VOGONS

First post, by user33331

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello ( Thermal paste brands of Asia = China )
This paste buying caused me a lot of questions:
- What brand names you use that are proven good ? (Is "Arctic silver"-brand(=pure silver 99%) same as all pastes ? Is the high price justified or is it just branded expensive ?)
- Is it true that some pastes act like a glue and are difficult to remove later ?
- What means "contains no silicone" in pastes ?
- Will >10+ years old thermal paste really become ineffective ?
+ Have you bought any cheap Asian thermal pastes(ebay.com) and are they good ? Do they contain harmful materials like lead, heavy metal pollution, asbestos, glass fibers or such unthinkable toxic mixtures ?

Also how to remove the old paste from the CPU or GPU does it differ ?
What kind of solvent do I need to buy ?
-> Chinese used processor sellers have always extensive hairline scratches and such on the cpu's lid. Do they use steel wool or why such hairlines ? Are they necessary or can they be avoided ?

Do I have to renew old thermal pads ? Do they get old also ?
- I have found these rubbery pads in graphic cards on top of the memory.
- Any good thermal pad brands to buy ?

Reply 1 of 4, by elod

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tend to stick to stuff I know. Got some Arctic Silver but I also bought 2 kinds of pastes from an electronics distributor. One is the usual white stuff, the other is a lot thicker and grey. They also come with datasheets that are trustworthy. I would not consider stuff with unknown QA procedures.

Reply 3 of 4, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

At the service we use GD900-1 6W/M-K as it is very effective and a thin film is all thats required to spread on.
There exist also thermal glues and thermal pads, some pastes due to their characteristics may solidify over time and "Glue" an heatsink to the chip. Thats why regular paste changing is recommended.
Pastes, glues and pads loose their thermal ability over time, some more than others. There are also pastes designed for specific usages under specific environments. Not all pastes apply at the same place and idea.
Also, RAM pretty much doesnt need thermal pads (As seen in many laptop brands where ram thermal pads either do not reach the cooler, or are blocked by plastic or they didnt even take off the second protective plastic on the top) but it doesnt hurt to cool em down as well.

Some pastes are silicone based, some are not. A paste should not be some cheapest Shenzhen metallic conductive crap thats impossible to get off certain surfaces if stained by.

Depending on the situation, if its really stuck, try heating it up, if no budge, pull it off by force. We use 100% acetone for paste removal.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 4 of 4, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thermal paste being wet is only necessary for the first application as a carrier for the suspended particulate. Once all the holes are filled in, it should be good for a long time. Of course, vibration and movement of the heat sink may redistribute the compound and leave air pockets.

Under normal circumstances, thermal compound can last decades. If the thermal compound is no longer moist and the material you're using isn't straight water (which actually has outstanding thermal conductivity), it's not an issue.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder