VOGONS

Help installing DVD-ROM on DOS 6.22

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by gladders

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey up folks,

My build came with a Sony DDU1613 DVD-ROM which I'd like to run in DOS 6.22.

I'm not bothered about DVD functionality but would like it to simply run as a CD-ROM.

I have MSCDEX in my DOS folder, but what Sony drivers should work with this?

Thanks

Reply 2 of 24, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Also, I'm pretty sure you can still read DVDs in DOS without any special driver.

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3

Reply 5 of 24, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote:

DVDs use UDF as the file system. MS-DOS don't have support for UDF. While it was possible to use ISO9660 for DVDs as well, that was limited to 2 GB so you won't find many DVDs using ISO9660.

Interesting. Is this true for DOS 7 (Win98) as well? or only <= DOS 6.22 ?

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3

Reply 6 of 24, by gladders

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm stuck.

I've put this in my AUTOEXEC.BAT:

C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:OEMCD001 /L:F

And this in my CONFIG.SYS:

DEVICE=D:\CDPRO\VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:OEMCD001 /V

OEMCD001 because when I boot with my Windows 98 CD, that's the driver is uses, so I assume that will work with this drive,

Unfortunately I get:

Device driver not found: 'OEMCD001'
No valid CD-ROM device drivers selected

What do I do?

Reply 8 of 24, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is your CDPRO folder on your C: or D: drive?
Remove the /V parameter from your Config.sys entry and place it in your Autoexec.bat file as part of MSCDEX.EXE.

My eyes might by deceiving me but, there should be no spaces after C:\ and D:\
If.this does not work, double check your DVD drive connections and jumper settings.

Reply 9 of 24, by gladders

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote:

What's the output of VIDE-CDD.SYS? It should either find your drive or tell you that no drive was found. The latter seems to be the case and causes the message of MSCDEX.

I'm in the folder it's in, and when it type out it's name I get 'bad command or file name'

Reply 10 of 24, by gladders

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jesolo wrote:
Is your CDPRO folder on your C: or D: drive? Remove the /V parameter from your Config.sys entry and place it in your Autoexec.ba […]
Show full quote

Is your CDPRO folder on your C: or D: drive?
Remove the /V parameter from your Config.sys entry and place it in your Autoexec.bat file as part of MSCDEX.EXE.

My eyes might by deceiving me but, there should be no spaces after C:\ and D:\
If.this does not work, double check your DVD drive connections and jumper settings.

Ok, my autoexec.bat now successfully loads the driver, but my config.sys says OEMCD001 isn't found.

Reply 13 of 24, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is your DVD-ROM connected on the same IDE channel (using the same cable) as your hard drive?
If so, then you need to set the jumper on the DVD-ROM as Slave (is normally marked as either Master, Slave or Cable Select) but, you need to jumper either one of the three.
The cable should then be connected with the far end to the hard drive (as the Master) and the DVD-ROM connected in the middle (as the Slave).

However, you can also try to connect your DVD-ROM on the secondary IDE channel (i.e., on its own IDE cable) as either a Master (jumper set to Master) or Slave (jumper set to Slave). As per the above, if you connect it as the Master, connect it to the far end of the IDE cable and, if connected as Slave, in the middle of the cable. I don't normally use the "Cable Select" jumper.

You have to trial and error this, as I've come across some DVD-ROM drives that only works when connected as either a Master or Slave (sometimes, it also only works when connected on the secondary IDE channel).

Reply 15 of 24, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
derSammler wrote:

DVDs use UDF as the file system. MS-DOS don't have support for UDF. While it was possible to use ISO9660 for DVDs as well, that was limited to 2 GB so you won't find many DVDs using ISO9660.

Actually, the limit is only 2GB per file, so you can find/burn plenty of DVDs using ISO9660/Joliet.

tpowell.ca wrote:

Interesting. Is this true for DOS 7 (Win98) as well? or only <= DOS 6.22 ?

I can confirm that "DOS 7.1" (Win98 SE pure DOS mode) cannot read UDF DVDs. The following message is displayed when trying to list directory contents:

CDR 103 Error: CDROM not High Sierra or ISO-9660 Format

Inside Windows, it reads fine. I wonder if a different DOS TSR can lift this limitation, but as far as I found out, no version of MSCDEX or SHSUCDX supports UDF.

Last edited by dr_st on 2018-07-28, 12:25. Edited 2 times in total.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 16 of 24, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gladders wrote:

Thanks jesolo, I'll try that when I'm next in front of the machine.

My CD drive is on secondary Master right now. It has no bridging bit for the jumpers present, do you know what setting it should be? There's nothing on the drive case itself...

Jumpers.gif
Filename
Jumpers.gif
File size
5.31 KiB
Views
File comment
Jumper selection
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

This is normally the layout of the drives at the rear.
Based on your current setup, you want to jumper it as Master.