Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 24060 of 52615, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

won this ebay auction for a steal: https://www.ebay.com/itm/222969030865

USB 2.0, Firewire 400, and sata one one pci card? Yes please!

I'm going to re-flash it and hopefully get it to work on my G3 Mac. Save the last 2 slots for a pair of V2's.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 24061 of 52615, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Predator99 wrote:
Batyra, I am also very happy to see your great photos! Please continue with it! […]
Show full quote
keropi wrote:
badmojo wrote:

Ignore them Batyra and keep posting your great pics of great hardware.

ditto , I find the "maybe someone contacts / visit the site" quite a clever thing too 😎

Batyra, I am also very happy to see your great photos! Please continue with it!

But sometimes I am asking myself if your acquirements are really recent ones or if you show items already in your collection since a longer time? 😉 I am also watching the usual sites and never spotted such items you get in regular intervals 😀 But maybe you have much better searching skills then I have.

But it doesnt matter, always nice to see what is out there!

Thanks guys!
I use to post theese when I only get theese things shipped. So theese are really recent ones. Sometimes (like this time) I'm puttig something eslse also on photo - like the Audiotrix 3D - that was bought about mont or two ago, but Audiotrix Pro is brand new im my collection. I trade quite a lot and buy a lot. I think I'm just lucky to find many of thees on eBay - like that Audiotrix.

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 24063 of 52615, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
seanneko wrote:

Got a brand new Roland MPU-401AT today. Almost seemed like a shame to open the sealed bag, but I bought it to use after all.

IMG_20180629_164326 (1).jpg
IMG_20180629_164522.jpg

Still the best of the original cards. Only Keropi's clone gives it a run for it's money.

Question is, did you have to sell a kidney, a container load of Chinese assault rifles, or something else first? 🤑

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 24064 of 52615, by seanneko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

Still the best of the original cards. Only Keropi's clone gives it a run for it's money.

Question is, did you have to sell a kidney, a container load of Chinese assault rifles, or something else first? 🤑

Got it for $125 buy it now on eBay 😀 It was pretty much an impulse purchase. I just happened to be browsing right when it was listed and hadn't been sold yet. I saw a used one which was missing the cables sell for several times more, so I think that confirms that mine was a good buy.

Reply 24065 of 52615, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
seanneko wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:

Got it for $125 buy it now on eBay 😀 It was pretty much an impulse purchase. I just happened to be browsing right when it was listed and hadn't been sold yet. I saw a used one which was missing the cables sell for several times more, so I think that confirms that mine was a good buy.

That pretty much how I got my Music Quest MPU-401 card... Somebody listed it right when I was browsing for really, really cheap and I snatched it up.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 24066 of 52615, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
seanneko wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:

That's a really good price!

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 24067 of 52615, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chose007 wrote:
Asus FX5800 with Innovatek water cooler […]
Show full quote

Asus FX5800 with Innovatek water cooler

img0831res.jpg

img0835res.jpg

Don't the heatsinks over the RAM need some air blowing over them (provided by the GPU cooling fan that is no longer there)?

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 24069 of 52615, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xjas wrote:

Honestly, I'm gonna have to stop thrifting if this keeps up.

I should listen to my past self. 😜

1.jpg
Filename
1.jpg
File size
295.22 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

This time this beige tower caught my eye. I spotted the zip drive & Creative DVD drive on the front, which was enough to make me pull it off the shelf and turn it around. On the back I see serial and parallel ports, a video card with S-video & VGA, an empty slot where it looks like an ISA sound card used to be, and some kind of MPEG card with a second VGA out(!).

Well, let’s open it up:

2.jpg
Filename
2.jpg
File size
344.52 KiB
Views
File license

Slot 1 system on an Asus P3V133 with a VIA chipset. I can’t remember the last time I encountered that combo, the Slot 1 stuff I find is almost always BX. Three ISA slots is pretty nice.

3.jpg
Filename
3.jpg
File size
305.72 KiB
Views
File license

Turns out it’s a P3/450 with some other choice goodies. All the caps on the board look totally clean too.

4.jpg
Filename
4.jpg
File size
265.42 KiB
Views
File license

Yep.

5.jpg
Filename
5.jpg
File size
897.51 KiB
Views
File license

^^ Somebody really liked Creative Labs, there's at least three Creative products in here including the DVD drive, and I'm willing to bet the ISA slot once held a Sound Blaster 16 or AWE. Surprisingly, the Voodoo card isn't by Creative (it's STB.) This must have been somebody’s LAN party monster rig back in the day, but here it is in bits in my living room 18-ish years later. I wish they’d left the HDD in.

I guess the second VGA out on the MPEG card is for primitive dual-heading? So you can watch DVDs on one monitor while you work on the other?

Anyway, you can see why it followed me home. I needed another beige tower like I need another butthole, but I couldn’t pass up the goods on the inside. That tag on the front is what I paid, so the video card alone was worth the sticker price.

Last edited by xjas on 2018-06-30, 09:21. Edited 4 times in total.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 24070 of 52615, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That all said, I might part this one out and chuck the case. It looks decent in the photos (after I vacuumed it out), but the sides and top are all plastic & pretty warped. A bunch of closure tabs snapped off when I was opening it up and I was being GENTLE.

6.jpg
Filename
6.jpg
File size
122.09 KiB
Views
File license

...and of course I found somebody’s horrible hack job once I'd disassembled enough. Keep those fingers away from THIS fine craftsmanship, folks:

7.jpg
Filename
7.jpg
File size
180.08 KiB
Views
File license
8.jpg
Filename
8.jpg
File size
220.62 KiB
Views
File license

I have better cases sitting empty, and some of them haven't been 'modded' with any rusty hacksaws at all.

But do the guts work? Well, I was a bit bummed out as it looked like it was DOA initially, but after I noticed the CPU wasn’t seated fully in its slot, it fired right up. 😜

9.jpg
Filename
9.jpg
File size
119.79 KiB
Views
File license
10.jpg
Filename
10.jpg
File size
179.63 KiB
Views
File license

Pretty pleased when I saw that screen.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 24071 of 52615, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:
That all said, I might part this one out and chuck the case. It looks decent in the photos (after I vacuumed it out), but the si […]
Show full quote

That all said, I might part this one out and chuck the case. It looks decent in the photos (after I vacuumed it out), but the sides and top are all plastic & pretty warped. A bunch of closure tabs snapped off when I was opening it up and I was being GENTLE.

6.jpg

...and of course I found somebody’s horrible hack job once I'd disassembled enough. Keep those fingers away from THIS fine craftsmanship, folks:

7.jpg
8.jpg

I have better cases sitting empty, and some of them haven't been 'modded' with any rusty hacksaws at all.

But do the guts work? Well, I was a bit bummed out as it looked like it was DOA initially, but after I noticed the CPU wasn’t seated fully in its slot, it fired right up. 😜

9.jpg
10.jpg

Pretty pleased when I saw that screen.

I personally would be keeping any usable biege AT or ATX case right now. AT because they are already becoming somewhat hard to find locally and expensive to acquire online (partly due to increase value, partly due to them being non shipping friendly). In 5 to 10 years time we will have the same issues with ATX cases. Everybody will want multiple cases, and the prices will skyrocket. At least you saved a decent system.

I never have any luck finding PentiumII era stuff around here. I've found multiple S370 PentiumIII systems, and 2 Socket 7 Pentiums but never any SS7 or Slot 1 systems. This sucks too because that era of early 3D is what is interests me most right now.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 24072 of 52615, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just rteurned from a flea market around the corner: 2 A500 + Monitor 50€ 😎

Seller had also a 3rd one incl. Monitor. Thinking about returning and also getting this one, but I am rather running out of space... 😢

DSC_7213r.jpg
Filename
DSC_7213r.jpg
File size
591.94 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 24073 of 52615, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ go get it! maybe the 1084s also have ttl inputs, good for cga!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 24074 of 52615, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^
hmm, yes got it 😒 Paid another 40€ for an A500, 1084 Monitor and 2 big boxes with disks.

Quite good price but I am going to sell most of this again. Main reason to get it that I was afraid the seller is going to scrap it when nobody buys it. Was not that interested anymore. He told me that he tried to sell it the 3rd time and nobody was interested...

Reply 24075 of 52615, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Predator99 wrote:

He told me that he tried to sell it the 3rd time and nobody was interested...

I suppose the wrong audience. I see anything Amiga or Atari ST at a decent price locally and it's an automatic purchase for me. That was such an exciting era of computers and I am very glad I got to be part of it. I just wish those systems had been as popular in the States as they were in Europe because it is very rare (at least in my travels) to find them in the wild like that anymore here in the U.S.

Reply 24076 of 52615, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought a QDI SynactiX 5EP motherboard from eBay cheaply - Your standard Intel 815 based affair in a full size ATX layout. Came with a Coppermine Celeron 1.1GHz chip too. Sadly it arrived badly packaged (normal bubble wrap!) and is totally unstable. Looking at it I think (hope!) that there are some bad caps that are just beginning to bulge. I've ordered some new caps and I hope that it fixes it because it looks like a really nice board - I just hope the thing hasn't been fried by static damage.

Reply 24077 of 52615, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought a PCI --> 2 PCI riser cable so I can hook up two Voodoo 2 12MB in SLI on my next build, based on either the VIA EPIA CN10000EG or a MSI MS-7199 (both VIA C7). I have both motherboards on the way, so hopefully one of them works with the riser. Previous VIA C3 builds work with the riser that I've seen people do with Voodoo 2 SLI. I know both motherboards have all drivers available for Windows 98SE, so I'm hopeful. 😎 This will be going in a Silverstone Raven RVZ02 -- I thought the case was appropriate, since it has a light-up orange "V" on the front. 🤣

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 24078 of 52615, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
wiretap wrote:

Bought a PCI --> 2 PCI riser cable

Umm, unless that cable has a pci-pci bridge, its not going to work like you think it will. It needs to look like this:

PCIBRIGDE-3201-z.jpg

Long story short, 1 device per pci slot.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 24079 of 52615, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It has a PCI arbiter and clock buffer, so I'm going to see if it has a performance impact or not. If it does, I'll have to find a PCI-->2PCI which has a bridge chip that fits in the case. I know a guy who is using one with the same 2PCI board as I ordered, but mine just has a ribbon instead of the 90 degree connector. https://www.sweclockers.com/galleri/14409-via … retro-lan-dator

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals