Common searches

DOSBox-X branch

Topic actions

Reply 1260 of 2397, by Paul Galbraith

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TheGreatCodeholio wrote:

Not that I'm aware. I've been able to bring on some help to make Win32 builds so I can focus on cleanup and other projects.

I used the latest September 2017 win32 build and successfully installed Win 95 retail. Unfortunately I am finding it too slow to do what I want, which is to have a decent way to play Close Combat 1 -- VMWare hosting WinME is the best solution I've found so far, but still not ideal. Nontheless, thanks very much for all your hard work in getting the needed support into dosbox so that we can run Windows 95 with CD images. I'll be following closely, and hopefully one day (maybe I just need a better machine!) this will be great for playing CC1.

Reply 1261 of 2397, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some bugs found in dosbox-x sept.2017 (emucr) build: when running a game, sometimes the monitor shows garbled graphics, it seems like the monitor doesn't fully refresh and it shows pieces of graphics from previous screens, maybe bug is triggered when it switches resolution/graphic mode from dos prompt to a random game? Using OpenGL mode.

In a windows 8.1 x64 pc I have to run dosbox-x several times before to successfully run the thing, most of the times it briefly shows a black window and then it aborts without errors. This problem doesn't affect my other Windows 7 x64 pc.

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"

Reply 1262 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've started releasing Windows binaries again. I still prioritize development on Linux though.

I just finished adding PC-98 emulation and several common games are playable in it.

DOSBox-X project: more emulation better accuracy.
DOSLIB and DOSLIB2: Learn how to tinker and hack hardware and software from DOS.

Reply 1263 of 2397, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheGreatCodeholio wrote:

I've started releasing Windows binaries again.

Nice! Where?

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"

Reply 1264 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

GitHub, of course.

DOSLIB and DOSLIB2: Learn how to tinker and hack hardware and software from DOS.

Reply 1265 of 2397, by AnnaWu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TheGreatCodeholio wrote:

I've started releasing Windows binaries again. I still prioritize development on Linux though.

I just finished adding PC-98 emulation and several common games are playable in it.

Hello TheGreatCodeholio,

the DOSBox-X is very new for me. Please can you tell me something about the PC-98 emulation support?
So far I know I need the Anex86.bmp image and I have to modify the *.conf file (machine=pc98)
Do I need additional PC_98 BIOS ROMs?
Please can you tell me how can I load a *.FDI disk image?
Maybe you can give me an example for the *.conf file?

Thanks in advance!

Anna

Anna's Playground for QMC2
Official MESS Forum

Reply 1266 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

BIOS and DOS calls are directly emulated by DOSBox-X (just as it does for IBM PC). No ROM is needed.

You can obtain ANEX86.BMP from various sites that offer the anex86 emulator.

In the latest build, IMGMOUNT has been updated to support mounting FDD/FDI images directly. Make sure you use -t floppy and that the image filename ends in .fdd or .fdi to help DOSBox-X identify that the image is FDD/FDI format.

Reply 1267 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also understand that, while some games do run so far, many will not. PC-98 emulation is very early and experimental. Many BIOS calls are stubs and not implemented. Booter games are not supported. If you run these games from a folder (mounting a folder) and filenames are in Japanese, your host filesystem will need those filenames in UTF-8 unicode encoding, NOT SHIFT-JIS. DOSBox-X when mounting a folder will translate filenames (meaning convert from unicode to the MS-DOS code page) for the guest.

So far, the emulation is enough to run a handful of games (including Touhou Project and many PC-98 ports of IBM PC games) but don't expect the game to work.

EDIT: On Linux/Mac OS X the filenames will need to be in UTF-8. On Windows, the filenames must be converted to Unicode (wide char) UTF-16 so that they can be represented on the FAT32 or NTFS filesystem properly, which DOSBox-X will convert to the guest code page on file access.

Reply 1269 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are you saying that VGA state is not being saved/restored properly?

http://www.ctyme.com/intr/rb-0222.htm

Reply 1270 of 2397, by AnnaWu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TheGreatCodeholio wrote:

BIOS and DOS calls are directly emulated by DOSBox-X (just as it does for IBM PC). No ROM is needed.

In the latest build, IMGMOUNT has been updated to support mounting FDD/FDI images directly. Make sure you use -t floppy and that the image filename ends in .fdd or .fdi to help DOSBox-X identify that the image is FDD/FDI format.

Thanks for the help, TheGreatCodeholio.
I tried Rude Breaker but unfortunately I have no sound.
Tested on Windows Vista.
If the sound is working please tell me the settings or upload the working *.conf file.

Attachments

• Filename
    DOSBox.conf
    File size
    12.49 KiB
    Downloads
    69 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Rude Breaker.png
    Filename
    Rude Breaker.png
    File size
    59.23 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Official MESS Forum

Reply 1271 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

FM emulation is on by default at the moment. I was not aware Rude Breaker had any sound.

But sound works just fine with Rusty, Edge, Gods, DGA, and Touhou Project here on Linux.

EDIT: All I did for sound was port Neko Project's FM 86-board emulation to DOSBox-X. I did not port the CS4231 emulation. What sound hardware is Rude Breaker expecting to talk to?

Reply 1273 of 2397, by danrevella

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TheGreatCodeholio wrote:

Are you saying that VGA state is not being saved/restored properly?

http://www.ctyme.com/intr/rb-0222.htm

yes, so many cheat utility like game buster and Infinity machine are unable in working...
when you return to the game the screen is black.

Reply 1275 of 2397, by AnnaWu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dear TheGreatCodeholio,

PC-98 Emulation

I think the the *.HDI hard disk file format is not supported. Is it ok if I convert the *.HDI format to the *.IMG raw disk format and run it on the DOSBox-X?

Official MESS Forum

Reply 1276 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AnnaWu wrote:
Thanks for the help, TheGreatCodeholio. I tried Rude Breaker but unfortunately I have no sound. Tested on Windows Vista. If the […]
Show full quote
TheGreatCodeholio wrote:

Thanks for the help, TheGreatCodeholio.
I tried Rude Breaker but unfortunately I have no sound.
Tested on Windows Vista.
If the sound is working please tell me the settings or upload the working *.conf file.

I just look at what I/O ports are being probed on startup.

Rude breaker seems to check I/O ports 0x88-0x8F and 0x288-0x28F for FM synthesis.

DOSBox-X at this time emulates the -86 board and places it at port 0x188.

Even when I moved the FM to port 0x88 Rude Breaker didn't seem to talk to it, so it probably assumes the -26 board or some other type.

Reply 1277 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Great Dragon wrote:

Hey TheGreatCodeholio,

Any chance to see OPL3 and another SoundBlaster fix in your build?
What about FluidSynth support?

What about Sound Blaster? Is there a use case that needs to be fixed?

FluidSynth support is already there. It was inherited either from Ykhwong's branch or the main project (don't recall exactly). It still works and it sounds great on my Linux system given the most recent sound font file available.

Last edited by TheGreatCodeholio on 2017-12-11, 18:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1278 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AnnaWu wrote:

Dear TheGreatCodeholio,

PC-98 Emulation

I think the the *.HDI hard disk file format is not supported. Is it ok if I convert the *.HDI format to the *.IMG raw disk format and run it on the DOSBox-X?

You can. However for PC-98 there's more than just going through the MBR. NEC PC-98 DOS seems to define only one partition then subdivide by it's own proprietary bootloader's partition list.

Given the weekend to do it, I was able to add FDD and FDI support, but didn't get around to HDI yet.

To support mounting HDI as a filesystem the code would have to identify that it's HDI. To mount the filesystem, it would have to identify NEC's bootloader/bootmenu, and then read the proprietary IPL table to locate the actual MS-DOS filesystem. The only reference I have to the IPL table is some bit of source code in GNU parted.

Considering the number of games I've found distributed as HDI images I definitely want to support mounting them as a hard drive in order to play those games.