VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello, I'm trying to find this in order to use some Japanese software on Windows 98SE, but Microsoft's site no longer seems to have a lot of older files and I had no luck finding it elsewhere. Jamodo.exe is the name of the exe if that helps. If anyone finds it, please let me know. Thanks.

Reply 1 of 10, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, you're lucky, I've got that file on my backups. ^^

I downloaded it years ago from the MS site for my Win98SE.
Unfortunately, that file is to big for an attachment (~5,3MB).

I can send it to you via email, though, if you like.
Just send me a PM.

Best regards,
Jo22

Edit: Good news! 😁
I noted the url of the MS server and found it on the web archive. *link*

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 10, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Afaik, it works for displaying Japanese characters. In Internet Explorer or for text files, for example.
For playing Japanese Windows games, you may need the Japanese release of Windows 98(SE).
I can't go into details, but some of the Japanese Win98(SE) CDs may also recognize English/International *stuff*. 😉

Anyway, Windows 2000/XP also has the ability to install Japanese locals.
The setting related to this is in Control Panel-> Localisation->Languages->Install Files for East-Asian Languages.
(These are translated terms. I'm not sure about the official terms used in the English Windows releases)

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 10, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AFAIK the Microsoft Global IME is for IE and IE only. Only NT-based Windows can install additional language packs (including NT4, although you'll need to dig a bit deeper in the NT4 installation media to find out).

If you need Japanese under Windows 9x you need some third party utilities such as NJStar Communicator (not free, though). But if you're familiar with that language it's better to actually install a Japanese version of Windows, as it'll be much safer.

Reply 6 of 10, by Joey_sw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

as it'll be much safer.

Indeed.
Some program may want to access (read/write/create) filename with Far East characters,
depending on your current character-sets locale setting, the attempt may be result in failure.

Other os quirkness that i found was its String handling API, the result may be different even if the input was byte-to-byte identical,
some Japanese flash games makers uses that quirkness to prevent their games to run on non-Japanese Windows.

-fffuuu

Reply 7 of 10, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks for the info Joey! This reminds me of a story of a Japanese Sharp X68000 (?) emulator.
From what I heard, the developer in question intentionally built in a locale check to make sure it won't work on non-japanese systems..
I still fail to understand why someone would want to do that, though. I mean, if I was an author of an emulator of a system that was popular
in my place or made in my place, I would be rather happy about interested people from other regions.
I wouldn't try to lock them out because of a sense of nationality or something along these lines.

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 10, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
LSS10999 wrote:

AFAIK the Microsoft Global IME is for IE and IE only.

MS Office 2000 (and maybe 97 too) also supports Global IME. There was also a different, much larger version of Global IME for Office XP/2002 (the old Global IME stops working after installing Office XP on Windows 98).

In theory, it could be supported by any application, but it requires explicit support on part of the application. In practice nobody cared.

But I'd really suggest NT-based Windows (2K, XP) for dealing with Japanese text and programs on non-Japanese systems.

Reply 9 of 10, by Retail Archaeology

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2018-06-02, 22:15:
Hi, you're lucky, I've got that file on my backups. ^^ […]
Show full quote

Just send me a PM.

Best regards,
Jo22

3 year old posts FTW! I needed this and this thread was the first google result. Thank you!

Reply 10 of 10, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Retail Archaeology wrote on 2021-05-16, 03:44:
Jo22 wrote on 2018-06-02, 22:15:
Hi, you're lucky, I've got that file on my backups. ^^ […]
Show full quote

Just send me a PM.

Best regards,
Jo22

3 year old posts FTW! I needed this and this thread was the first google result. Thank you!

Glad it helped! You're welcome! 😀

//My video channel//