VOGONS

First post, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, good night.

I am a new user here, and I decided to try and ask for help... I am testing with this version of DOSBox for OSX (http://dosbox-x.com), because apparently is supposed to have NE2000 emulation. Was the only one with this for OSX that I could find. I wanted to run Windows For Workgroups 3.11 with network just for fun and to have a fully operational virtual "old machine".

I am using macOS Sierra 10.12 and I am baffled by why the network doesn't work. I have done the same with Parallels Desktop 13 and network does work there, but unfortunately Parallels doesn't have drivers for the sound. Hence why I wanted to try and make it work on DosBox. I can play my games on DOSBOX, there is sound, everything works, WfWG was successfully installed and runs fine except for the networking. It's practically a clean install but no networking.

I did everything I was supposed to do:
- Got a disk image, installed with MSDOS 6.22 and booted it successfully;
- DosBox console is showing that it is looking for network interfaces, so libpcap is definitely there, otherwise it would throw an error message;
- But the listed interfaces are shown with "(no description)", therefore I cannot choose one that could work.

Basically, looks like I need to be able to select one network interface, to continue the routine of configuring the network for WfWG, but I can't.

I am at loss here. I've even disabled SIP, tried to run DOSBOX as root, but no luck. I did some research and found that someone posted about having to edit two lines in libpcap-bpf.c to make it work on OS X. But I can't for the life of me find where is this file to edit these lines? Could someone please point me to the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Bruninho on 2019-02-18, 06:33. Edited 1 time in total.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 1 of 39, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You should have this file somewhere in the sources of libcap. I had this working ages ago with Dosbox and the ne2000 patch but I don‘t remember the specifics. Running as root was one, though.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 39, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote:

You should have this file somewhere in the sources of libcap. I had this working ages ago with Dosbox and the ne2000 patch but I don‘t remember the specifics. Running as root was one, though.

Thanks! But I am really having a hard time trying to find where is libpcap and this file (libpcap-bpf.c). You're right, root access is required to execute dosbox with ne2000! I tried that, same results though. I need to find the location of this file to try it since it seems to be the last thing I haven't tried yet.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 3 of 39, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

1. it is rather pcap-bpf.c from what I gather from a quick search
2. it's something you change in the libcap sources and then recompile those and then use the recompiled libcap when compiling DOSBox-x.

I got it working back then through the steps outlined by Rhoenie https://web.archive.org/web/20140904173927/ht … x/dosbox_ne2000

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 39, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote:

1. it is rather pcap-bpf.c from what I gather from a quick search
2. it's something you change in the libcap sources and then recompile those and then use the recompiled libcap when compiling DOSBox-x.

I got it working back then through the steps outlined by Rhoenie https://web.archive.org/web/20140904173927/ht … x/dosbox_ne2000

Ah... I see... if only I had some sort of how-to guide to recompile it all for the current macOS. Is there any guide for this? Because I am not so good when it comes to doing these things, I am only a webdesigner with some nostalgia for old tech. 😐

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 5 of 39, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I found this:
https://hexeract.wordpress.com/2016/09/10/bui … r-macos-sierra/

It seems to be a detailed guide on how to compile dosbox.

But how exactly I should apply the ne2000 patch to it, is unknown to me.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 6 of 39, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

It all depends how much you really really need a network enabled Dosbox. I‘ve detailed steps a lot of time and am providing a snapshot of current SVN of DOSBox. That guide is ok but as a novice you will run into problems with the steps and you want a more complicated thing with libcap. Not to mention that you will end up with a 64bit build that is very noticeable slower than a 32bit build...

Reply 7 of 39, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

After I spent the entire day trying to find a way to compile it all without errors, I just decided to give up. I got it all that is required to compile, but it throws errors after errors. I find it funny, because I can access network with WfWG in a Parallels Desktop VM, but the VM doesn't have sound, nor Parallels can provide the drivers required for the sound to work, hence why I wanted to try and get it all working on DosBox. I guess that maybe I can have better luck trying to find sound drivers for my Parallels VM. I also own a jailbroken iPad, with DosPad/iDOS running the same Windows, but no networking as well.

I will just run Windows 3.1 with no networking at all, instead of Windows For Workgroups 3.11, which is a shame, because WfWG was the version used by me and my old dad in his 486 computer, back in late 80's/early 90's. I just wanted to bring back some nostalgia, anyway thanks for your help.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 8 of 39, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote:

It all depends how much you really really need a network enabled Dosbox. I‘ve detailed steps a lot of time and am providing a snapshot of current SVN of DOSBox. That guide is ok but as a novice you will run into problems with the steps and you want a more complicated thing with libcap. Not to mention that you will end up with a 64bit build that is very noticeable slower than a 32bit build...

Just one more thing... my Windows 3.11 is configured to run 1024x768 and 256 colors, when I run in Fullscreen mode, I get the correct resolution we should expect, and looks great. But when I switch it to the windowed mode, it gets distorted like if it was squeezed. Why? How do I fix this?

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 9 of 39, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Try my SVN built, last time I tried WfW worked in windowed mode. Could be a DOSBox-x issue

Reply 10 of 39, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi... I wanted to try it one more time...

This is what I get when I try to run DOSBOX-X (https://github.com/joncampbell123/dosbox-x) with sudo:

Attachments

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 11 of 39, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You haven‘t booted an image and I don’t remember if you have to enter stuff in the config.

Reply 12 of 39, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote:

You haven‘t booted an image and I don’t remember if you have to enter stuff in the config.

Well, another day, another attempt. This time I did an image with MSDOS 6.22 installed on it, booted it, I also entered the lines needed for NE2000 in the config file.

For the lines I researched for them here:
https://web.archive.org/web/20140419132245/ht … x/dosbox_ne2000

The console reports this when I try to use:

LOG: Using Network interface: en0 (no description) LOG: Unable to open the interface: en0: BIOCSRTIMEOUT: Invalid argument. […]
Show full quote

LOG: Using Network interface:
en0
(no description)
LOG:
Unable to open the interface: en0: BIOCSRTIMEOUT: Invalid argument.

of course I am using sudo when running dosbox.

I also downloaded a NE2000 packet driver, got it into the image, and when I try to set it up it gives me the following invalid mac address: FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF

I have both wired (en0) and wifi (en1) interfaces, but they don't seem to be working with this 🙁

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 13 of 39, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Is it using the correct config, did you enter the stuff as described in that blog post by rhoenie, did you stadt the ne2000 network driver, did you the other stuff in that blog post?
And did you succeed with libcap and is Dosbox-x compiled with it?

Reply 14 of 39, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote:

Is it using the correct config, did you enter the stuff as described in that blog post by rhoenie, did you stadt the ne2000 network driver, did you the other stuff in that blog post?
And did you succeed with libcap and is Dosbox-x compiled with it?

The config file is correct, I do have the ne2000 driver, quite everything that is described in that blog post.

As for the libpcap and Dosbox-X, I thought that the version for macOS available for download there was supposed to have it already, so I downloaded it and tried it. I might need to contact the developer and see if he can help me. Because I did not have any success trying to compile everything together.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 15 of 39, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You need to find out whether it already has libcap AND if it was patched as in the blog post. And then you need to start the driver as well to see if it makes a difference

Reply 16 of 39, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, you're right. I will try to contact the developer of this version and see if he can provide me some info.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 17 of 39, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have found a script (https://gist.github.com/mainframed/2300903d9c … 2ab431ca152dffc). It was mentioned in tumblr (https://mainframed767.tumblr.com/post/1645241 … ogether-at-last).

This script lets you connect Windows 3.11 to the internet with PPP and Trumpet WinSock in DOSBox. However, it was made for linux, not macOS. I am having a hard time to make it work, I think that I (maybe) have managed to edit this script for macOS, but I am not sure if it is working or not before going into DOSBox.

When I go to DOSBOX, run windows, and then run trumpet winsock following his instructions, I can only go as far as to "CONNECT 57600" response. If it was working, it would return my ip address so I would be able to test it with ping before doing other things. What am I doing wrong?

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 18 of 39, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got the script working on a Raspberry Pi3 and DosBox 0.74, and now my Windows 3.11 can successfully connect to the internet. But I can't for the life of me change the right lines to make it work for macOS High Sierra. Anyone here with the knowledge of pfctl (or simply pf) can help me?

I also found a new version of the same script which can detect if you are on OSX or Linux and run the right lines for each system:
https://github.com/knightmare2600/oldschool/b … W/dosbox_ppp.sh

The script as it is originally was useless on Raspbian until I added the following lines (after the line enabling the ip forwarding):

# Allow established connections
iptables -A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

# Masquerade
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o wlan0 -j MASQUERADE

Then it worked on Raspbian flawlessly. Which means that I need to "translate" these lines for the corresponding OSX system to make it work there.

This is by far the easiest way to make a Win3.11 WFG system connect to the internet with pure DOSBOX 0.74 and no patches or NE2000 emulation. I just need some knowledge on how to do ip forwarding on macOS High Sierra for that case. As it is now I have to do some overkill solutions (create a Linux VM on Parallels to run the script and make Trumpet connect to the VM Linux machine to access the internet from DOSBOX Win 3.11 on macOS). It's really hilarious to be honest.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 19 of 39, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Decided to give it another go. I got an updated dosbox-x binary, which has NE2000 patch, to run on macOS Mojave. No go. Same problem, realnic lists interfaces with no description at all. None of them are usable. I am wondering if its a problem with libpcap? But I thought macOS already comes with libpcap bundled?

JOBS, Steve.