Reply 20220 of 52358, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dexvx wrote:
I saw this distinctly Intel design. Probably an i740. […]
Show full quote

I saw this distinctly Intel design. Probably an i740.

LlqcHmvl.jpg

I love the look of this card!

1982 to 2001

Reply 20221 of 52358, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dexvx wrote:
I saw this distinctly Intel design. Probably an i740. […]
Show full quote

I saw this distinctly Intel design. Probably an i740.

LlqcHmvl.jpg

For sure i740 - have one....Seems to be genuine intel version, but with only 4MB of memory. Looks like many collectors searching it, because almost all cards had 8MB of memory....

http://vgamuseum.info/index.php/cards/item/195-intel-740

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 20222 of 52358, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yesterday I received an Akai S2000 sampler, including extra memory, the optional output board, manual, and all original software.

It won't do General MIDI, but can play SMF files (and do a LOT more). It also has a very characteristic sound you can't get with sampling on a PC. 😎

s-l400.jpg
Filename
s-l400.jpg
File size
16.31 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 20223 of 52358, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today I bought a few retro-computing goodies at the thrift store.

IMG_1668.JPG
Filename
IMG_1668.JPG
File size
1.72 MiB
Views
File license

What do we have here?
- A 3-button Serial mouse - Bought this just in case I needed another Serial mouse since I had trouble getting my 2-button mouse to work on my P1 rig, so now I have another mouse to try.

- 5-pack of NOS Maxell 650MB (74min) CD-Rs (price not pictured - $2.99) - You won't find blank 650MB discs out in the while anymore since they're mostly 700MB nowadays, so I thought this was a neat rare find.

- Sony external USB 3.5" floppy drive - I bought this specifically as a spare laptop floppy drive since I happen to have a Dell C-series floppy module that's dead, and I already have a couple USB floppy drives (including another one of these Sony drives) so I don't mind looking inside this one to see if it really is just a laptop drive behind a USB controller board.

EDIT - Regarding the Sony floppy drive: I just looked inside it and it turns out to be a real USB floppy drive with an integrated USB controller, too bad I can't use that to fix dead laptop drives but at least I have a spare USB floppy drive just in case my other ones die.

Last edited by KCompRoom2000 on 2017-11-20, 06:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 20224 of 52358, by xeon3d

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
kanecvr wrote:
Mine is missing the metal shroud. […]
Show full quote

Mine is missing the metal shroud.

JBxlrq3h.jpg

Here's a pic of the card w/o it's cooler:

nO1flT7h.jpg

It seems to work in any gigabyte nforce 4 SLi motherboard.

Is it actually limited to gigabyte boards or is it the SLI chipset that's important ?

They work in any motherboard as a single 6600gt (i think, i've put up a video of it working on a bus based motherboard). The nforce4 sli requirement is to wake up the other core.

I might actually sell this one. According to the seller of another one in eBay only 1000 of them were made, and I've now only seen 3 of them.

I also think that since almost everyone thinks they only work with the specific motherboard it came bundled with, either most of them got junked if the motherboard died, adding to its rarity.

Reply 20225 of 52358, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What's the best to way to upgrade, downgrade or turn a computer into a x86 machine, as long as it has 2 free PCI ports?
This thing, which I just bought:

assist pc card.jpg
Filename
assist pc card.jpg
File size
146.66 KiB
Views
File license

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 20226 of 52358, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
kanecvr wrote:

Mine is missing the metal shroud.

*snip*

It seems to work in any gigabyte nforce 4 SLi motherboard.

Is it actually limited to gigabyte boards or is it the SLI chipset that's important ?

It will work on any motherboard but only one GPU is detected. It will work in SLi mode (both GPUs detected) on any gigabyte nforce 4 motherboard. I haven't tried it on an nforce 4 made by another company, it should work.

Theoretically the only requirement is an nforce 4 chipset.

Reply 20227 of 52358, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
lolo799 wrote:

What's the best to way to upgrade, downgrade or turn a computer into a x86 machine, as long as it has 2 free PCI ports?

assist pc card.jpg

Heyyyyy, I could make a decent PC out of my Pentium 60 box.... 😉

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 20228 of 52358, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote:

Heyyyyy, I could make a decent PC out of my Pentium 60 box.... 😉

What you'll really get is a second computer with a Socket 370 CPU up to 800MHz inside that Pentium 60 box, needing a second set of keyboard/mouse/monitor, or a kvm switch.
The specs:

assist cardpc specs.gif
Filename
assist cardpc specs.gif
File size
13.12 KiB
Views
File license

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 20229 of 52358, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lolo799 wrote:

assist pc card.jpg

*audible gasp*

I suddenly want one! and it looks complete!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 20230 of 52358, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just got a 486 motherboard with a Weitek socket. First one I've seen. Now (or when it arrives from my drop shipper) I can test my 4167 (the chip cost more than the board).

80486-4167.jpg

EDIT: What is that double ISA slot at the bottom?

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 20231 of 52358, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
debs3759 wrote:

Just got a 486 motherboard with a Weitek socket. First one I've seen. Now (or when it arrives from my drop shipper) I can test my 4167 (the chip cost more than the board).

<snip>

Cool. I hope the acid damage is okay. Get rid of that battery ASAP!

I have seen a reference to that extra 'ISA' slot, but I cant seem to find it any more...

1982 to 2001

Reply 20232 of 52358, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyrix200+ wrote:
debs3759 wrote:

<snip>

Cool. I hope the acid damage is okay. Get rid of that battery ASAP!

I have seen a reference to that extra 'ISA' slot, but I cant seem to find it any more...

My drop shipper will remove the battery for me (it'll be in a box at his place for at least 6 months). It looks like most of the leakage and corrosion has been cleaned off.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 20233 of 52358, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Might be for a RAM expansion board.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 20234 of 52358, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
luckybob wrote:
lolo799 wrote:

assist pc card.jpg

*audible gasp*

Same here.
Hows it work?

Reply 20236 of 52358, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:
lolo799 wrote:

assist pc card.jpg

*audible gasp*

Same here, that actually reminds me of those OrangePC compatibility cards that allowed Macintoshes to run Windows/DOS natively. I wonder if that Assist Card PC set could be used for the same purpose. 😎

Reply 20237 of 52358, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
debs3759 wrote:

<snip>

My drop shipper will remove the battery for me (it'll be in a box at his place for at least 6 months). It looks like most of the leakage and corrosion has been cleaned off.

It doesn't look too bad indeed. Good thing your drop shipper can remove it for you!

1982 to 2001

Reply 20238 of 52358, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lolo799 wrote:

assist pc card.jpg

That is so stupid! I love it! 🤣

Does the example onb the manual have a motherboard with both S370 and Slot1? That would make 3 CPU sockets in a PC 🤣

1982 to 2001

Reply 20239 of 52358, by andrewreader

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ebay:
386:
386.png
Dot Matrix Printer:
printer.png

If all is well, hopefully I collect on Sunday.

Tongue In Cheek Rant:
I was meant to stop buying old hardware when I put together a PC that could run old DOS games. Then I was meant to stop when I put together a machine that could run old Windows 98 games. Then XP games. Then when I found a replica of my old Dell P90. Then when I found a 486 for sale. And then when the 486 didn't quite work properly, I got a Winchip 180 and motherboard on standby. And then a more complete 486 motherboard. And now this.. 😢 😊 🤣