VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If I were to ditch my AGP Voodoo 3 3000 and go for a GeForce 2 GTS + Voodoo 2 SLI, would I be losing out on anything?

P3 700 256MB RAM Win98SE system by the way.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 4, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Image quality for one. The Voodoo 2 SLI is also slightly slower in average performance compared to a Voodoo3, plus you'd be introducing some stuttering issues due to how the cards work with their VRAM. Depending on how picky you are, this could be annoying or something that goes completely unnoticed.

The GeForce 2 would certainly help a lot with newer games on the other hand, so it is worth a try.

Reply 2 of 4, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You also gain "cool points" for having SLI, apart from that F2bnp has summed up the pros and cons up really well.

Reply 3 of 4, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Geforce2's image quality isn't too great compared to the Voodoo3 either. Again, this is not about 3dFx VooDoo Grafik Superiority but about their VGA output (and this is disregarding V3's filter)

Also this depends on the games you're planning to play. A Geforce2 with your specs would mean for readying it up fo rGiants, Tribes 2, JK2, NOLF2, BF1942, Max Payne, etc. V3 on the other hand is a bit more bulletproof for videogames released during 3dfx's lifetime compatibility-wise and older games then that used paletted textures would look uglier on the GF2 for old legacy RGBA4444/RGB565 fallbacks made for early non-3dfx cards.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 4, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My gf2 ti outputs vga just fine, certainly at lower resolutions which is all I use. There's a vga capture video somewhere on my channel with that vs. the v3 (saw extra traffic on it lately prior to this thread, probably related - yeah, even +30 views is a massive spike in the graphs). I replaced the gf2's bigger caps, but can't say what influence that had on iq.