VOGONS

First post, by MartinC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not sure if anyone else will have anything to share here but I'm just now rewatching Gone Girl and found it funny and nostalgic to see Windows 98 on a movie from 2014 😁

Attachments

• Gone.Girl.2014.jpg
    Filename
    Gone.Girl.2014.jpg
    File size
    91.65 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Win98 Gold: 1GHz PIII - GeForce2 - Voodoo2 - 768MB - SCSI 😀

Reply 1 of 18, by gca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Depends on what time period the film is supposed to be set in I guess. Would look even stranger if the film was set when Win95 was current and they were running Win10.

Reply 2 of 18, by MartinC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gca wrote:

Depends on what time period the film is supposed to be set in I guess. Would look even stranger if the film was set when Win95 was current and they were running Win10.

Yeah they had Netflix, iPad's, drones and cars from 2010's so looks to me like it wasn't set in the past

Win98 Gold: 1GHz PIII - GeForce2 - Voodoo2 - 768MB - SCSI 😀

Reply 3 of 18, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MartinC wrote:
gca wrote:

Yeah they had Netflix, iPad's, drones and cars from 2010's so looks to me like it wasn't set in the past

Maybe a closet vogoner then 🤣

Reply 4 of 18, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm still wondering if the dissonance will ever pass for me. Windows 98 is "old" and half of my beard is gray.

Didn't windows 98 come out like 2 or 3 months ago? Where has my life gone Vogons?

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 5 of 18, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MartinC wrote:

Not sure if anyone else will have anything to share here but I'm just now rewatching Gone Girl and found it funny and nostalgic to see Windows 98 on a movie from 2014 😁

Check this out...
http://www.starringthecomputer.com

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 7 of 18, by Asaki

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MartinC wrote:

...found it funny and nostalgic to see Windows 98 on a movie from 2014 😁

It could be Windows 2000 😉

Or maybe ME, I don't remember which one was newer.

That website looks way too advanced to load properly in an MSIE that's that old, though...

Reply 8 of 18, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
wiretap wrote:

I always wanted the clear Apple laptop from Hackers (Powerbook Duo?) 😄

Same here! ^^ I still don't get it how some people can say that acrylic designs are looking old, btw.
Back in the 90s, it was considered very modern and stylish. In Science Fiction, it still is the most modern kind of design.
I also like acryl/transparent designs because they are useful. You can see "inside" the machine, so you'll notice any damage.

Asaki wrote:
MartinC wrote:

...found it funny and nostalgic to see Windows 98 on a movie from 2014 😁

It could be Windows 2000 😉

Or maybe ME, I don't remember which one was newer.

Good point. The background is blue, which was the default settings for those. Windows 98 had green or blue (active desktop).
Unfortunately, we can't make out the definite colour of the taskbar. Windows 2K/Me hadn a sandy/beachy kind of tone,
whereas 95/96 had the "cement look".

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 9 of 18, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote:
Same here! ^^ I still don't get it how some people can say that acrylic designs are looking old, btw. Back in the 90s, it was co […]
Show full quote
wiretap wrote:

I always wanted the clear Apple laptop from Hackers (Powerbook Duo?) 😄

Same here! ^^ I still don't get it how some people can say that acrylic designs are looking old, btw.
Back in the 90s, it was considered very modern and stylish. In Science Fiction, it still is the most modern kind of design.
I also like acryl/transparent designs because they are useful. You can see "inside" the machine, so you'll notice any damage.

Quite common also for Apple to build transparent prototypes - https://vintagezen66.wordpress.com/2013/09/03 … ple-prototypes/

I used to be a big fan of clear acrylic cases, but it can look messy if not done right.

Reply 10 of 18, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BeginnerGuy wrote:

I'm still wondering if the dissonance will ever pass for me. Windows 98 is "old" and half of my beard is gray.

Didn't windows 98 come out like 2 or 3 months ago? Where has my life gone Vogons?

Welcome to the club. I grew out my full beard on a recent fishing trip and realized the only thing that hadn't gone completely gray was my goatee. Everything else? Totally gray. If I grew my hair long I'd look like a grizzled drifter.

Reply 11 of 18, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JidaiGeki wrote:

Quite common also for Apple to build transparent prototypes - https://vintagezen66.wordpress.com/2013/09/03 … ple-prototypes/

Thanks for the link! Reminds me of the Loewe Me-16 TV set from the 1980s.
Back then, such transparent Plexiglas (perspex) models were called "educational" models also.
Probably because they were used for a showcase in science class, physics class, etc.
Now that I think of it, robots and interfaces of constructions sets also often were transparent (sample).
Same goes for the popular Arduino Uno casings, which are transparent, too.

me16.gif
Filename
me16.gif
File size
111.8 KiB
Views
File comment
Loewe Me-16
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
JidaiGeki wrote:

I used to be a big fan of clear acrylic cases, but it can look messy if not done right.

How true! If exposed to sun light or smoke/heat they can become really ugly.
Same if they were stored in a dirty old barn, garage or shack. Just one word: Ants. 😵

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 12 of 18, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Although not a movie, the 18th episode of Little Witch Academia features a Mac 128k.

Attachments

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 14 of 18, by dosgamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Saw a prison documentary recently and all the TVs (CRTs) there were clear plastic. It wasn't mentioned, but I'm pretty sure it's so the inmates can't hide stuff in there:

cleartv-1-600x420.jpg

Edit: seems they make flatscreens too, google "prison tv":

20151118049300.jpg

Coppermine Celeron 800 @ 1.12GHz (8x140) - Asus P2B Rev. 1.12 - 256MB PC133 CL2 - Voodoo5 5500 AGP - SB AWE64 CT4520 - Roland SCC-1 - Intel Pro/1000GT - 1.44MB Floppy - ATAPI ZIP 100 - 120GB IDE - DVD-ROM - DVD-R/RW/RAM - Win98SE

Reply 15 of 18, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dosgamer wrote:

Saw a prison documentary recently and all the TVs (CRTs) there were clear plastic. It wasn't mentioned, but I'm pretty sure it's so the inmates can't hide stuff in there...

That is correct. I don't remember who, but one of the tech vloggers I frequently watch on YouTube posted a video about one of these a few years ago. They also don't have any built-in speakers (Or if they do, they've been disabled), they're designed to only be used with headphones. This was to prevent prisons from being disrupted by the sound of blaring TVs.

Anyway, back on the original topic...my first inclination was that it's actually Windows 2000 or Windows ME...but now I'm thinking that it is indeed Windows 98. The color of the wallpaper more closely resembles that of Win98 (Kind of a greenish-blue/teal color), whereas Win2K and WinME had more of a slate blue or cornflower blue. If the image were a little more clear, and assuming none of the default display settings were changed on the computer in question, I would be able to potentially at least confirm or rule out Win2K, since there are subtle differences in the default fonts it uses for titlebars, taskbar, etc. when compared to Win9x. It wouldn't help much to discern between Win98 and WinME though without seeing video footage of the computer being used outside the IE window.

Reply 18 of 18, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
torindkflt wrote:
dosgamer wrote:

Saw a prison documentary recently and all the TVs (CRTs) there were clear plastic. It wasn't mentioned, but I'm pretty sure it's so the inmates can't hide stuff in there...

That is correct. I don't remember who, but one of the tech vloggers I frequently watch on YouTube posted a video about one of these a few years ago. They also don't have any built-in speakers (Or if they do, they've been disabled), they're designed to only be used with headphones. This was to prevent prisons from being disrupted by the sound of blaring TVs.

Anyway, back on the original topic...my first inclination was that it's actually Windows 2000 or Windows ME...but now I'm thinking that it is indeed Windows 98. The color of the wallpaper more closely resembles that of Win98 (Kind of a greenish-blue/teal color), whereas Win2K and WinME had more of a slate blue or cornflower blue. If the image were a little more clear, and assuming none of the default display settings were changed on the computer in question, I would be able to potentially at least confirm or rule out Win2K, since there are subtle differences in the default fonts it uses for titlebars, taskbar, etc. when compared to Win9x. It wouldn't help much to discern between Win98 and WinME though without seeing video footage of the computer being used outside the IE window.

I actually would say Win2k/ME. Look at the Active Title Bar, it's a lighter shade of blue than the one in 98.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB