VOGONS

First post, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

can anyone direct me to a good free program to detrect real time CPU speed in DOS? mostly for checking if things like turbo buttons are working correctly or for checking speeds when disableing cache ect....

I know about speedsys but i'm not aware of it able to give you info on CPU speed changes on the fly.

Reply 1 of 11, by SiliconClassics

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Norton System Information does this in real-time. I've used it to demonstrate toggling the Turbo button on & off for a YouTube video. It's not free, but it's not hard to find. The version I used came with Norton Utilities 7.

Reply 2 of 11, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Trixters Topbench is also a very suitable tool for this.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 3 of 11, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have seen NU 7 before and I like it but like you said its not free. is that odd for such an old utilitiy?

i did just download topbench and it seems to work ok, i'm not crazy about the interface. it doesnt seem to display my acual cpu speed and it spasticly switches between several "compariable setups" on benchmarking but at least it gives me a steady number in the corner that drops if i hit the turbo button so at least i can confirm that works.

as a questions thats probibly pretty basic and silly. i notice alot of these programs want you to disable protected mode when you run them for better results. how do you acually go about doing this in DOS or windows 9x? on googleing the issue i just get alot of links on disableing it in IE under windows 7 or vista.

Reply 4 of 11, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
soviet conscript wrote:

i notice alot of these programs want you to disable protected mode when you run them for better results. how do you acually go about doing this in DOS or windows 9x?

Protected mode is used by Windows and certain memory managers like EMM386/QEMM/etc... To keep the CPU in real mode, simply don't run any of these.

Reply 5 of 11, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

System Speed Test v 4.78

And my own test of CPU speed with turbo button and cache factors using PCTOOLS v9.0's System Information utility here, and here.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 6 of 11, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A simple DIR command will give you an idea if Turbo button works or not. I got one 386DX40 recently that I couldn't believe how slow the scrolling was... but then I pushed the magic Turbo button and it flew 😀

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 7 of 11, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kixs wrote:

A simple DIR command will give you an idea if Turbo button works or not. I got one 386DX40 recently that I couldn't believe how slow the scrolling was... but then I pushed the magic Turbo button and it flew 😀

Yes, that's another way. And if you want to be able to have some to observe it, run dir/s on a hard disk.

Reply 9 of 11, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can also try Navrátil System Information (it's free).
It has several utilities including the option to save your system and graphics card's BIOS.

Reply 10 of 11, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

sst478 can be found here: ftp://retronn.de/dos/sysinfo/
Also NSSI: ftp://retronn.de/dos/benches/nssi6/

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool