VOGONS

Holy Crap!!!

Topic actions

First post, by trebor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow! Hats off to all the developers. I just tried the 7-30-2005 CVS Build of DOSBox. Besides the complete compatibility with previous CONF files, which made testing games a breeze, the following are some outstanding notations:

-Thexder is perfect in Tandy mode! Thank you to all who looked, investigated, and finally fixed this issue.

-Hand-in-Hand with the above - Defender of the Crown in Tandy mode is also perfect as a mounted image.

-Neverending Story Part II in VGA mode finally works! Always when first starting, it would ask what graphics mode. After you would select 'VGA', it would state no VGA card found/present. Thank you for fixing this!

-Operation Carnage doesn't freeze anymore. This game always would freeze right at the keyboard layout screen. Now plays beautifully.

-Cosmetically, the addition of HQ2X scaler is fantastic. Tried it on several titles and love the "enhancement" it makes. It is really a great render to remove blockiness on games that were meant to be seen on older VGA/EGA/Tandy/Composite/Whatever monitors. IMHO, it achives the sharpness we expect on a modern monitor, while still retaining a very similar look to how the game was first viewed on older monitors.
-Composite mode still works and looks great for those older titles that only had CGA and Composite support. Set machine=CGA in the conf and try Atarisoft Ms. Pac-Man or Mattel's Burger-Time. Make sure for each game you select 'Composite' instead of 'RGB' in the Options.

Everything just looks and works great! I can finally use one version of DOSBox to cover everything. Thanks again guys!

-Trebor

Reply 2 of 21, by trebor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's the one with "experimental patches". The thread you started/pinned here:
CVS Builds By AEP

Containing this link:
A cvs compile with experimental patches:
http://ykhwong.x-y.net/page.htm

I am *very* happy I did. I do have another link, for what I believe is more of a standard/basic compile here:
http://cvscompile.aep-emu.de/dosbox.htm

But, I am not very good with compiling my own build from source, and the one compiled at that site has not been updated since July 3. I believe the Tandy fixes were submitted ~July 11. I was really just looking for the Tandy issue to be fixed without "breaking" anything else.

What I was surprised to find is everything I sited before. Tandy mode fix, and every game that wasn't working before (IE Operation Carnage, Neverending Story II) working beautifully now as well. Additionally, although a little slow and processor intensive (As it always is), the HQ2X filter was a nice bonus too (I presuming that render is one of the 'experimental' parts). Nonetheless, everything is rock solid and my "old" conf files work perfectly. AFAIK, the aforementioned release (7-30-05 "Experimental" CVS - ha!) might as well be called DOSBox 0.64. It's fantastic.

-Trebor

Reply 3 of 21, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I was wondering as some of the experimental patches deal with the (s)vga graprhics and the keyboard.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 5 of 21, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

that one of vasyl implements a few vga graphics fixes as well as far as I knows.
Didn't look that much at it. (Harekiets area)

Reply 6 of 21, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My patch should not affect properly written VGA games but DOS games often had a lot of odd hardware-level hacks. As I pointed awhile ago, the way how CRTC was handled in 0.63 there was risk that some game may find Trident hardware there. After that game programmer could get fancy and try some Trident-specific tricks, even in basic VGA modes (on the register level Trident 8800 handled 320x200x256 as 640x200x16, that was fixed in later versions). I am not saying that it is what was breaking those games but it was one of the possibilities.
Another patch that could greatly improve compatibility of VGA games is ih8regs's CRTC patch which I integrated into mine at some point.
Well, if all patches in ykhwong's build make it we will have very solid 0.64, that's for sure. It may be a good idea to add a link to ykhwong's site on the main DOSBox page to add exposure. Would be a good community testing.

Reply 7 of 21, by Serious Callers Only

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've found that Ultima 8 in ykhwong's build doesn't let me choose the avatar name. Dunno, can be a configuration problem, but i'd like someone to double check it.

Reply 10 of 21, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I meant that I just modified a line in keyboard.cpp
to fix that game (Ultima 8 ) .

//           if (s->mode & KBD_MODE_MOUSE_INT)
// irq12_level = 1;
// } else {
if ((s->mode & KBD_MODE_KBD_INT) &&
!(s->mode & KBD_MODE_DISABLE_KBD))
-// irq1_level = 1;
+ irq1_level = 1;
PIC_ActivateIRQ(1);

Ah, would you check this thread, please?
Topic 9576

Reply 11 of 21, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

hmm that looks like the qemu keyboard handler. I haven't got any plans on adding that.
My intention is to add keyboardv2.diff

Reply 13 of 21, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

hmm didn't know that. I only browsed the diff didn't try it yet to see how it behaved.

Reply 15 of 21, by Serious Callers Only

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Another thing, with the usual caveats that it might be a configuration problem, the colors of the game floor13
on
http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=419

Are off. Instead of greyscale like in the screenshoot, the pallete seems to have aquired other colors.

Also smart update screws with the videos and curson in MOO2, but then, that i'd guess is to be expected.