VOGONS

First post, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey there

working on my new Dual Pentium Pro 200 build and had to find out that as soon as the LS-120 drive is connected as primary slave to the main hard drive, neither Win 98SE installs (freezes at early graphical setup) nor Windows 2000 (crashes during PnP init with BSOD).
All drives, including the LS-120, are detected correctly during POST.

Specs:
Tyan S1668 Motherboard
2x Pentium Pro 200
128 MB EDO RAM (2x 32MB, 4x 16MB)
Some WD 4GB HDD (Primary Master)
LS-120 IDE drive (Primary Slave)
PX-712A (Secondary Master)
ZIP 100 ATAPI (Secondary Slave)
Voodoo 3 2000 PCI
3COM 3C900-TPO PCI
Creative CT4810 PCI

As soon as I disconnect the LS-120, Windows 98SE as well as Windows 2000 install fine.

Anyone seen this behaviour?
Didn't try a BIOS upgrade yet, to be honest.

Thanks!
nemail

Reply 2 of 7, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You could try swapping the IDE devices around, for example put the PX-712A as Primary Slave and the LS120 and ZIP on the Secondary. Maybe the WD and the LS120 don't want to play nice together.

1982 to 2001

Reply 3 of 7, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What is the reason for building dual cpu retro pc? I found a motherboard recently that has dual pentium 2 450Mhz cpus and I remember thinking that whats the point of having dual cpu pc like that because if you want faster, you might as well use P3 instead.

Reply 4 of 7, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The love for the hardware, I suppose. 🤣 😎

Baoran wrote:

What is the reason for building dual cpu retro pc? I found a motherboard recently that has dual pentium 2 450Mhz cpus and I remember thinking that whats the point of having dual cpu pc like that because if you want faster, you might as well use P3 instead.

1982 to 2001

Reply 5 of 7, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cyrix200+ wrote:

The love for the hardware, I suppose. 🤣 😎

this! 😁

i guess the LS120 drive might work when connected to another drive than the primary hard disk but at the moment I don't really have an option because that case is kind of messed up.
parts missing and so on so I had to mount the 5,25" drives using hot glue + carton 🤣
everything is mounted very well now (CD drive + ZIP in 5,25" bays and LS120 + hard drive in 3,5" bays but I can't really move anything 😁

I'll try another hard drive as soon as I get to the basement to grab one.

Reply 7 of 7, by amijim

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello,i used to have such a board.I sold it about a month aho.Anyway first thing to do is to change the onboard dallas rtc system.Believe me they give errors when not working correctly.Also try to instal the native smp os of that era.Windows NT it is.The board rocks big time!Also dont forget to install either a scsi or a sata bootable pci card.Onboard 440fx slows downna lot.And memory.You should instal 8 *64 mb .you can find them for below 5$ per module these days.

Iwill ZmaxDP
Arima4way
Tyan s2885
Iwill MPX2
Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW+
Compaq SP700
Compaq ml350