VOGONS

First post, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi everyone.

I got rid of my retro PC kit but a couple of months later, I now have the itch again! I kept my generic but functional case from last time (It would have been part of own-brand PC from UK shop Novatech), but to make it more interesting I am thinking of painting it. Well, I've already sanded it down and now primed it, so it's a bit late to be 'thinking' about it:

IGXP6ISh.jpg
tOR2jGZh.jpg
dirj70Ah.jpg
cDChSekh.jpg
unHFSWoh.jpg?1

I am not sure what colours to paint it, or if I want to do a (basic!) design on it, like a game logo. The inside will be painted white / off-white as I think it looks classy!

This PC will house an MSI Slot A motherboard, 550CPU or 750MHz CPU, 256MB SDRAM, and various GPUs such as TNT2 / 440MX / 4200ti / 9600XT / FX5700.

Last edited by Almoststew1990 on 2017-09-07, 20:29. Edited 1 time in total.

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 1 of 5, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Id take it by the red oxide primer that you oain old cars?

Nice work so far!

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2017-09-01, 13:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 5, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nope, no involvement with old cars! I chose this primer as it could be used on anything, and I wanted to get the same overall paint finish between the metal case and the plastic front if the case. Also the shop had limited stock of any primer at the time.

Reply 3 of 5, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I see, Not sure about the UK, but here state side you hardly ever see anyone use red oxide primer. I tend to only see is use on OE car restorations. Honestly I prefer it.

I can't wait to see how it turns out. you really seem to know what your doing with the paint.

Reply 4 of 5, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well the painting didn't go too well. Some red "patches" seem to have crept through even after multiple coats of white paint. The inside looks good however; I really like the look of a painted inside of case!

b1g9mWZh.jpg
pCtP9Skh.jpg
slqMyBGh.jpg
plMbyF1h.jpg

I ran out of paint before painting the inside of the side panels so it has a contrasting red area 😁
IKgQ8ybh.jpg

It now has a MSI MS-6191 with 550MHz Slot A CPU; 256MB SDR RAM; Voodoo 3 2000 and SB Live! card.

If I can be bothered I'll finish my design, which is based on the FEISAR colour scheme in wipeout:

(this is a side and front view)
yZHDAmx.png

Reply 5 of 5, by TOBOR

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Automotive primers usually need at least 2 coats with sanding lightly before the first coat of paint. that is why the primer shows. Not completely flat primer surface will create hills and valleys making coverage of the top coat more difficult to lay flat.

If the truth hurts, tough shit.