VOGONS

First post, by viper32cm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am building a Pentium 200Mhz system to run DOS, 1995-97 Windows, and early 3d-accelerated games that do not run properly on my PIII 1Ghz with a GeForce Ti4200 8x AGP. For the video card, I decided to use a TNT2 M64 for the sake of compatibility with the DOS games and what would seem like an overabundance of power for games no newer than the first Rainbow Six. The card I bought is a 16MB model that I believe was sold with Dell-branded systems through sometime in the very early 2000s. Unfortunately, the card does not work on my P200 system. Either the video is completely corrupted or fails to display on the screen at all. At first I thought it was a problem with the card, but the card runs fine in my PIII system, so the problem has to be something with my P200 system. But what?

My two theories at the moment are:
1. Lack of sufficient power. The power supply is an original AT unit with 150 watts. I can't imagine the system draws a lot of power with the standard components installed, but maybe the power supply has lost some capability over the years.

2. Some unknown incompatibility. Either the card can't talk with my motherboard due to age (the P200 system is running a circa 1995-96 motherboard) or there is something about the Dell card that requires a Dell motherboard (my PIII motherboard is Dell branded). This seems unlikely, but who knows.

Any ideas on what I should do? Is there another card I should try?

Reply 1 of 7, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Need a bit more info - what motherboard are you using? And which TNT2-M64 exactly? Those model #s should help us figure out what is going on. 150W isn't much, but unlikely to be the problem if it's still working ruling out issues there with another PSU might be a good idea.

I strongly doubt it's a vendor-related incompatibility (unless you have some very weird OEM motherboard with BIOS whitelist), but it may be a PCI version problem, or something to do with clocking. Or indeed PSU-related. One last possibility (assuming it's a PCI card) is that it's an interrupt conflict. Try it in different PCI slots (without anything else on the PCI bus) to rule that one out.

Reply 2 of 7, by viper32cm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The motherboard is from Jabil Circuit, Inc. and features an Opti Viper 82C558M chipset. I haven't been able to find any more information about it unfortunately. The computer is a Zenith Z-Station GT originally running a P100. The motherboard is LPX form factor and has a two sided riser card for up to six expansion card slots 2 PCI, 4 ISA.

Here's the info on the card:
Manufacturer DELL
Part Number 09629U
Description 180-P0002/ 1298MC

Reply 3 of 7, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hell, the OPTI Chipset is the problem.
its a dog slow Chipset with old PCI Support.

Your TNT2 Card is too new. You may want to try a Permedia 2 Card, a Riva 128 or something in this Class.
Or better use a 3dfx card for 3d and something like a S3 Virge/S3 Trio/Matrox Mystique as primary Card.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 4 of 7, by viper32cm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
matze79 wrote:
Hell, the OPTI Chipset is the problem. its a dog slow Chipset with old PCI Support. […]
Show full quote

Your TNT2 Card is too new. You may want to try a Permedia 2 Card, a Riva 128 or something in this Class.
Or better use a 3dfx card for 3d and something like a S3 Virge/S3 Trio/Matrox Mystique as primary Card.

How does the VESA compatibility of a Riva 128 compare to a TNT2 M64?

Reply 5 of 7, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
viper32cm wrote:
matze79 wrote:
Hell, the OPTI Chipset is the problem. its a dog slow Chipset with old PCI Support. […]
Show full quote

How does the VESA compatibility of a Riva 128 compare to a TNT2 M64?

For DOS games it should be entirely adequate.

Reply 6 of 7, by viper32cm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
yawetaG wrote:

For DOS games it should be entirely adequate.

Are there any PCI 3D-accelerator cards from that era I should avoid due to bad DOS performance? I've always heard that Voodoo Rush cards generally have sub-standard 2D, but that's about the extent of my knowledge.

Reply 7 of 7, by viper32cm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Given my problems with the TNT2 M64, does anyone see any potential for problems with a Voodoo 2 or should I limit myself to an original Voodoo? The motherboard has an integrated ATI Mach64, so I may use that in conjunction with a Voodoo card.