Asrock 775Dual VSTA & Core4Dual thread

Discussion about old PC hardware.

Re: Asrock 775Dual VSTA & Core4Dual thread

Postby agent_x007 » 2018-1-24 @ 20:55

From what I gather, 7800 GSs are way too underclocked on GPU.
There should be room for at least 50MHz on GPU core (a lot more if it's 90nm).

Also, legit PDC VID mod looks like this :
Pentium Dual-Core VID points (CPU).jpg

You have to link or isolate contact pads, starting from stock VID, to reach values from VID table.
Pentium Dual-Core Pin to VID Table.png

PS. With G70, you could try to unlock pixel/vertex shaders using RivaTuner.
I think in G71 they are hard locked tho...
Here's GPU-z screen of 7900 GS AGP I own :
7900 GS GPU-z.jpg
agent_x007
Oldbie

Postby kaputnik » 2018-2-09 @ 08:45

Got a 4CoreDual-SATA2 board the other day, trying to build a dual booting W98/XP machine around it. Want to use a PCIe graphics card in XP, and an AGP one in W98. I don't need both in either OS, just want them to coexist in the machine.

Tried with a GF 9600GT in the PCIe slot, and a GF FX5900 in the AGP slot. The system boots just fine with both cards with PCI or AGP selected as primary graphics adapter in the BIOS setup, but only the FX5900 outputs anything. In Windows, there's no sign of the 9600GT in the device manager. When setting primary graphics adapter to PCIe, the system freezes even before POSTing. Both cards works perfectly in single configuration.

There seems to be some conflicting information on the web whether a dual graphics card setup works or not. Here's a thread where a poster apparently has gotten a reply from the ASRock support stating that it works, but other places, for instance this thread, indicates that it won't.

The mobo is flashed with the hacked 2.20a BIOS from pctreiber.de supporting up to 4GB of RAM. As of now, only 1GB is installed though, to avoid instability/compatibility problems.

My question is simple: has anyone managed to get a dual AGP/PCIe graphics card setup working in any of these boards, or even better, specifically in the 4CoreDual-SATA2, and in that case how?

Edit: Some progress. Booted to the rescue environment in the Debian installer, and lspci at least shows both cards:
Attachments
lspci.jpg
kaputnik

Postby agent_x007 » 2018-2-09 @ 17:57

1) When using two GPUs on Windows XP, you have to Disable the one you don't need (through device manager or by disabling slot/bridge itself).
2) NV drivers are so dumb that they try to install themselves on all NV devices they find, even id it means unsupported GPUs.
Disable GPUs after driver installation.
3) When everything will start to fall apart, use Safe Mode and uninstall all NV drivers (DDU/Device manager)

Personally, I always use AGP as primary GPU, and in Win XP I switch monitor inputs (I don't change graphics adapters in BIOS).
When you disable AGP card in Windows XP, it will use PCI-e one by default.
Only drawback is no POST/loading screen on PCI-e GPU.
agent_x007
Oldbie

Postby kaputnik » 2018-2-09 @ 18:45

agent_x007 wrote:1) When using two GPUs on Windows XP, you have to Disable the one you don't need (through device manager or by disabling slot/bridge itself).
2) NV drivers are so dumb that they try to install themselves on all NV devices they find, even id it means unsupported GPUs.
Disable GPUs after driver installation.
3) When everything will start to fall apart, use Safe Mode and uninstall all NV drivers (DDU/Device manager)

Personally, I always use AGP as primary GPU, and in Win XP I switch monitor inputs (I don't change graphics adapters in BIOS).
When you disable AGP card in Windows XP, it will use PCI-e one by default.
Only drawback is no POST/loading screen on PCI-e GPU.

Ah, thanks, that's some useful info :) Will try installing XP, disabling the AGP card, reboot, and install drivers for the PCIe card then. Can live without the POST and loading screens. Guess W98 will sort itself :)
kaputnik

Previous

Return to General Old Hardware