Common searches

Case badges

Topic actions

First post, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One of the things I liked best about the generic beige cases I owned as a kid were the colourful domed case badges that were stuck in the 25x25cm recess provided for that purpose. We bought our PC’s from whatever local, fly by night vendor was selling the specs we wanted for the best price, so they were never anything close to a known brand. They were stores with names like “ABC computers”, or “A1 PC”, and their logos were obviously hastily created the night before they launched the store. The one I remember best was the one on my 486SX33, bought in early ’93. It had a brushed steel background and I vaguely remember blues and greens, but I don’t remember the design or store name.

For the most part the vintage cases I own now have no badge at all, so I decided to get some made based on what I remember about my favourite childhood badge. This is the simple design I came up with:

Badge6_zps0431c72c.png

I sent it off to http://www.case-badges.com/, paid some money, and received these in the mail a few weeks later:

48cd8231-1a77-4aca-b49d-7a7b2be800eb_zpsc2a953ad.jpg

IMG_5213_zpsed8145cd.jpg

Last edited by badmojo on 2014-03-25, 03:05. Edited 1 time in total.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 2 of 28, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For a while, there was an Australian company that made case badges, and would send you a free sample if you sent them an image. Obviously once The Internet caught wind of that, it got abused and they stopped offering it.

How much was "some money"?

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 3 of 28, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SquallStrife wrote:

How much was "some money"?

The minimum was 10 stickers at just over 3 bucks each I think. I got 12 so it came out to about $40AUD delivered.

Reply 4 of 28, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's so cool! I was only just recently designing a case badge for my 486 rig. Was then going to take the image around to sign/sticker making place like sign-a-rama and then ask them to make it up for me but after seeing your post I'm just going to do what you did. Thanks 😀

Reply 5 of 28, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
borgie83 wrote:

That's so cool! I was only just recently designing a case badge for my 486 rig. Was then going to take the image around to sign/sticker making place like sign-a-rama and then ask them to make it up for me but after seeing your post I'm just going to do what you did. Thanks 😀

Nice one, show us your design!

Reply 7 of 28, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great badge! I was thinking of making badges of different brands my PCs have, including Matrox, 3dfx, Aureal, Diamond multimedia. Perhaps we could make a thread with custom-made badge designs for everyone to enjoy? I have a few here 😀

snorg wrote:

Why not use your Av as a case badge? That would look cool as hell.

It sure would!

Reply 8 of 28, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Funny story:

Years back when my niece and nephew were kids, I built them up a couple of starter PCs for Christmas... nothing fancy, simply some old stock I had laying around.

My nephew, who was about 7 or 8 years old at the time, played more games than my niece, so his PC that I was building for him was a bit faster than the one I was building for my niece.

I cut out two little appropriate sized pictures from one of my old Computer Gaming World magazines, and then glued them to that little PC case indentation on each of the cases.

The pic for my nephew's was of one of the "One Must Fall: 2097" robots, and the one for my niece was Duke Nukem's head.

Hehe... after they got their PCs for Christmas, my nephew was shouting "I WANT THE DUKE NUKEM COMPUTER!!!! I WANT THE DUKE NUKEM COMPUTER!!!!" (even though HIS had a faster CPU) 🤣! 😀

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 9 of 28, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used case-badges.com as well. my childhood PC had a C.C World case badge, which appears to have been a big distributor of PC cases in the day. I checked out their website using archive.org, copied their logo and made some modifications based on my memory of the badge. Sent it off and this was the result:

VBJw70Nt.jpg

This is also the same style of case that I had back then, so this PC looks almost exactly the same as my childhood one.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 10 of 28, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rfnagel wrote:

Hehe... after they got their PCs for Christmas, my nephew was shouting "I WANT THE DUKE NUKEM COMPUTER!!!! I WANT THE DUKE NUKEM COMPUTER!!!!" (even though HIS had a faster CPU) 🤣! 😀

Who wouldn't want the duke computer?!

DonutKing wrote:

This is also the same style of case that I had back then, so this PC looks almost exactly the same as my childhood one.

Good to know I'm not the only one taking this nostalgia thing too far 😜 What's inside that case?

Reply 11 of 28, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've been peeling off the various Windows and Pentium stickers I come across to put into that spot. A case doesn't look complete with nothing put in there.
And yeh its a hard call, faster PC or looking at Duke while your game loads

Reply 12 of 28, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:
DonutKing wrote:

Good to know I'm not the only one taking this nostalgia thing too far 😜 What's inside that case?

Well its a bit different internally to my childhood PC... Back then I had a 486SX-25 with Trident ISA VGA card, 4MB RAM and no sound card.... that was later upgraded to 8MB RAM, and an Aztech Sound Galaxy NX Pro (later replaced with an SB16 when the CMOS battery leaked on it) and a double speed CDROM.

This machine has an AMD 5x86-133MHz, 16MB RAM, VLB ET4000AX VGA card, an AWE64, , RAP10 and a GUS classic. Most of the same games/software is installed on it like I remember though 😀

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 13 of 28, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I came across a case recently that had a badge on it which stirred some memories - can't be sure with my unreliable grey matter but I think it might be the design I had on my first PC.

I scanned the original, recreated the image, and had some replicas printed up (original pictured below with replicas in the bag):

P1030786.jpg

P1030800.jpg

Final.png

Reply 14 of 28, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My case badge is an Apple Macintosh Quadra 650 on my Socket 7 case (my dad put that on there years ago).

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 15 of 28, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Been looking for 3DFX badges, guess this is one way to get some?

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 16 of 28, by sirlemonhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

These are really cool 😀 I don't think I ever owned a case that had a domed badge like this though as all mine were Dell or Gateway 2000 machines.

Has anyone ever found a good source for scans of 'Intel Inside' stickers? I want to recreate the red one for an old Dell 486...

Reply 17 of 28, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I created a nice retro computer case badge for my retro gaming rig using my COL business logo from decades ago 😀 Nothing fancy here, simply a quick printout on an Avery label.

(re: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzi4K4ZeJCI )

Attachments

• 20180419_224002.jpg
    Filename
    20180419_224002.jpg
    File size
    941.14 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 18 of 28, by WildW

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a case with what looks like a spot for a case badge but it's not the usual square - it's pill-shaped, about 40mm by 15mm. Was this ever a standard thing or is my case just weird?

Attachments

• 2018-04-20 06.16.35.jpg
    Filename
    2018-04-20 06.16.35.jpg
    File size
    12.22 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 19 of 28, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rfnagel wrote:

I created a nice retro computer case badge for my retro gaming rig using my COL business logo from decades ago 😀 Nothing fancy here, simply a quick printout on an Avery label.

What service did "COL" provide?

And @WildW - that looks like a button to me, have you tried pushing it? 🤣

I don't remember coming across a case with a badge that shape - they're usually recessed too and that doesn't look to be.