VOGONS

First post, by anthony

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

this is my long time made project, which always will stay on blueprints. it tooks hundreds of hours to be made, but... voodoo 3 chips are so much expensive, four, five times more compare to vsa100 chips, it's insane. pcb production cost is very high, although i tried to make it as cheap as possible ( only 4 layers instead of 6 originally, 8 mil clearans under bga, 5 mil on the rest of the board).

v3 stb made board schematics was copied and layout was slightly refined. i'm pretty much sure it routed correctly and it should work.

have fun:
v3.jpg

Reply 5 of 34, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
anthony wrote:

yeah, it would be cool. but price will be deluxe

Yeah, finding the parts alone like the core and sdram would be a pain as it is.
And the voodoo3 PCB is no Gus or adlib, we cant just print them off with a laser printer and chemical etch them.
Not only that but we would need a computer controlled SMD soldering machine, that or one would have to solder all those small SMD caps and resisters by hand.

Reply 6 of 34, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow, this is a great work! I can imagine designing this PCB must have taken a ton of time. 😀
And it has DVI, really cool. I think DVI equipped V3 never existed, not even as a prototype. There are some with DFP though. Which raises a question - what is the purpose of the "LCDfx" chip which all V3 with DFP prototypes have soldered? I see your board doesn't include it and TMDS is connected directly to the GPU.

http://www.thedodgegarage.com/3dfx/pro_v3.htm

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 7 of 34, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
havli wrote:

I see your board doesn't include it and TMDS is connected directly to the GPU.

I don't think it is directly connected, but DVI connector is connected to a TMDS encoder chip, and looks like the TMDS encoder has 12-bit parallel video bus going to GPU.

Reply 8 of 34, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
anthony wrote:
lazibayer wrote:

Wow! Impressive work! Now do VSA100 on PCI bus! 😈

Just out of curiosity, how much would you pay for that?

$200-$300 depending on specs.

Reply 9 of 34, by anthony

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

v3 proto dfp out based on propietary 3dfx chip and sil150, on this board ordinary sil164 utilized

$200-$300 depending on specs.

there should be at least 100pcs batch to achieve close to $250 level. agp about $200 tag, i presume

Reply 10 of 34, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

$250 for empty PCB or complete single VSA-100 card? For the whole card I think it is quite reasonable price... considering how much V4 MAC costs.

Is it even possible to design V4 PCB? There aren't any schematics available (that I know of at least 😀 ). Or is the VSA databook enough for it?

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 11 of 34, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Given the cost of some vsa-100 cards one could make a little with the right connections. Say if one made a few 6k's at say 5-10k a card one could make some money. But not for long as the market would flood.

Reply 12 of 34, by Reputator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Reproduction graphics cards would certainly be uncharted territory! It's already a big thing with old school cartridge-based video games (and consoles for that matter) but that market is much, MUCH larger.

At a price of over $200 though, it would be about the same as acquiring the real deal, which has a bit more historical significance.

https://www.youtube.com/c/PixelPipes
Graphics Card Database

Reply 13 of 34, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

that's really impressive;

I've been seeing motherboards made in China with old chipsets, like P45 and X58 boards made recently, it could be interesting to do the same with GPUs certainly, I'm not sure how you go on acquiring the main chip, is it salvaged from defective cards, or some stock of unused ones?
the possibilities already mentioned are very interesting like using faster ram and so on.

another thing, I wonder how far are we from emulating some older PC hardware using FPGAs?

Reply 14 of 34, by anthony

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

$250 for complete board. but on 4 layer pcb, not 6 layer as stb cards. and with more basic power part. production stb v4-v5 cards are real high-class product and very expensive in manufacturing.

i have some voodoos pcb scans with all layers, so it's not a big deal to make a schematik. but routing is real time killer.

almost all 3dfx chips are available so far (in stock).

as mentioned above, no market for hardware replicas, even 100 pcs batch will be hard to sell

Reply 15 of 34, by Captain NA

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No words explain how nice this is, really great work. If you one time want to start a pruduction, then will i help you found it, such PCB's are expensive. But have contact who im pretty sure has some Voodoo3 and VSA 100 chips and memory.
But personally would have liked to see a more crazy board, with a rather large PCB with lot options for custom fan house mounting and extra room for sexy transistors and caps... And what a day if you once started to play around with Voodoo2 or VSA 100 based boards. Have never had a big intrest in Voodoo3 serie.
Nice small compact design, but i'm to the large stuff! 😈
Hers some of the stuff i have laying around:
C1oBx6X.jpg
ABy62MQ.jpg

Just fooling around.

Reply 16 of 34, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow, just wow! A nice, full Mercury brick and a whole bunch of other Quantum3d stuff from the looks of things. What's with the extra long PCI card? Did someone rack a 200sb looking for the whereabouts of a Rampage or something?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 17 of 34, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:

Wow, just wow! A nice, full Mercury brick and a whole bunch of other Quantum3d stuff from the looks of things. What's with the extra long PCI card? Did someone rack a 200sb looking for the whereabouts of a Rampage or something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmCEXbspWuI

Looks like we have the creator of that video here 😀.

Reply 18 of 34, by Reputator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
F2bnp wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmCEXbspWuI

Looks like we have the creator of that video here 😀.

That video is a bit of a legend!

https://www.youtube.com/c/PixelPipes
Graphics Card Database