VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Sake

User metadata

This may be a problem with WinXP, but since I only notice it with DOSBox, someone of you might have come across it as well.
It seems that no process (i.e. DOSBox) is allowed to use more than 50% of the processor. When I use fewer cycles less CPU is used but at about 13000 it hits 50% and raises no more. The total CPU load is only 58% so there are no other programs that steal calculating power. I already tried to set the process to a higher priority, but that didnt change anything.
My computer is a Pentium IV 2800MHz with 1Gb of Memory.

Anybody anyidea?

Reply 3 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No 50% is the maximum for any single threaded app. Your actually running 100% on a single virtual processor but Windows shows it as 50% because it see's 2 "processors" it's not a DosBox limitation.

You'll probably get better performance disabling hyperthreading and trying DosBox. Dunno since I never got into the Intel Hyperthreading Hype.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 10, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Anonymous wrote:

I see. So 50% is maximum for DOSBox. Too bad.
Thank you very much.

This is nonsense value based on Windows assumption that you have two processors. In 2 processor system you would be using 50%, but in your case you are using 100% (since you have one processor).
Hyperthreading is just a way how to improve multitasking, the added processor is just virtual (you will not get the perfomance of 2 processor system - you still have only one processor).

Mirek

Reply 5 of 10, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would disable HT in bios to see what happens. If you are not satisfied, you can always enable it again. To me, this HT thing seems suspicially bogus. 😈

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 6 of 10, by prompt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Once I had to optimize a raytracer application by using multiple threads and I was quite astonished that HT brought about 15% performance increase (compared to a version without any threading constructs).

Reply 7 of 10, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, that's about all you can expect from HT. The general idea is that a CPU consists of many parts (several integer math units, floating point math, mmx, sse, ...) and a single program/thread usually can't keep all units busy, so they added hardware support for "simultaneous" execution of two threads in order to keep more units of the CPU busy. But they didn't actually add any more CPU units, so if two threads want to do (for example) floating-point math, one of them has to wait, just like without HT. Nice idea, but not worth more than a few percent performance.

Reply 9 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah but is 10-15% performance for certain applications on an Intel Processor with HyperThreading better than just owning an AMD processor? 😉

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline