus Ex are also from this era.

Moving on to FPSs, there are too many to name but off the top of my head Thief, Sin, Shogo, Jedi Knight, Rainbow Six in 1998, Quake 3, Unreal Tournament, Delta Force 2, Rogue Spear in 1999, NOLF and Soldier of Fortune in 2000 kind of stand out. There is also Daikatana if you feel like sharing in on one of the greatest letdowns in gaming history.

I really hate the controls of System Shock, is system shock 2 the same style? for me FPS with good controls are WASD or keys(forward, backward, strafe left, strafe right) with mouse look and shoot.
2002 games are a little bit "too new" but hey, why not play it?
Deus Ex is on sale on GoG, so i just bought now. some others i will wait for a sale(and thats why i love GoG, retro gaming is expensive enough so GoG is create a great opportunity to get legitimate version of the game and i really don't like installing pirated stuff, it might be infected and all the legal reasons)

Reply 10 of 20, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

System Shock 2 is WASD first person, but don't expect it to control like a modern FPS..

Reply 11 of 20, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

System Shock 2 is WASD first person, but don't expect it to control like a modern FPS..

if it behave like Duke 3D or Doom (the MS-DOS one) its fine, the problem with System Shock 1 was the mouse controlling the movement, i just can't handle that.

Edit: i take back my words about liking GOG, i had all the trouble of unpacking their stupid installer, i converted the install script to work on Inno Setup 4 , rebuilt the package, installed on my windows 98 machine and BAAAAAM the executable crashes.
What good is to sell good old games if they don't run on the good old O.S ?

Edit: Turn out that was the launcher crashing, i can run the game by it real executable.

Reply 12 of 20, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Gog games are for running older games on newer OSes they dont always necessarily run well on the original OS.

Reply 13 of 20, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:

Gog games are for running older games on newer OSes they dont always necessarily run well on the original OS.

That is THE big issue for me. I would have bought lot's of games there if they would run on the system they have been released of.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 14 of 20, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr.zeissler wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

That is THE big issue for me. I would have bought lot's of games there if they would run on the system they have been released of.

It's the issue for everyone here I'd presume; they should definitely offer disk and cd images of the original release along with the WinXP+ release.. but they don't. It's the one reason I buy a fraction of what I could; I rather go hunting down stuff on eBay.

Reply 15 of 20, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
.legaCy wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

if it behave like Duke 3D or Doom (the MS-DOS one) its fine, the problem with System Shock 1 was the mouse controlling the movement, i just can't handle that.

I played System Shock 1 mostly from keyboard. If I remember correctly:
S walks forward
W runs forward
A turns left
D turns right
Z strafes left
C strafes right
X backs up

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 16 of 20, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
cyclone3d wrote:

FF8 had absolutely horrible graphics. The character models looked like they were blurred versions of some crappy security cam recordings. Don't think I ever even finished FF8.

Must be playing in software mode at low rez. Ether way it doesn't really matter for games like this.

Reply 17 of 20, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nox and Revenant were great Win9X games, reminiscent of Diablo.

American McGee's Alice was also really good, and Lands of Lore: Guardians of Destiny as well, but they were first/third-person action RPGs, mayb enot what you're interested in.

Reply 18 of 20, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No One Lives Forever 1 and 2 are fantastic games. They were released 2000 and 2002 (I think), so maybe a little later than W9X, but will run well on your P4 system. I'd also suggest Thief 1 and 2.

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC