VOGONS

First post, by andreja6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I'm trying to play some DVD's on my old windows 98 machine, but the pentium II at 400Mhz isnt that great with DVD video. I want to know if anyone has any good choices for software that uses Hardware MP2 decoding, Rather than software?

My PC has 640MB of ram, Pentium II-400, and a VooDoo3

Reply 1 of 8, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm no expert, but on doing a quick bout of research, it looks like there were different players put out by different manufacturers. NVidia had their PureVideo player that used the hardware chip on their early GeForce cards. Windows Media Player was supposed to have support, but there's not a lot of quick/easy info. Google popped this link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3063 … -player-for-win during my search. InterVideo WinDVD is a name I have seen, but it was a long time ago, like early Windows XP days. Cyberlink PowerDVD is software I still use today on my modern systems (I am now on PowerDVD 15 - meaning 2015).

Since WinDVD hits such a memory in my head, I pulled this. I have no idea if any of the links are valid, but you could try.
http://dvdsoft.narod.ru/windvd.html

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 2 of 8, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You might want to search this board on this topic since threads on hardware and/or software DVD decoders pop up from time to time:

DVD playback for my Pentium MMX 233 custom?
Reccommend me DVD playing software for Windows 95

Reply 3 of 8, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
andreja6 wrote:

So I'm trying to play some DVD's on my old windows 98 machine, but the pentium II at 400Mhz isnt that great with DVD video. I want to know if anyone has any good choices for software that uses Hardware MP2 decoding, Rather than software?

My PC has 640MB of ram, Pentium II-400, and a VooDoo3

Your PC should be more than powerful enough for DVD playback...except maybe for the video card. Does it provide for MPEG-2 hardware decoding?

If so, try finding a copy of PowerDVD 5.0 (works fine for DVD playback on my P2-266 with half your RAM and a measly Asus TNT2 M64 🤣 ).

Reply 4 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, back in in the early 2000s I used PowerDVD XP (v4 ?).
Later, I upgraded to PowerDVD 6 Deluxe. It supported Audio-DVDs and more SIMD instructions (SSE/3DNow!),
but was still compatible to Win98SE/Me. Hardware-assisted acceleration was also selectable,
if the GPU/Windows drivers allowed for it. I used an S3 Chrome for that, which had a nice hardware-decoder.

PowerDVD 7 added support for Vista (v6 relied on DDraw, but got an update ?) and got an OEM release that supported HD-DVD.
An update added Bluray-supoort, I believe. PowerDVD v8 dropped support for HD-DVD again.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 8, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There was a DVD software called Software Cinemaster 99 that was excellent on these old 9x machines. Various companies rebranded it to include with their cards. It's hard to find though. I think it gives better quality and performance results than the popular PowerDVD or WinDVD recommendation.

info
http://www.pennskog.com/cinemaster/software.htm

Also, KLite Codec Pack 3.45 works on Windows 98 and includes the PowerDVD MPEG2 decoder. This requires DXVA support for acceleration. Older chips do not necessarily support DXVA for their MPEG2 acceleration interface.

Jade Falcon wrote:

That voodoo 3 can do hardware DVD, MPEG-1 andMPEG-2, playback if i recall.

No it only supports some basic video features. Colorspace conversion and scaling.

The best old MPEG2 cards are ATI Rage 128 or later. SiS 6326. GeForce 4 and later. Maybe others I can't think of offhand. These process iDCT and motion compensation, reducing CPU usage dramatically.

Reply 8 of 8, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DVD accelerators compared

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool