VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

Hello Paul,

I see that everybody's busy discussing gaming hardware in the RB3D thread, so I figured that I might start a new thread to discuss a certain issue I have with the GlidoOS wrapper, version 0.06b12.

The wrapper works fine except for the text. When text is displayed - e.g. chat and status messages - then FPS drop faster than the DOW on a Friday afternoon. When there's several text messages on screen, I experience up to 75% loss of FPS. Text messages are abundant in a furball situation - any furball, even when you are not involved, and any RB3D player here can tell you that furballs have some sort of a magnetic atrtaction... 😉. I think you might want to look into the way text is handled in the Glide wrapper. I think there is room for improvement. 😀

Oh yes, my system specs. Windows XP, GForce 2 GTS with 32 MB RAM running Detonator 3.0.8.2 driver, Athlon 1.4 GHz processor, 512 MB RAM. Anything else you need to know?

MD.

Reply 1 of 10, by GoldFinger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey Unregistered,
Can you vote on the thread on Video boards? and post your OpenGL info containded on OpenGLid.log file there?
I am doing this research so we can improve OpenGLide.
We will be improving it to solve such issues.

Reply 2 of 10, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The text is done with direct frame buffer access, which is impossible under OpenGL. It is slow because the wrapper is doing the impossible. Actually, for doing the impossible maybe it is quite fast really.

I think the speed can be doubled fairly easily.

Reply 3 of 10, by Unregistered

User metadata

Hi

I get the same problem with my RB3D, the Graphics are very good ! but without chat messages 🙁

When about 3 messages arrive on the screen in multiplayer, there is a VERY BIG slowdown. This is quite a big problem for RB3D, as 90% of people play RB3D on Multiplayer insted of offline play

If this problem could be sorted, Glide on RB3D would be perfect 😀

Mike

Reply 4 of 10, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is very difficult to improve. I think Fabio said that it might be done more efficiently in Direct3D, but swapping from OpenGL to Direct3D is an enormous job, so that isn't going to happen soon.

I think I have a way to double the speed, which would help a bit.

Your best bet may be to configure the lines of chat to a smaller number. Also, if you can bear running at a lower resolution that helps. Also, the speed of this particular feature is affected by your CPU and memory speeds rather than your graphics card.

Reply 6 of 10, by Hentzau

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When you're sitting on the runway in RB3D MMP you can "right click" on your screen and then get into the menu to reduce the amount of chat shown on your screen at one time - for those that didn't know. There are two sliders to play around with and find what works best for you.

Reply 8 of 10, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

Curiously, about Direct3D, would there be a way to JUST use SOME commands from D3D, or do the two APIs just not mix at all?

I've always assumed you cannot mix them, but I guess I don't know for certain.

Reply 10 of 10, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Glidos wrote:

I've always assumed you cannot mix them, but I guess I don't know for certain.

http://mrpowers.com/Projects/Player/

About the only thing I've ever heard on it.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto