VOGONS

First post, by Muz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, this game can't run in Windows 98 SE, does anyone manage to run it in older Windows versions? PC is IBM NetVista 830542A.

Reply 4 of 6, by Muz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is the specs.

CPU Type: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40 GHz
CPU Speed: 2.40 GHz
System Memory: 1024 MB
Memory Bus Speed: 133 MHz DDR266
Video: Intel(r)845G/845GL/845GE

Reply 5 of 6, by andreja6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So i tried running it on my windows 98 machine, with a Pentium II 400Mhz, and i cant figure out for the life of me why it is that slow. I have managed to run the game in DOS mode however (f8 before startup).

What I think may be happening is that the game is really buggy with the DOS in windows mode, which I see in many games, but because you have such a fast processor, it cannot start by itself in DOS only mode. You could try using something like throttle in DOS mode which should slow your CPU down enough to actually start the game. It worked for me for quite a few titles in the windows environment, and should work better in DOS mode.

Reply 6 of 6, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@Muz : I see that you've been just asking about running DOS games in Windows 98SE. And before a solution has been found, you continue asking about another DOS game in your Windows 98SE setup.

As you might have already realized, Windows 98SE is NOT designed to run DOS games, though it is possible. A P4 machine that you are having is bound to have problems (when coming to what you are trying to do - running DOS games in WIndows 98SE), especially with a PCI based sound card. And I'm not sure what are the hidden problems you will face with the 1GB RAM you are running with.

I'm not sure what is your budget and if you are able to afford a pure DOS based machine, and if you can, I'm not sure if you are able to get the machines/parts easily.

If you really want to just try to run some DOS games, I suggest getting a true DOS machine with ISA slot capability for your DOS gaming.

Otherwise, it would be best to run DOS games in Dosbox, if you have a more modern machine or laptop.

If you still want to just try running (instead of playing) the many DOS games you are trying to run in Windows 98SE and facing problems, you can get better help in those Windows 9x specific forums who try to run Dos games in Win9x.

I understand you finally get the chance to try out some DOS games, but the platform you are using is not helping.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers