VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 24080 of 52337, by furan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been on this kick of buying stuff I really wanted as a kid, or stuff that was really unique, for my collection. From now on I've decided to just post stuff when I get it - and today I had an unboxing day of my loot...

bpUnM7o.jpg

Roland LAPC-I and MCB
Generic nVidia NV1 card (Turbo-2000B) with all the games and controller - I am currently negotiating for the bracket. (I got the card cheap and am getting the bracket cheap BTW!)
Sound Blaster 2.0 CT1350B w/CMS chips
Libretto SS1000
Gravis Ultrasound MAX (it took 4 months to arrive, I may have posted it ages ago).

I'll be using these in a couple new builds...for which I'm now paying for additional hobby space (oh boy...).

Reply 24081 of 52337, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ATI R100 - ATI Radeon 32MB SDR AGP (NOS) (2000) (Now I have the 32MB SDR, 64MB DDR, and All In Wonder original Radeons sealed!)
vmTS1G.jpg
DnqR1M.jpg

Ensoniq SoundScape DB (NOB) (1994) Being a huge Ensoniq fan, I've been looking for this for many, many years. Never seen one boxed until recently. 😎 😎 😎

Z0lH54.jpg
jHy6F6.jpg
88gOFE.jpg
DsmEvH.jpg

Ensoniq SoundScape Elite (S2016-II) #3 ISA (1994) (Unboxed, but whatevs - I got it for less than 50 Euro! 😎 )

90tC5U.jpg
lmkIPU.jpg
aVjK8p.jpg
feD6TR.jpg
UjgUB8.jpg
SWI8Pb.jpg
Tdh6Tq.jpg

So, kinda retro? 😀 I mean, the Intel 8086 is old-school right? Intel Core i7-8086K 4.00Ghz (SRCX5) Coffee Lake Anniversary - Limited Edition (Socket 1151) (2018)

This one will NOT be opened (I know, haters gonna hate) but my next build will be Ryzen-based. I've always loved Intel but AMD is doing all the right things lately - at least on the processor side of things. So yes, this is a display piece. I bought this one at the same time as my new Ryzen 7 2700X which will be at the heart of the next build (shown here; Re: Bought this (Modern) hardware today)

ddkXKL.jpg
I2KOkj.jpg
uPtTiV.jpg
JLCqP0.jpg

NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GT - XFX nVidia GeForce 7950GT 512MB AGP (G71) (2006) (I have one boxed and complete, so this one is going into a retro box)

QzhDmO.jpg
cseiHL.jpg

Roland SCM-10AT (SCB-7 & MPU-401AT ISA) (NOS) (1995)

RlELna.jpg
OegbZf.jpg

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 24083 of 52337, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@furan

I just sold a controller bracket on ebay. put it up for $20 starting bid. I fully expected it to sell in the $50-$60 range. It ended up going for 10x that amount.

the prices for NV1 stuff are stupid.

@artex
Wow, I thought the new '8088' processor was just a marketing stunt. if you don't mind me asking, did you win that one from the contest?

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 24084 of 52337, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

@artex
Wow, I thought the new '8088' processor was just a marketing stunt. if you don't mind me asking, did you win that one from the contest?

Nope! This was purchased from Amazon. Definitely a gimmick - essentially a higher-binned 8700K with base clock of 4ghz. But it's also the first Intel processor to boost to 5ghz on a single core at stock speeds. When overclocked, these are hitting 5Ghz+ on all cores. Just another ploy by Intel to take some market share away from AMD. But you are really just paying for a (subjectively) 'better' 8700K.

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 24085 of 52337, by furan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote:

the prices for NV1 stuff are stupid.

Absolutely, it's ridiculous. I paid around 360 for the card and games (lowballed the guy and he took it). And the bracket I wanted was in Italy with no sales to the US, but I got the seller to agree to sell to me with lots of google translate and agreement for a wire transfer, total cost for me, $40. I have noticed a general pattern - buying stuff outside of the US really helps keep the price down. Sure there are things like the LAPC that are always going to be crazy expensive (as far as I could tell), but I'm having a lot of luck with foreign markets.

The only downside is the packing material often smells like fruit farts.

Reply 24086 of 52337, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Artex wrote:

ATI R100 - ATI Radeon 32MB SDR AGP (NOS) (2000) (Now I have the 32MB SDR, 64MB DDR, and All In Wonder original Radeons sealed!)

So you're the one who snagged it! I came across it several times when searching for a dx7 PCI card, but the cost was just too much for me.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 24088 of 52337, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Artex wrote:

So, kinda retro? 😀 I mean, the Intel 8086 is old-school right? Intel Core i7-8086K 4.00Ghz (SRCX5) Coffee Lake Anniversary - Limited Edition (Socket 1151) (2018)

This one will NOT be opened (I know, haters gonna hate) but my next build will be Ryzen-based. I've always loved Intel but AMD is doing all the right things lately - at least on the processor side of things. So yes, this is a display piece. I bought this one at the same time as my new Ryzen 7 2700X which will be at the heart of the next build (shown here; Re: Bought this (Modern) hardware today)

Awesome! Wish I could afford to buy one and never open it. I know someone who won one in their sweepstakes - I don't tend to be that lucky 🙁

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 24089 of 52337, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Artex wrote:
ATI R100 - ATI Radeon 32MB SDR AGP (NOS) (2000) (Now I have the 32MB SDR, 64MB DDR, and All In Wonder original Radeons sealed!) […]
Show full quote

vmTS1G.jpg

I have a question for you guys who buy "factory sealed" stuff - I regularly hit up a pawn shop / retro game store in town who have a shrink wrap machine and put really tidy factory-looking shrink wrap on everything, even their $2 PS2 sports games. They're not trying to rip anyone off - they don't try to pass off what they sell as new - but it seems like anyone with access to such a machine could. High-quality shrink wrap machines aren't even slightly uncommon in the retail biz, and if you think about the amount of minimum-wage store clerks out there hunting for weed money there's an enormous potential for fraud out there. Just stick a nice-enough looking box in one and throw it on Ebay with the usual shoddy low res / high compression pictures & reap instant profit.

How do you verify what you're getting is actually a factory seal? Especially if you never intend to open it? I imagine it would be fairly easy to spot a fake seal if you had the item in your hands & knew what to look for, but on Ebay stuff it seems like a huge risk.

Not trying to throw a firehose on the party, but I'm really curious. Personally I wouldn't pay much of a premium for something 'factory sealed', because if I buy it I'm gonna open & use it anyway, but I do respect the collectibility of it.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 24090 of 52337, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hard1k wrote:
blurks wrote:

Interesting. Didn't know that the board layout allowed for interchangeability of the chipset. Chipsets must be completely pin-compatible to each other.

Funny how this exact question interested me a month ago. At that moment I found the explicit notion of pin compatibility between the 86C775 and 86C375 in their datasheets, and now this picture proves that.
Attention all you Quantum3D fans, I'll show you something interesting related to this topic sometime soon, in the course of a month or so. Stay tuned 😀

Well, it has turned out to be faster than expected.
So, please meet the unique newly made 2D module for the Q3D Obsidian 100SB/200SB, based on the S3 Virge/DX - for the ultimate one-slot SLI Glide+S3d combo:

IMG_0197.JPG
Filename
IMG_0197.JPG
File size
129.29 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_0198.JPG
Filename
IMG_0198.JPG
File size
65.36 KiB
Views
File license

As you may know, the original module was based on the Alliance AT25 chip with only 2 Mb of RAM, not to mention it's being unobtainium (but I also have it in my collection):

mgv2000_01.JPG
Filename
mgv2000_01.JPG
File size
378.7 KiB
Views
File license
mgv2000_02.JPG
Filename
mgv2000_02.JPG
File size
276.82 KiB
Views
File license

The newly made one has the full 4 Mb onboard, while also adding the S3d capability to the Obsidian for the ultimate Terminal Velocity experience 😁
Originally this module was designed for the S3 Trio64V2/DX, that's why I wondered if those chips are pin compatible, and they are. So after confirming this, the chip was replaced in order to bring the S3d, and here it is!

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 24091 of 52337, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did you just make a Voodoo Rush right?

That's pretty awesome (and am really impressed with how professional it looks for a one-off!) Would love to see some pics of it on the card & in action.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 24092 of 52337, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, it could be considered a Voodoo Rush on steroids 😁
But a really "patched" version, with no downsides, only advantages.
I'll make more pictures as soon as I put my hands on it, what I expect to happen in August. And I should mention that I'm not the designer of this pretty piece, rather managed to get it directly from the author who has decided to quit the hobby.

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 24093 of 52337, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Artex wrote:

I actually got the same CPU in my rig currently. I have it delidded and at 5 GHz across all cores. I’m really impressed with it’s gaming performance and temps after delidding.

Reply 24094 of 52337, by furan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MrEWhite wrote:

I actually got the same CPU in my rig currently. I have it delidded and at 5 GHz across all cores. I’m really impressed with it’s gaming performance and temps after delidding.

Same. I used Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut on both sides of the IHS.I really didn't want to open it, but I was too excited. Now I need to sell my 7800k, or gift it to family.

Reply 24095 of 52337, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
furan wrote:
MrEWhite wrote:

Same. I used Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut on both sides of the IHS.I really didn't want to open it, but I was too excited. Now I need to sell my 7800k, or gift it to family.

What cooler do you got on that? I wouldn’t put it on the heatsink side due to fears of it leaking or sticking to the cooler.

Reply 24096 of 52337, by furan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MrEWhite wrote:

What cooler do you got on that? I wouldn’t put it on the heatsink side due to fears of it leaking or sticking to the cooler.

Be Quiet! 360mm silent loop. I ran low on the conductonaut on the outside so it's actually a mix of this paste with the be quiet! paste. Everything sits at 30c or below when idle so it seems to be doing the job.

Reply 24097 of 52337, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
hard1k wrote:

Well, it could be considered a Voodoo Rush on steroids 😁
But a really "patched" version, with no downsides, only advantages.
I'll make more pictures as soon as I put my hands on it, what I expect to happen in August. And I should mention that I'm not the designer of this pretty piece, rather managed to get it directly from the author who has decided to quit the hobby.

That is so damn cool.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 24098 of 52337, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My computer case collection.

Attachments

• pc65440.jpg
    Filename
    pc65440.jpg
    File size
    35.77 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Lian Li
    File license
  • imageproxy.jpg
    Filename
    imageproxy.jpg
    File size
    51.6 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Lian Li
    File license
  • Lian_Li_PC-60_computer_case_20060131.jpg
    Filename
    Lian_Li_PC-60_computer_case_20060131.jpg
    File size
    86.03 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Lian Li
    File license
  • sf-205T2-bkbig.jpg
    Filename
    sf-205T2-bkbig.jpg
    File size
    12.31 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Flower case
    File license
  • 11-112-084-02.jpg
    Filename
    11-112-084-02.jpg
    File size
    19.09 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Lian Li case 20th anniversary edition
    File license
Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2018-07-02, 08:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 24099 of 52337, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

More computer cases

Attachments

• coller master pratorian.jpg
    Filename
    coller master pratorian.jpg
    File size
    13.4 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Cooler master praetorian case
    File license
  • 31505SHBKAL._SX355_ (1).jpg
    Filename
    31505SHBKAL._SX355_ (1).jpg
    File size
    6.35 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Cooler Master case
    File license
  • superflower_2039_1050238.jpg
    Filename
    superflower_2039_1050238.jpg
    File size
    60.77 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Flower case
    File license
Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2018-07-02, 08:58. Edited 2 times in total.