Dual boot Windows 95 and 98?

Discussion about old PC hardware.

Dual boot Windows 95 and 98?

Postby Muz » 2018-7-13 @ 14:32

Where can I find a tutorial for Windows 95, and Windows 98 dual boot setup in a Pentium 3 CPU?
Muz
Member
 
Posts: 196
Joined: 2016-10-02 @ 11:40

Re: Dual boot Windows 95 and 98?

Postby weldum » 2018-7-13 @ 15:23

for a pentium 3 machine you may be have some problems, depending on the processor speed and memory amount. aside from that, is relatively straightforward, you can install each windows to a different hard drive and boot each one with a boot manager like plop. also i think you cam install both in different primary partitions on the same disk, and using a custom dos boot menu, you can select which os to boot
Ohh, the humanity :depressed:
386SX 25-C3 800-P3 900-Atom 1.6-C-D 2.13-P4 2.26-P4HT 3.0-P-DC 1.6-AFX 2.6-FX 3.3
User avatar
weldum
Member
 
Posts: 265
Joined: 2016-2-16 @ 07:25
Location: Mendoza-Arg

Re: Dual boot Windows 95 and 98?

Postby jesolo » 2018-7-13 @ 17:00

A Boot Manager is your best option, particularly if you want to install both operating systems on the same hard drive.
Back in the day I used OS/2's Boot Manager to boot between DOS 6.22 and Windows 95 but, the principle remains the same.

The question I have is why you would want to install both Windows 95 & Windows 98 on the same PC? What does Windows 95 offer that Windows 98 doesn't?
User avatar
jesolo
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1475
Joined: 2014-6-24 @ 19:04
Location: South Africa

Re: Dual boot Windows 95 and 98?

Postby derSammler » 2018-7-13 @ 18:05

There are a couple of games using WinG that don't work well with Windows 98, since MS removed hardware-accelerated WinG from Windows 98, making those games run sluggish. Fury³ is an example (funny that this is actually a game by MS).

However, from the Win9x line, you only really need Win98SE. It has DOS, can use VDX and WDM drivers, and is quite stable.
derSammler
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1779
Joined: 2017-4-14 @ 11:30
Location: Germany

Re: Dual boot Windows 95 and 98?

Postby dr_st » 2018-7-13 @ 19:57

jesolo wrote:A Boot Manager is your best option, particularly if you want to install both operating systems on the same hard drive.
Back in the day I used OS/2's Boot Manager to boot between DOS 6.22 and Windows 95 but, the principle remains the same.
Don't know about 95 and 98, but there is certainly no need to have a third-party boot manager for DOS 6.22 and Windows 9x. Windows 9x takes care of everything by itself.

derSammler wrote:There are a couple of games using WinG that don't work well with Windows 98, since MS removed hardware-accelerated WinG from Windows 98, making those games run sluggish. Fury³ is an example (funny that this is actually a game by MS).
Will the difference be noticeable on a fast enough PC (K6-2/3/P-III)?
User avatar
dr_st
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1426
Joined: 2015-4-09 @ 07:18

Re: Dual boot Windows 95 and 98?

Postby ATauenis » 2018-7-19 @ 09:09

Muz wrote:Where can I find a tutorial for Windows 95, and Windows 98 dual boot setup in a Pentium 3 CPU?

You may use older versions of System Commander from V Communications (like 3, 4, 5.0/2000). It have built-in wizard that helps with installing two OSes on same disk.

But the difference between 95 and 98 is too little so there is no need to use both OSes on same computer (except if there is a some bad hardware that can work only with Win95).
2×Soviet ZX-Speccy, 1×Mac, 1×086, 1×286, 2×386DX, 1×386SX, 2×486, 1×P54C, 6×P55C, 5×Slot1, 4×S370, 1×SlotA, 1×S462, ∞×Modern.
User avatar
ATauenis
Newbie
 
Posts: 78
Joined: 2018-5-22 @ 13:06
Location: Moscow, Russia

Re: Dual boot Windows 95 and 98?

Postby jesolo » 2018-7-19 @ 09:15

dr_st wrote:Don't know about 95 and 98, but there is certainly no need to have a third-party boot manager for DOS 6.22 and Windows 9x. Windows 9x takes care of everything by itself.

True, but I don't like to have all my operating systems on the same partition (personal preference).
User avatar
jesolo
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1475
Joined: 2014-6-24 @ 19:04
Location: South Africa

Re: Dual boot Windows 95 and 98?

Postby dr_st » 2018-7-19 @ 10:51

Define "having all my operating systems on the same partition".

The only thing that has to be on the same partition is the bootloader and startup files. Either way, they have to be there, whether it's the OS bootloader or the third party boot manager's.
User avatar
dr_st
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1426
Joined: 2015-4-09 @ 07:18

Re: Dual boot Windows 95 and 98?

Postby jesolo » 2018-7-19 @ 11:39

dr_st wrote:Define "having all my operating systems on the same partition".

The only thing that has to be on the same partition is the bootloader and startup files. Either way, they have to be there, whether it's the OS bootloader or the third party boot manager's.

My reference was specifically to where you have an existing MS-DOS 6.22/Windows 3.11 installation and you want to "upgrade" to Windows 95 but, also retain your old system files.
If you have already partitioned your hard drive to use the full capacity, then you have to install Windows 95 on the same partition.
Since all the startup files are just renamed in the root directory, you have to be careful not to change or delete those files.
Hence, my recommendation for a Boot Manager in order to set up MS-DOS 6.22/Windows 3.11 & Windows 95 on two separate partitions. But, then you will have to re-partition and format and your hard drive in any event.

I seem to recall having issues with using Windows 9x's Boot Loader to handle the start up process between DOS 6.22 & Windows 95 (or, I just didn't like the way how Windows 95 handled it) - that is why I ended up just using OS/2's Boot Manager back in the day for that purpose.
However, I later on realised that there was no real benefit of having MS-DOS 6.22 & Windows 95 on the same system.
So, I ended up ditching MS-DOS completely and just set up a Start-up (Boot) Menu configuration under Windows 95 to either boot straight into MS-DOS 7.x or Windows 95.

However, for purposes of this thread, if you want to dual boot between Windows 95 & Windows 98, the simplest way is to use a Boot Manager.
User avatar
jesolo
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1475
Joined: 2014-6-24 @ 19:04
Location: South Africa

Re: Dual boot Windows 95 and 98?

Postby dr_st » 2018-7-19 @ 13:50

jesolo wrote:If you have already partitioned your hard drive to use the full capacity, then you have to install Windows 95 on the same partition.
True, but as you said, if you want to have a boot manager you have to repartition anyways.

jesolo wrote:Since all the startup files are just renamed in the root directory, you have to be careful not to change or delete those files.
You always have to be careful not to accidentally delete any boot files in the root directory, whether you have 1 OS there, 2 or 15. I don't see why this is a real problem.

Maybe you can say that there is a risk of confusion which set of files you're touching at any given moment (depending on which OS is booted); this may be something I can understand. It's not a big deal in my eyes - most of them are just simple plain text files and you can always revert any changes.

jesolo wrote:I seem to recall having issues with using Windows 9x's Boot Loader to handle the start up process between DOS 6.22 & Windows 95 (or, I just didn't like the way how Windows 95 handled it)
If there are any possible issues, it will be interesting to learn of them.

jesolo wrote:However, I later on realised that there was no real benefit of having MS-DOS 6.22 & Windows 95 on the same system.
That's absolutely true (I've been saying that as well), but if you want to run Win3.11 as well it may be easier to do it this way.
User avatar
dr_st
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1426
Joined: 2015-4-09 @ 07:18

Re: Dual boot Windows 95 and 98?

Postby oeuvre » 2018-7-19 @ 14:00

I'd use System Commander 7 and install 95 on the first partition or drive, then install System Commander in 95 and then use System Commander to install 98SE on another partition/drive.
Lenovo ThinkStation S20 W3680, 12GB, NVIDIA Quadro 4000, SSD + HD, XP/7
i7 9700K, 32GB, MSI GTX1060, NVMe SSD + HD, Windows 10
Image
User avatar
oeuvre
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1907
Joined: 2015-3-31 @ 13:31
Location: USA

Re: Dual boot Windows 95 and 98?

Postby chinny22 » 2018-7-19 @ 15:44

Yeh I also think I didn't like the way Win95 booted to previous MS-Dos when I first upgraded. I seem to remember Win95 renames system files when booting to previous version to get around the below and it was really easy to get mixed up with which system files belonged to which OS, especially if it was say a dos driver install that updated systems files and broke everything.
But it took me less then a month to realise dos is totally unnecessary in a system running Win9x and never bothered since.

For a single Dos/Win9x and as many NT bases OS's as you want the MS Boot loader is completely fine though, as long as you follow the install the earliest to latest rule.

Win9x's cant co-exist though (or different dos versions either) as these OS's EXPECT io.sys to be its own version. this is where 3rd party boot loader trickery becomes useful.

No idea about non MS OS's like OS2 but that wasn't the OP's question anyway
User avatar
chinny22
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1953
Joined: 2011-8-26 @ 12:02
Location: Australian but living in the UK for now

Re: Dual boot Windows 95 and 98?

Postby dr_st » 2018-7-19 @ 18:49

chinny22 wrote:Yeh I also think I didn't like the way Win95 booted to previous MS-Dos when I first upgraded. I seem to remember Win95 renames system files when booting to previous version to get around the below and it was really easy to get mixed up with which system files belonged to which OS, especially if it was say a dos driver install that updated systems files and broke everything.
Somehow I don't remember it being that bad. If I recall, Win9x makes sure that whatever OS is currently booted has the startup files at the standard names and places it expects. So if you are booted into DOS, DOS applications that modify the startup files will alter the correct ones, and the same for Win9x.

chinny22 wrote:But it took me less then a month to realise dos is totally unnecessary in a system running Win9x and never bothered since.
Yep, that's what happened to me as well.

chinny22 wrote:For a single Dos/Win9x and as many NT bases OS's as you want the MS Boot loader is completely fine though, as long as you follow the install the earliest to latest rule.

Win9x's cant co-exist though (or different dos versions either) as these OS's EXPECT io.sys to be its own version. this is where 3rd party boot loader trickery becomes useful.
That's what I was expecting. Thanks for confirming and summarizing it nicely.
User avatar
dr_st
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1426
Joined: 2015-4-09 @ 07:18


Return to General Old Hardware

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Koltoroc, PARUS, realnc, Yawnald and 5 guests