VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by newbie

User metadata

I noticed in the FAQ section that DOSBox supports games for older systems (list includes as far back as Win2000); what about even older systems? Does DOSBox support games for Win98?

thanks

Reply 2 of 6, by newbie

User metadata

Thanks for the reply...

The FAQ for this has the following info at the very onset:

>
DOSBox emulates an Intel x86 PC, complete with sound, graphics, mouse, modem, etc., necessary for running many old DOS games that simply cannot be run on modern PCs and operating systems, such as Microsoft Windows 2000, Windows XP, Linux and FreeBSD.
>

It doesn't list Win98...so I wanted to know if it did work for Win98 systems (or, if that was 'too old'...).

I think you answered my question - that it DOES work for Win98.

Please correct me (anyone) if I'm wrong.

Thank you.

Reply 3 of 6, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What the FAQ is saying is that DOSBox allows you to run DOS games that don't run well (or at all) in modern operating systems that provide their own facilities for running DOS applications.

Reply 4 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It probably doesn't mention Windows 9x since 9x users are MUCH more compatible with DOS games than NT\Linux\Other OS users. That said 9x still isn't as compatible as DosBox so perhaps Windows 9x should be added? or perhaps not...who wants to support 9x users?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 6, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

DOSBOX should work ok on Windows 9x (though I did not check recently). It used to be the main OS on my home computer and I did not have any problems...
The only limitation is that -ioctl switch is not supported for mounting CD ROMs on W9x (install ASPI drivers and use -aspi if you need the functionality).

Mirek

Reply 6 of 6, by Guest

User metadata
mirekluza wrote:

DOSBOX should work ok on Windows 9x (though I did not check recently). It used to be the main OS on my home computer and I did not have any problems...
The only limitation is that -ioctl switch is not supported for mounting CD ROMs on W9x (install ASPI drivers and use -aspi if you need the functionality).

I use DOSBOX on a Windows 98 system.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko