VOGONS

First post, by Jen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to run the CD-ROM of Gabriel Knight 1 in DOSBox, although this may be more a matter of getting the CD to run in the first place as opposed to anything yet game specific. I have typed in every command suggested in the intro cdrom section of DOSBox. The command "mount d D:\ -t cdrom" gives me the response "MSCDEX installed. Drive D is mounted as CDRom." I assume then that it works but nothing happens after that. Is there something I am supposed to do afterwards?

Thanks,
Jen

Reply 1 of 19, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You must start the installer on CD (from the command line). There is no "autorun" in DOSBOX as in Windows.

Switch to the CD:
D:
and start SETUP.EXE/INSTALL.EXE/whatever (I do not have the game).

Mirek

Reply 2 of 19, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just to let you know, Endroz has fixed the bugs with GK1. If you are playing on a Windows machine, you can play it without DOSBox. His new installer can be found here:

https://gkpatches.vogons.org/

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 4 of 19, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ahem..well. Being a sierra fan I recommend against playing the windows versions of SCI games....they are terrible...buggy and have midi music (which isn't acceptable for sierra fans such as myself)

You have to run the dos install (which can be done via windows) and then make sure the cdrom is mounted when you run the game from its c:\sierra\gk1dos directory (assuming thats where you install it)

I truly recommend getting the dos version running because the windows versions are terrible.

Reply 6 of 19, by othin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yep this new installer makes it all work for me. for example i couldn't have it play in full screen and had regular crashes because of sound problems. once i installed the cd windows version with the new installer i could play it full screen with voice and no bugs at all. you should try it.. it makes many actual games look crappy :)

Reply 7 of 19, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm a purist for sierra games though... 😮 I cannot play them with midi sound and the windows interface bothers me. I much prefer the dos version...which seems to work just fine in dosbox ( i played from start to finish)

Reply 8 of 19, by othin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

never heared of any old sierra games without midi except for the pc-speaker music ones. unless i was really unaware of high quality music files on my games original copies on floppies.. i don't see much difference between GB dos and windows version, it's exactly the same version to me..

Reply 9 of 19, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can't tell the difference between adlib dos music and general midi windows music? 😮 I know I can! I refuse to play my games with midi music and always opt for the nostalgic adlib style.

Reply 12 of 19, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What do you mean you can't play them with MIDI sound? Almost all of the DOS-based Sierra games supported either MT-32 or General MIDI as their highest-quality music output. Sierra games are probably half of the reason I bought my own MT-32 and Sound Canvas synths!

Adlib/Soundblaster music is crap compared to a good MIDI synth (software or hardware).

Reply 13 of 19, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not referring to MT-32 because that would probably sound good (I wouldn't know since I don't have the rom) however general midi on modern cards sounds terrible in some games...I have an Audigy 2 ZS and I wouldn't set a game on general midi unless I had to. Certain sound effects still attempt to use the adlib and when they come out of a general midi setup it uses instraments in place of "sound effects".

MT32 without a doubt is better, but not general midi......

Reply 14 of 19, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Crap, I just finished making MT-32 and Adlib recordings of Space Quest 3 and Secret of Monkey Island... Now I'll have to make some Sound Canvas recordings of Dune 2 instead :p

Reply 15 of 19, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Okay, Dune 2 didn't work out because I wanted to record the end credits song but didn't have a save near the end of the game. Instead, I present the opening story music from The Elder Scrolls: Arena (grandfather of Morrowind).

Attachments

• Filename
    arena_adlib.mp3
    File size
    654.73 KiB
    Downloads
    321 downloads
    File comment
    First, OPL/Adlib/SB (Soundblaster Pro emulation in latest DOSBox CVS)
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    arena_sc88.mp3
    File size
    1.22 MiB
    Downloads
    325 downloads
    File comment
    Next, here's the same song recorded from my Roland SC-88 (Sound Canvas)
    File license

Reply 16 of 19, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I like the sound canvas! I tried it in Ultima 8 and it sounds excellent! (Though there is no option for most games 😢 )

My only arguement is against "General Midi" which is basically what you hear when you play a .mid file in windows. Play space quest 3 with general midi and watch the intro. It bothers me greatly to hear a piano being tortured!

Reply 17 of 19, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Heres an example of what I can't stand in general mid:

(those trumpet like things really bother me...)

Attachments

• Filename
    Wave1.mp3
    File size
    536.73 KiB
    Downloads
    332 downloads
    File license

Reply 18 of 19, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Space Quest 3 doesn't support General MIDI, unless you're listening to a remix from Quest Studios or something...

About the trumpets: I guess I'm not sure what bothers you, except that the style in which the trumpet notes are being played doesn't sound very realistic. I'm not sure how it would be better from an OPL chip, except that everything tends to sound more flat.

I should mention that I'm not trying to argue, although I've become a bit of a MT-32/Sound Canvas zealot. There are a lot of games whose OPL music I really like. Looking at games currently on my hard drive, Firehawk, Zeliard, Dune 2, The Two Towers, Hyperspeed, Doom, Prince of Persia, Solar Winds, and most Sierra games stand out as having great OPL tracks. However, most of them sound better on an MT-32 or Sound Canvas 😀

Reply 19 of 19, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HunterZ wrote:

Space Quest 3 doesn't support General MIDI, unless you're listening to a remix from Quest Studios or something...

I realized that after I said it... 😅