Topic actions

Reply 22620 of 52354, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

*Grumbles about how ANYTHING pci-e is still too new*

It wouldn't be a great leap that there are people who look at pci and agp in the same light, I wonder if there are any absurd ones that look at vlb and eisa the same way too 🤣. It all comes down to opinions rather than facts. 😉

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 22622 of 52354, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That said, GTX295 and HD5970 cards are only a few years old and due to the effect of the current mining craze on GPU prices you even see them being used in new systems. I wouldn't call that retro - although I can imagine some people might want to collect them regardless.

DIrectX 10 cards are obsolete and usually not supported.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 22623 of 52354, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Few minutes ago bought this.
Turtle Beach Fiji

TB_fiji.jpg
Filename
TB_fiji.jpg
File size
271.11 KiB
Views
File comment
Turtle Beach Fiji
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

(sellers photo)

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 22625 of 52354, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:

*Grumbles about how ANYTHING pci-e is still too new*

Even I, thinks that PCI-E is new and I kind of have the same thing with high end AGP card's. Anything after GF4/Radeon9800 are just new stuff in my eyes. The reason is that WinXP era is not retro enough in my eyes. Might be older, yet to me it has not reached that retro place just yet. It will take a lot of time, before it becomes retro, and even more time to become vintage in my eyes. Yeah... You are not alone.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 22626 of 52354, by anderswk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got this Quadro4 XGL 750 of eBay. Basically, the equivalent of a Geforce4 4400. Unfortunately I only got garbage on screen when I tested it in my Pentium iii 600 + 440bx.

I wonder if this is because the card requires AGP 2.0, which the 440bx doesn't support? Of course, the card could also be bad (two of the capacitors are bulging a bit).

IMG_3349.jpg
Filename
IMG_3349.jpg
File size
493.65 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

1991: IBM PS/2 Model 35 SX
1995: IBM Aptiva 2144
1999: IBM IntelliStation M Pro 6889

Reply 22628 of 52354, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This was less "today" and more "I had to wait three weeks for snail mail from Germany to finally deliver this", but here it is!
Amiga_500.jpg

I still need a mouse, PSU, RGB cable (something that just straight-up terminates into DE-15 VGA will work for me if fed to my PEXHDCAP) and Workbench floppies to actually *use* it, but hey, it's a start given how wallet-violatingly expensive anything Amiga is these days. I just wanted to be sure I'd actually get the computer first.

Whatever trapdoor RAM expansion that is, it doesn't appear to be an official A501, and the RTC backup battery appears to have been removed - but not before taking some of the PCB traces with it. Nothing I can't fix, though now I need to look into what batteries I can substitute to get the RTC working again. I suppose that's the one good thing about the A500 not having a built-in RTC.

Reply 22630 of 52354, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
anderswk wrote:

Got this Quadro4 XGL 750 of eBay. Basically, the equivalent of a Geforce4 4400. Unfortunately I only got garbage on screen when I tested it in my Pentium iii 600 + 440bx.

I wonder if this is because the card requires AGP 2.0, which the 440bx doesn't support? Of course, the card could also be bad (two of the capacitors are bulging a bit).

IMG_3349.jpg

It's most probably defective ram chips. Have seen this many many times on the ti4400 and ti4600 cards. The Ti4200 can ofcourse also have this problem but most i have seen did work.
It did cost me quite some time to finally find working ti4400 and ti4600 cards.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 22631 of 52354, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kixs wrote:

RTC isn't really needed on A500. Unless you want it for something else then games 😁

I figure that it'll come in handy if I drop a Vampire accelerator into it, as initially planned. That would make Workbench plenty usable with the CF/microSD slots, especially if I get some form of networking going with it.

But before I go that far, I need to make sure this system works first. Maybe even get a US layout keyboard (or one of those USB adapters I spotted on eBay) while I'm at it, because that QWERTZ layout is only going to give me serious muscle memory problems when trying to touch-type on it.

Reply 22632 of 52354, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The other thing to replace when changing the keyboard layout (swapping the QWERTZ keyboard and QWERTY keyboard) would be (I digress) the keyboard ASCII ROM (I have no idea if that's the case or not).

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 22634 of 52354, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It actually hit me that I had enough ATX cable scrap left over from a prior MDD G4 ATX adapter rewiring project and one of those ATX jumper connectors that come with water-cooling kits (or in one case, the PSU itself) that I could whip up my own crude little Amiga ATX adapter - so I did.

It fires right up! Kickstart 1.3, red power LED on the keyboard. But alas, I don't have any Amiga floppies to run in it, or the means to write new ones using my PC or vintage Mac floppy drives. Gotta love non-standard disk formats with proprietary drive controllers.

Also, I opened it up. Revision 5 motherboard, type 2. I was hoping for a revision 6 or later for a number of reasons, but oh well, I'll take what I can get.

Next up: doing something about that RGB port, because grayscale video from the mono video port leaves a lot to be desired. A simple DE-15 pin adapter would be enough for the PEXHDCAP to capture it, as it handles said mono signal over the component Y line just fine. (I'd actually be pretty hosed without this card, considering it's a PAL system in NTSC land now!)

bjwil1991 wrote:

The other thing to replace when changing the keyboard layout (swapping the QWERTZ keyboard and QWERTY keyboard) would be (I digress) the keyboard ASCII ROM (I have no idea if that's the case or not).

I figured that'd be part of the keyboard itself, but who knows... I'm still reading up on this thing, like finding out that I actually need to replace the Fat Agnus chip if I want to turn the trapdoor RAM expansion from Slow RAM to Chip RAM (of which I'll need a full 1 MB for WHDLoad, apparently).

andrewreader wrote:

She's beautiful. Congratulations.

The funny thing is, this one is actually a bit busted up and cracked here and there, mostly on the bottom half of the case. There's a particularly big chunk missing above the side expansion port, and the rear corners are a bit cracked.

It's a big part of how I got it for a not-so-wallet-reaming price, knowing that there's a project to make new A500 cases soon (from the same guys that made reproduction A1200 cases and keycaps recently). Even if I don't take that route, the fact that the case is all damaged anyway lowers my hesitance to actually consider cutting it up a bit to fit switches and new I/O ports into that gap behind the floppy drive.

I was also told that some of the keyboard keys don't work, though I'm in no position to verify that without a Workbench disk at the very least (fire up a shell and start typing). Even if it did have problems, it's not the first time I've had to repair traces before.

All in all, it's like buying a "mechanic special" car that's missing some stuff - it's not a good value if you don't know how to work on it and get it up and running again, even if that means buying some parts. Fortunately, computers are much simpler machines to work on than cars, and I know where to get the obscure parts required or fabricate my own for basic operation.

Too bad that, like exotic cars, Amiga parts are exotic enough that you'll pay through the nose to get compatible replacements. I'm still shopping around to see what route I should take on PS/2 mouse adapters (maybe going for one of those auto-switchers with a USB and a DE-9) and RGB cables.

Reply 22635 of 52354, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
NamelessPlayer wrote:

This was less "today" and more "I had to wait three weeks for snail mail from Germany to finally deliver this", but here it is!
*snip*

Congratulations and have fun restoring!

So many memories of getting my ass kicked at Mortal Combat 😁

Reply 22636 of 52354, by Eleanor1967

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Batyra wrote:
Few minutes ago bought this. Turtle Beach Fiji […]
Show full quote

Few minutes ago bought this.
Turtle Beach Fiji

TB_fiji.jpg

(sellers photo)

I would be interested to hear your thoughts on the card:)

Reply 22637 of 52354, by andrewreader

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
NamelessPlayer wrote:

It actually hit me that I had enough ATX cable scrap left over from a prior MDD G4 ATX adapter rewiring project and one of those ATX jumper connectors that come with water-cooling kits (or in one case, the PSU itself) that I could whip up my own crude little Amiga ATX adapter - so I did.

It fires right up! Kickstart 1.3, red power LED on the keyboard. But alas, I don't have any Amiga floppies to run in it, or the means to write new ones using my PC or vintage Mac floppy drives. Gotta love non-standard disk formats with proprietary drive controllers.

I have an Amiga 1200. It was a family computer that I've manage to keep in great shape. It has a 4 GB CF drive internally. I did use a Gotek drive for a bit, but now have the floppy drive back in play.

I now have the DF1 / External Gotek adapter to use the drive if I need it.

I have a PCMCIA network card (wired and wireless) which allows me to transfer files and browse a primitive Web.

I've recenlty been trying to use it with a Multisync (15Khz) VGA monitor with some success. Although VistaLite uses some weird resolution which it doesn't like.

Because most games and application run from the CF card, I have a port auto-switcher. I still use an Amiga compatiable mouse.

The CBMStuff Supercard Pro can read and write Amiga disks using a standard PC Floppy drive. This is more expense. 😲

Keep going! I hope you sucessfully restore it.

Reply 22638 of 52354, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I know I had made a new year resolution to stop buying Slot 1 crap but it was for next to nothing so I got this bundle.. It looks like the motherboard needs several caps replaced, I can see them bulging from even this potato photo. I thought it would make a fine replacement for my BX2000 that has had its primary bios chip go bad.

0fecf2a5437bfb1f672ea0c4e27a92fc.jpeg?impolicy=img_900

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 22639 of 52354, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow that Slot 1 mobo look like a mobo from the mid 2000's, not from the late 90's/very early 2000's

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative