VOGONS

First post, by andreja6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know this card has a universal slot type
In case anyone wants one, they are really cheap: never mind it was an ebay scam
s-l1600.jpg
But i know some of them which should not be are also. Will this work in a 2x slot?

Last edited by andreja6 on 2017-11-26, 18:24. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 9, by Dirk Daring

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The fact that the card is keyed for both 3.3V and 1.5V assumes that it *should* work with either or possibly that it needs both.... at the very least though, it won't harm the card, if the card's not going to work, it would probably be because it's not getting enough power, though, if it fits....it will most likely work.
Also being a 4X card means that is *should* work on 2X mothorboards as well.... as AGP was built with backwards compatibility in mind.
I for instance run an ATI Radeon 9600 XT which is an AGP 8X card just fine on an AGP 4x mobo.
I should also mention that I'm running a Matrox G400 which is keyed identically to your FX 5500 with both 1.5V and 3.3V slots in an older AGP 2X mobo that only has a 3.3V slot.
Cards that cannot operate on 3.3V will not be keyed for it(as my Radeon 9600 XT is not, it NEEDS a 1.5V slot)
I think you'll be fine.... as I said.... if it fits, it should work, the keying is there for a reason.

Reply 3 of 9, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dirk Daring wrote:
The fact that the card is keyed for both 3.3V and 1.5V assumes that it *should* work with either or possibly that it needs both. […]
Show full quote

The fact that the card is keyed for both 3.3V and 1.5V assumes that it *should* work with either or possibly that it needs both.... at the very least though, it won't harm the card, if the card's not going to work, it would probably be because it's not getting enough power, though, if it fits....it will most likely work.
Also being a 4X card means that is *should* work on 2X mothorboards as well.... as AGP was built with backwards compatibility in mind.
I for instance run an ATI Radeon 9600 XT which is an AGP 8X card just fine on an AGP 4x mobo.
I should also mention that I'm running a Matrox G400 which is keyed identically to your FX 5500 with both 1.5V and 3.3V slots in an older AGP 2X mobo that only has a 3.3V slot.
Cards that cannot operate on 3.3V will not be keyed for it(as my Radeon 9600 XT is not, it NEEDS a 1.5V slot)
I think you'll be fine.... as I said.... if it fits, it should work, the keying is there for a reason.

never rely on the keying alone, research both motherboard and GPU. I recently killed a motherboard with "universal" AGP and SIS 645 chipset because they did not implement the 3.3V signalling. Instead of listing that under the board features, it was only mentioned in the manual under "installing agp cards", which nobody ever reads. Also there are older 3.3V only cards with universal keying (some geforce 256/2, some TNT2 and ALL SIS 300 series). Always fun to come across one of those. I hate manufacturers who see standards merely as guidelines.

In this particular case however, there should be no issue as the FX series should have proper AGP universal support (0.8, 1.5 and 3.3V signalling)

Reply 4 of 9, by Dirk Daring

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Koltoroc wrote:
Dirk Daring wrote:
The fact that the card is keyed for both 3.3V and 1.5V assumes that it *should* work with either or possibly that it needs both. […]
Show full quote

never rely on the keying alone, research both motherboard and GPU. I recently killed a motherboard with "universal" AGP and SIS 645 chipset because they did not implement the 3.3V signalling. Instead of listing that under the board features, it was only mentioned in the manual under "installing agp cards", which nobody ever reads. Also there are older 3.3V only cards with universal keying (some geforce 256/2, some TNT2 and ALL SIS 300 series). Always fun to come across one of those. I hate manufacturers who see standards merely as guidelines.

In this particular case however, there should be no issue as the FX series should have proper AGP universal support (0.8, 1.5 and 3.3V signalling)

Ugggg.... bet that made you want to punch some fool 🤣.... yeah manufacturers deviating from standards without bothering to implement some type of safeguard to prevent damage IMO should be criminal.
Really lousy part is, with this old hardware, you very rarely get any manuals, and with the really obscure stuff, even online manuals can sometimes be nearly impossible to find.

Reply 5 of 9, by Dani-01

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It should work in a 2X slot, the compatibility is there in theory. However, FX cards can also cause PS/2 devices to stop working on older boards. Had it happen to me with an FX5500 in an old VIA P3 board and some forums showed the same issue. Nothing permanent, so no need to worry, but it could cause some frustration if you don't have a spare USB port for a keyboard or mouse. 🤣

Reply 6 of 9, by andreja6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dani-01 wrote:

It should work in a 2X slot, the compatibility is there in theory. However, FX cards can also cause PS/2 devices to stop working on older boards. Had it happen to me with an FX5500 in an old VIA P3 board and some forums showed the same issue. Nothing permanent, so no need to worry, but it could cause some frustration if you don't have a spare USB port for a keyboard or mouse. 🤣

Since my PS/2 ports already died, I'm not worried about that hah. All i'm worried about now is I don't want it to fry my AB-BH6, and if it is compatible, perfect!

Reply 8 of 9, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just love those new Chinese knockoff "FX5500" cards.

I bet it actually has an FX5200 chip under that heatsink and they have just clocked it up to FX5500 speeds via the BIOS. Not a huge deal as the clock speeds were the only difference between the FX5200 and the FX5500.

I have a PCI "FX5500" I bought a while back that has an FX5200 chip.

For $4.99 shipped I guess it isn't a bad deal though.

If it was me selling them, I wouldn't even bother at that price as the take home after eBay and Paypal fees and shipping is going to be about 50-75 cents per card if they got them for FREE. 1st class USPS shipping is going to be about $3.60 or so. And then eBay and paypal fees together are another 58 cents per card.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK