VOGONS

First post, by Fimbulvetr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a Shuttle Spacewalker XPC (SV24, PIII-933, 496 mb ram, Win 98se) that has a vexing issue I can't seem to solve. On a cold start it gets to just after windows finishes the start up sound, and then it reboots. After that it works fine. Following reboots have no problems. I can even turn it off, and provided I don't take too long to restart it there are no problems. I am almost tempted to ignore it but waiting for the damn thing to run through scandisk after the initial reboot drives me crazy. All hardware in the machine is stock. I guess I could just never turn it off if I didn't mind the turbine engine whine of the power supply fan 😜

Any ideas?

Last edited by Fimbulvetr on 2018-03-06, 15:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 9, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you turn it on (cold boot) and enter the bios for a bit (give it a couple of minutes), exit without saving changes, and let it boot Windows, does it boot Windows successfully on the first try?

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 2 of 9, by Fimbulvetr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried the BIOS trick without success a few times. Last night just for the heck of it I hit pause during startup right after post, waited a few minutes, then hit the reset button and it started fine. But that was a first and I have to wait for a cold start to test if that trick works every time or if it was just a weird one-time fluke. The most frustrating part of figuring out this issue is that once it has been rebooted I have to wait a long time for it to have the same problem, and then I only get one chance to try something new.

Reply 3 of 9, by Rawrl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Pretty much all Shuttle boxes up until the late, late Core 2 era suffer from bad capacitors. Given that, and the different behavior when it's warmed up, I'd suspect those first.

Remember to check the ones in the PSU as well. Those slimline power supplies have awful ventilation.
Also, keep in mind that OST caps (which Shuttle were inordinately fond of) don't always fail visibly.

Looks like Badcaps stocks a kit for your particular model, or at least the motherboard.

Reply 4 of 9, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Rawrl wrote:

Looks like Badcaps stocks a kit for your particular model, or at least the motherboard.

😁 Oh man. Oh... oh dude.

So if badcaps stocks a pre-made recap kit for a system component you are having trouble with, you know things are bad. Ha!

Rawrl just about summed up my line of thinking.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 5 of 9, by Fimbulvetr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Urgh. I was afraid it might be caps but hoping it wasn't as they look fine . . . such tiny, tiny capacitors on that board. I'm used to recapping compact mac boards, where when the capacitors fail, they all fail and leak goo. On the bright side, it looks like the badcaps kit only consists of the 11 bigger capacitors out of the 20 or so on the board. Maybe those the ones that tend to be an issue? I'm planning on replacing the PSU with something quieter anyways.

Reply 7 of 9, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Rawrl wrote:
Pretty much all Shuttle boxes up until the late, late Core 2 era suffer from bad capacitors. Given that, and the different behav […]
Show full quote

Pretty much all Shuttle boxes up until the late, late Core 2 era suffer from bad capacitors. Given that, and the different behavior when it's warmed up, I'd suspect those first.

Remember to check the ones in the PSU as well. Those slimline power supplies have awful ventilation.
Also, keep in mind that OST caps (which Shuttle were inordinately fond of) don't always fail visibly.

Not just bad capacitors, but a pretty tough life for caps in those Shuttle mini boxes.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 8 of 9, by Fimbulvetr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, a couple more tests and warming up the box by hitting pause before letting the system boot into windows, and that doesn't seem to help. I guess I'll look into changing the capacitors.

I still have a hint of doubt about capacitors being the cause though, as there are no random reboots, and this reboot problem is very predictable. It always happens only on the first boot into windows after the computer hasn't been used for a while, and it always happens immediately after the windows start-up sound finishes.