VOGONS

Reply 20 of 52, by nztdm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mrau wrote:
luckybob wrote:

I'd like to point out, if I had the cash, I would buy both IMMEDIATELY.

is this in any way better than a generic memory card?

Are there many 16-bit ISA memory cards? I seem to recall only seeing 8MB.

And yea this is one of the worst memory cards, because it requires proprietary IBM SIMMs, and likely only works in the Model 30-286.

Reply 21 of 52, by nztdm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
luckybob wrote:

quite the opposite. it is ONLY for the IBM model 25/30 and maybe 5160 (at 286)

I don't even think it works for all those. The box only says Model 30-286, and the manual says that's all it will work in.

Reply 22 of 52, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think it'll work in any system with an ISA slot provided you can feed it the correct SIMMs.

Thanks for the heads up! I just picked one up. I should've bought two. The price is really nice for what it is. I would have easily paid that price for a loose one, but this comes in a nice shrinkwrapped box.

This is going in my hotrod 5170. I like to use real IBM parts when possible. This card will save me two ISA slots. I currently run dual 8MB cards, and a separate I/O card.

I am really fascinated by some of the ISA cards IBM was producing after they discontinued their classic lines of PCs. Of course they were mainly intended for the model 30 systems, but they also look really sharp when installed in 5160/5170/5162. The theory was that the 5162 was supposed to be a backup plan if the PS/2 line failed. I suspect many of these late ISA cards were originally intended for that system. It's fun to think how their late 80s machines could have been had IBM not rolled out the PS/2.

Last edited by Anonymous Coward on 2018-05-06, 12:16. Edited 1 time in total.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 23 of 52, by nztdm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I think it'll work in any system with an ISA slot provided you can feed it the correct SIMMs.

Thanks for the heads up! I just picked one up. I should've bought two. The price is really nice for what it is. I would have easily paid that price for a loose one, but this comes in a nice shrinkwrapped box.

This is going in my hotrod 5170. I like to use real IBM parts when possible.

Let us know here if it works!
The included diskette has some files you must add to your original Starter Diskette, and they're probably only for the Model 30-286 Starter Diskette. Who knows.

Reply 24 of 52, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm pretty sure that a guy over on vcfed with a 5170 or 5162 already confirmed it works.

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?517 … d-Mystery/page2

Reply 25 of 52, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I'm pretty sure that a guy over on vcfed with a 5170 or 5162 already confirmed it works.

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?517 … d-Mystery/page2

That thread shows the simms I have in mine.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 26 of 52, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If possible, I recommend upgrading your FPU from a regular 80287 to the 80287XL. Not long ago there were a bunch of them on eBay going for very little money. They run cooler, and internally they are the same as an 80387SX. They also run 1:1 with the CPU rather than 2:3.

Reply 27 of 52, by nztdm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote:

If possible, I recommend upgrading your FPU from a regular 80287 to the 80287XL. Not long ago there were a bunch of them on eBay going for very little money. They run cooler, and internally they are the same as an 80387SX. They also run 1:1 with the CPU rather than 2:3.

Interesting! Good to know.

That'll edge the benchmarks up just a tad more :p

Reply 28 of 52, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Now add a MakeIt 486 with internal Clock Doubling 😁

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 30 of 52, by Kubik

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice build 😀 I've got something similar, although not that good - I am only using generic memory board with an excessive amount of 41256 chips to add whopping 2MB RAM 😀 On the other hand, the memory test takes so long I usually have time enough for a cup of coffee. I assume 12.5MB memory test takes like five minutes?

Reply 32 of 52, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wouldn't bother with make it 486. There are better 486 upgrades out there. If you wanted to upgrade, at least get one that lets you do better than just clock double. I have a module that lets me run 6 times the system clock, it's based on the TI486SXL. So far that is the best one I've found. I have an Evergreen that lets you do 66MHz (regardless of base clock), and it's based on IBM 486SLC2, however I have yet to make that one sit well with my DMA SCSI controller.

The make it 486 has 1kb of cache, and lets you run 2X system clock. At least in my 5170 16MHz isn't much of a speed up. Its main advantage is to let you run 32-bit code. $400 is a pretty insane price to pay, unless you are into shrink wrap.

Reply 33 of 52, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I purchased an IBM PS/2 thinking I could restore it. The outside is nice , not a scratch on it. So I thought it was hardly used. However when I opened it, The battery had burst and spilled acid all over the motherboard and corroded the chips and circuit board.

So it is just siting in my garage now.

It needs a new motherboard and speaker and battery holder.

The other parts are good however.

Also it requires special cards, ram, and hard-drive adapters.

Attachments

• IBM-009.jpg
    Filename
    IBM-009.jpg
    File size
    59.76 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 34 of 52, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice, a Model 70. I always liked PS/2s, but I've never been fortunate enough to have access to enough affordable expansion cards to make it worth my time. Even in the 90s it sucked.

Reply 35 of 52, by Irishmark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
matze79 wrote:

Now add a MakeIt 486 with internal Clock Doubling 😁

Hi! Apologies for raising an older thread but I have an option to buy a MakeIt 386 to 486 DX SXL2-50 and am wondering will it work in an IBM Model 70 386?

Reply 36 of 52, by WhiteLighter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

> > Will sell the original 4 x 1MB genuine PS/2 SIMMs, as I'm using 100% counterfeit ones now 😊

Hey if you still have those 4x1MB chips I'll buy them!

Reply 37 of 52, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I also have 70 too with 16MB and modified board to take 20MHz and used AMD 25mHz CPU , have not gotten around to source a scsi controller and scsi hard drive. I wish the pinout on the for the hard drive and schematic would be nice to make a MCA to IDE adapter to plug into back of the floppy adapter board and leave a slot open for anything else.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 38 of 52, by demonlg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, sorry if i resume this old post, i have two of the same machine, one working fine and other have an 603 603 error on boot after wrong floppy cable way, and conseguent drive chips blown up, now the system wont boot from floppy and from hdd it stay to seek for 4 times and then going to basic, same hdd in other machine working perfect. But the question is, i have the your same sound card, two in effect, with ide connecto for CDROM used in 1990, but, do you have connected CFcard and the system automatically boot from this or i need any modification on BIOS or other? I have also inserted an ISA floppy+hdd controller but the floppy seek is present, wont boot from floppy and wont boot from ide hdd.

Thanks in advice.

Emanuel

Reply 39 of 52, by nztdm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
demonlg wrote on 2021-12-03, 08:15:

Hi, sorry if i resume this old post, i have two of the same machine, one working fine and other have an 603 603 error on boot after wrong floppy cable way, and conseguent drive chips blown up, now the system wont boot from floppy and from hdd it stay to seek for 4 times and then going to basic, same hdd in other machine working perfect. But the question is, i have the your same sound card, two in effect, with ide connecto for CDROM used in 1990, but, do you have connected CFcard and the system automatically boot from this or i need any modification on BIOS or other? I have also inserted an ISA floppy+hdd controller but the floppy seek is present, wont boot from floppy and wont boot from ide hdd.

Thanks in advice.

Emanuel

I am not sure if the machine will disable the onboard floppy controller if you install an ISA one.
If not, then you don't want two controllers installed or there could be bus contention and instability or damage.

Perhaps the floppy controller chip is bad. It's a standard part so can be replaced. I'd ask on the PS/2 Facebook group what could be damaged by a reverse floppy cable.

The system BIOS doesn't support IDE HDDs at all. You need a BIOS Extension ROM.
I'd recommend the "ATL" version of XT-IDE BIOS, configured for a single 16-bit IDE interface at the I/O address your sound card is configured for (if the sound card is identical to mine, the address is 170h, IRQ15).

I can provide the ROM you need. You can put it in a network card, or a DoubleROM card (one of my products).