VOGONS

First post, by captain_koloth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I successfully installed Windows 3.1 within Dosbox 0.74. I copied my Civilization II Cd-ROM to an iso and then mounted that .iso as drive D: within DOSBox. This works and shows up properly within DOSBox at startup. When I start the game itself from Windows 3.1, it tells me that it cannot play music unless the CD-ROM is in the drive. However, the disc IS in the (virtual mounted) drive. When I go to Windows 3.1 -> File Manager I see drive D: show up as a CD-ROM drive with the appropriate contents. I can launch the game itself from going to Run -> D:. It's only within the game itself that it seems to be a problem.

In Windows 3.1 Control Panel I don't see any sort of CD ROM driver and my guess it this is what I'm lacking. Any ideas on what driver I'd need or if in fact I have a different problem? I have read that Windows 3.1 doesn't have its own CD-ROM drivers in addition to MSCDEX, and as mentioned it seems to recognize the CD-ROM drive and I have successfully mounted CD-ROM drives with many other DOSBox games (though without Windows 3.1).

Reply 1 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

An ISO does not contain CD audio. You'll need to make a .bin and .cue file of your CD for CD audio to work.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 4, by captain_koloth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Disregard, I figured it out. Problem is I was mounting the .bin instead of the .cue. For anyone who has a similar problem in the future, you must load the .cue!

Thanks for your help DosFreak!