VOGONS

First post, by Roman78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't know if this is the right place. But i'm playing a bit whit some older thin clients for some retro stuff. Among my thin clients is an HP GT7720, featuring an AMD X2 Turion ZM-84. Installed is windows XP and on another hard disk i tired Windows 7. And than i noticed the higher power consumption on Windows XP. The thing is to use less power, so i monitor the hardware and noticed an Idle Consumption on Windows 7 from about 27 Watt and on XP of 44 Watt. So i wondered and found the reason. Monitoring the Hardware whit HWinfo on W7 i noticed the CPU speed jumping up an down. From 575 Mhz to 2300 Mhz. And on Windows XP it stays at 2300 Mhz.

And after some untalented Google Skills i found out i need the Cool'n'Quiet driver. But I'm unable to find it. Only found Linux drivers, but not for XP.

Reply 1 of 7, by Tiger433

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found it under that link:

http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/Other-DRIVER … 320-Rev-G.shtml

W7 "retro" PC: ASUS P8H77-V, Intel i3 3240, 8 GB DDR3 1333, HD6850, 2 x 500 GB HDD
Retro 98SE PC: MSI MS-6511, AMD Athlon XP 2000+, 512 MB RAM, ATI Rage 128, 80GB HDD
My Youtube channel

Reply 3 of 7, by Roman78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Look fishy indeed and compatible whit:

Windows 9X / ME / NT / 2K / XP / 2003 / Vista / XP 64 bit / 2008 / Vista 64 bit / 7 / 7 64 bit / 8 / 8 64 bit / Android / Server 2012 / OS Independent / 8.1 / 8.1 64 bit / 10 / 10 64 bit / Linux / Mac / All / Unix

yeah right...

But i'll give it a try.

Reply 4 of 7, by Tiger433

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just downloaded that driver from there, and it worked with my machine with Athlon X2 4000+ at XP SP3, I also haved that problem but now I see cpu frequency at 1 GHz instead of 2.1. It not a good site I know but it hard to find and previously I found driver only to use for ASUS mainboard and it refused to install at my rig because I have Gigabyte mainboard. After install is good to set at power configuration at minimal.

W7 "retro" PC: ASUS P8H77-V, Intel i3 3240, 8 GB DDR3 1333, HD6850, 2 x 500 GB HDD
Retro 98SE PC: MSI MS-6511, AMD Athlon XP 2000+, 512 MB RAM, ATI Rage 128, 80GB HDD
My Youtube channel

Reply 6 of 7, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As an alternative to a driver, CrystalCPUID supports K8 CPUs. You have to configure the voltage/multiplier settings manually at first, but then you can set "multiplier management" and it will automatically slow down the CPU when idle and speed it up when busy.

Reply 7 of 7, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

RMclock can also be an alternative:
http://cpu.rightmark.org/products/rmclock.shtml
The biggest advantage of it can be it can 'undervolting' your CPU so at the same frequencies it consumes less power than with the official Cool'n'Quiet driver. Usually the official driver is overly pessimistic about what voltage level is required for a given performance state.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper