VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi there!

Because of the lack of time, space and money I'm planning to sell some(!) of my retro gear. Am I allowed to advertise my ebay auctions or whatever-listings here?
Basically one thread where I'll be posting links to where and what I'm selling...

I understand that Vogons is no marketplace, however the business would happen completely outside of Vogons and surely enough, we have many people here, looking for retro stuff...

And I guess I have some interesting things to sell.

Reply 1 of 7, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Nope. Try amibay (it sucks), vintage computer forms. Or any other site with a classified adds spot.

I have however seen alot of people pit their amibay forsale/wanted posts in their sig. But Id think ebay is a different thing. Even given things away is seen as a taboo here.

Reply 2 of 7, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I know it's tempting to do business here, looking at the prospects of potential buyers and the target market here.

But it has always been a policy not to allow any sort of trading here. I think Qbix (Admin) has brought it up many times, and as such, we should maintain it that way.

EBay is still the best place for selling (unless people are worried about the commission from the sales there).

Advertising one's own eBay listing here looks like, forgive me, prospecting.

Otherwise using PM and using signature and letting know to contact by PM in the signature will be more appropriate.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 5 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I *think* adding to liability issues, it's nice to see Vogons to remain a discussion forum rather than people posting their stuff for sale.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 7, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Dominus wrote:

I *think* adding to liability issues, it's nice to see Vogons to remain a discussion forum rather than people posting their stuff for sale.

I agree strongly. Adding a market place just tends to make things messy. Its attracts scammers and spammers, can make for some rather heated fights between user and so on.

It would be nice if you had a dedicated giveaway spot. You know where users can give away stuff that have laying around at no cost to the receiver. But even that can go down hill fast and probably be avoided.

Reply 7 of 7, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

that's sad. I understand that allowing sale threads would spam that forum.
but what about ONE thread where everyone could post his/her links to personal ebay auctions or craigslist or whatever? that shouldn't mess up the board and the selling would happen outside the forum so no legal issues for the board operators here.

I mean it is really a tragedy that so much people here have so much wonderful hardware which 1) would end up in some gold recycler's hands or won't sell at all and end in the dumpster eventually.
ebay is just overloaded, flooded and freakin expensive. but it is the only international platform I know. personally, I don't ever look for retro hardware there, also because of scam. I mean, I really hate ebay. it has such a great potential and they are simply too stupid to make a great platform out of it. just look at parts of the website where the pages look like if they're from the 90ies (I guess they ARE from the 90ies).
amibay is not mainly for PC hardware and also I'm not actively participating there

this community is just great and I'd love to make some fellas happy with my hardware.

however, I guess this isn't gonna happen...