VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi all,

here's something that, as a kid, I've always dreamed to do and had no idea who to ask.

I noticed that, all of the sudden, games started using this DOS4G/W thing, which was loaded before the game itself. I figured that it was to overcome the 640 KB memory limit.
I remember I even tried to guess, in the EXE file, where would the DOS4G/W "stuff" (all those ascii codes) finished and where the actual game started, copying it, and pasting it on top of another non-DOS4G/W file and see what happened. Nothing useful happened of course.
That was the best I could try (hey I was about 15 yo!).

But now there's the internet 🤣!

Do you know if it's possible to take any DOS executable file of app or game, kind of de-compile and "blend" it with a DOS4G/W or DOS32 code, and re-compile it, to have that program or game use the extended memory too?

Thanks!

They said therefore to him: Who are you?
Jesus said to them: The beginning, who also speak unto you

Reply 1 of 4, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What would be the point?

If the DOS executable works, it means that it figured out its own way around the 640K memory limit. Maybe it's enough for the program, maybe they implemented their own routines to use extended/expanded memory.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 2 of 4, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote:

What would be the point?

If the DOS executable works, it means that it figured out its own way around the 640K memory limit. Maybe it's enough for the program, maybe they implemented their own routines to use extended/expanded memory.

Thanks.
I'm not referring to any exe in particular.
Just for the sake of doing it I mean.

Reply 3 of 4, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Then I believe the answer is "no".

You will need to modify the memory usage model of your program, which for DOS applications is often a very fundamental thing. If you have the source code of the program, you can study it and modify it to use a DOS extender, then use Watcom to build it and bind it with DOS4GW, or the equivalent for DOS32A.

In the case you describe - you don't have the source, and working around bare assembly instructions will only take you so far.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 4 of 4, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote:

Then I believe the answer is "no".

You will need to modify the memory usage model of your program, which for DOS applications is often a very fundamental thing. If you have the source code of the program, you can study it and modify it to use a DOS extender, then use Watcom to build it and bind it with DOS4GW, or the equivalent for DOS32A.

In the case you describe - you don't have the source, and working around bare assembly instructions will only take you so far.

Thanks! I got the answer I was looking for!!