VOGONS

First post, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I need some help to choose a correct AGP type video card for my motherboard, I have a Gigabyte GA-6BXC mobo and I think its a 2x AGP bus but I cant tell even from reading the manual here: http://download1.gigabyte.eu/Files/Manual/mot … nual_6bxc_e.pdf

I think the mobo uses a 3.3v bus from the key of the AGP bus on the mobo so will it be an AGP 2x only at 3.3v? I have tried to use a Geforce FX 5200 card that has the 3.3 and 1.5V slots and the bios runs at a crawling speed for some reason so I bet I need to use an AGP 2x video card in stead of what the FX 5200 is, am I right?

Pictures:
http://s836.photobucket.com/user/sierragames/library/AGP

Reply 2 of 8, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GabrielKnight123 wrote:

I have tried to use a Geforce FX 5200 card that has the 3.3 and 1.5V slots and the bios runs at a crawling speed for some reason

That's probably normal. I did a lot of tests in the last weeks and modern cards are terribly slow pushing characters on screen through BIOS calls. I think I even tested an FX 5200 and it did something like 8,000 chars/sec. (an average VLB card does 60,000, S3 PCI cards do >100,000).

Reply 4 of 8, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi infiniteclouds I have the revision 1.9 motherboard the revision number was not near the motherboard name instead on one of the corners of the PCB, can you tell me where you found the info about the jumper for version 2.0 motherboards?

Reply 6 of 8, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok -- I found the info for you -- here's the link... it includes the motherboard modification for 1.x boards to fix it I think as well.

http://www.plasma-online.de/english/upgrade/t … gabyte_tnt.html

Note that while the quotes reference the 6BXE this applies to 6BXC as well.

Gigabyte has implemented LVD regulators with their GA-6BXE rev 1.x series. These are not sufficient to power 3D graphic cards like RIVA TNT / TNT 2 (e.g. Guillemont Maxi Gamer Xentor series) or 3dfx Voodoo III due to the high current needed.
Official Gigabyte statement:
"On our old version M/Bs, for example GA-6BXE PCB 1.9, we used LVD regulator to generate 3.3V power for AGP card. Because Voodoo3 card drains too much power from 3.3V, the LVD regulator can't stand too much current and offer enough current to Voodoo3. On GA-6BXE PCB 2.0, we implement JP18 and JP19 connectors which directly connect the 3.3V from power-supply to AGP device. At beginning, the system uses 3.3V power from LVD regulator. When the regulator can't offer enough current for AGP card, the power-supply will provide the 3.3V power to AGP card immediately."

Gigabyte GA-6BXE rev 1.x series motherboards can be modified to supply sufficient voltage.
Revision 2.x and later feature a changed voltage supply to support AGP 2.0 specifications. Before proceeding check correct voltage of ATX connector either by measuring pin 1 (3.3V- orange) against pin 3 (ground - black) or by checking within BIOS section Power Management Setup that 3.3V output lies between 3.15 and 3.45V.

Be careful because I think you could potentially damage your board if you use a card that cannot draw the power it needs?

Reply 7 of 8, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the info infiniteclouds, going by the info above with my version 1.9 it is only using regulators for 3.3v to AGP and all I can do is check if the pins are out putting the correct voltage but from where do I check this, the power supply or the AGP port on the motherboard? I have some video cards with only 3.3v am I safe using these cards?

Reply 8 of 8, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Honestly I'm not sure -- if you could edit the title of this thread to include GA-6BXC you might grab Gerwin's attention and I know you he can probably tell you more. He is very familiar with this board.